The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Forum Support > Site Questions and Tech Support (NO FIREARMS QUESTIONS)

Old September 13, 1999, 01:09 PM   #1
frogman6

I couldn't think of a more confusing name for the thread so.....when I enter a thread such as the shirt one above to read Georges (ah hem) witty comments ..... and I come back out using my web browsers back button...all the sections that had new posts on them are now saying that they have no new posts since last time I was here...and as I visit at least twice a day this gets confusing after a while...trying to figure out which sections have new posts...under stand ? after reading what I just wrote I have no idea what I ment.....thanks

------------------
frogman6
Old September 20, 1999, 07:46 PM   #2
frogman6

Back to the top..I command you..to the top I say

------------------
frogman6
Old September 20, 1999, 09:54 PM   #3
DC
Moderator Emeritus

If I understand correctly ..

When you use the "back" button you are loading the page from the cache stored in your browser, not from the TFL server so the cache doesn't reflect new data until you load page from TFL server. That is done by either clicking a forum link (i.e Gen'l, Handguns, etc), or if you are in a forum, hitting your "reload" button

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

Old September 20, 1999, 10:28 PM   #4
[email protected]
Wise Guy

Ok, here's the deal.

When you enter the forums, your computer is passed a bit of information known as a Cookie.

This cookie contains the date and time that you last logged into the forums. So, when you are hitting the back button, the server reads your cookie as being newer than the page you are returning to, so you don't see any of the newer messages.

Instead of hitting the back button, try clicking on the Firing Line logo up at the top left, or using the Hop To box at the bottom.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com
www.bladeforums.com

Old September 21, 1999, 12:50 AM   #5
frogman6

Well I didn't understand any of what you said .....but I understood the solution....so thanks......Frogman6 (aka computer illiterate dude )