The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 22, 2014, 03:24 PM   #76
Nanuk

Most detractor are probably those who use a 300 Win Mag on deer. A 357 will work fine with the right bullet and kept to the acceptable parameters.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 22, 2014, 06:45 PM   #77
Caliche Kid

.357 Rifle

I use the .357 in a rifle for deer a lot. It is extremely effective at ranges less than 125 yards. It's main virtue is very mild recoil and report along with very little wasted or bloodshot meat. This cartridge is very different in a rifle than it is in a handgun because of the additional 400 fps velocity. I have had somewhat better results than the .30/30 cartridge, which I respect and use. It does not have the range or penetration potential on game larger than deer but for game under 300# and under 125 yards, I'll take the .357 rifle. It's a very pleasant and mild round for the shooter and very tough at the target.
Old October 23, 2014, 12:27 PM   #78
fshfindr

ATPBullets, would you use that Trail Boss, I use it at the range in my pistol and luv it.
Old October 23, 2014, 12:29 PM   #79
fshfindr

Zack, I'll be hunting in PA. NJ is too anti gun.
Old October 23, 2014, 02:24 PM   #80
deerslayer303

I've read this ENTIRE thread and I want to throw my .002 in here. For some unknown reason a lot of folks think you need a 300RUM to kill a thin skinned and in most cases a sub 200lb animal at short distances (I live in SC so deer around here are taken mostly 150yards and less). If a deer can be taken ETHICALLY with a 177grain lead round ball traveling at LESS than 1000fps at 100 yards, then there is no reason a .357mag cannot do the job Ethically. I have seen many deer taken with a .357mag at <100 yards with full pass through. The downed animals I've seen were taken with the Hornady Leverevolution ammo fired out of a lever action rifle. Which I think that round is still moving at around 1500fps and and has somewhere around 700ft lbs of energy at 100 yards. I have been hunting deer all of my life and I would not hesitate to take a 357 carbine in the woods and feel confident doing so within the limitations of the round.
Old October 23, 2014, 04:38 PM   #81
JD0x0

I don't think I've ever seen anyone on any of the forums I'm on suggest that you need a .300win mag, or .300RUM for that matter to harvest deer.

That being said, it is of my opinion, that it's better to bring a little 'more gun' than you might need, assuming you can handle the recoil and shoot the cartridge as well or better than a milder cartridge.

.357 is fine if you put it in the right spot. Well hey, so is .22LR, people have been doing it for years, but I would not recommend that at all, and in many/most places that is illegal. As long as the bullet penetrates sufficiently, and as long as the bullet is put in the right spot, it will kill an animal ethically.

The only danger with .357 is using an expanding bullet that is too light/lightly constructed, where it may stop short of vitals. This danger is somewhat larger with a rifle due to the increased velocity. Use a bullet with decent construction and/or heavier weight, and you'll be fine.
Old October 23, 2014, 05:34 PM   #82
NoSecondBest

Lots of advice but not based on experience. A 357mag will kill any deer in North America easily. Easily. Deer are not hard to kill. I've shot over 150 during the last 53 years of hunting and NONE of them were hard to kill. Hit in the vitals they die. Hit anywhere else the may die but not be found. I personally think there are too many hunters out there who simply can't shoot very well and try to compensate with muzzle energy. It doesn't work that way.
Old October 23, 2014, 05:36 PM   #83
deerslayer303

Quote:
I don't think I've ever seen anyone on any of the forums I'm on suggest that you need a .300win mag, or .300RUM for that matter to harvest deer.
I'm not talking about these forums with self proclaimed experts I'm talking about what I've seen and been around in person in all my years of hunting deer and being a member of various hunting clubs. I can't tell you the number of guys I see show up with ridiculous rifles to shoot a whitetail and 150 yards or less. Then when they do harvest one the carnage to the carcass is crazy, its just wasted meat. I've seen 338, 300 RUM, 300 Win Mag, 7mm Rem Mag, I've even seen a guy show up with a 375H&H. Then he proceeds to tell me he doesn't want to lose any more deer . MY opinion is its just not necessary. I'll keep dropping them where they stand with my 30-30 and .303.
Old October 23, 2014, 07:11 PM   #84
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
The only danger with .357 is using an expanding bullet that is too light/lightly constructed, where it may stop short of vitals. This danger is somewhat larger with a rifle due to the increased velocity. Use a bullet with decent construction and/or heavier weight, and you'll be fine.
Total BS. I'm willing to bet a .357 round has never entered a deer broadside and stopped short of vitals.

Unless you're using a safety slug it's impossible.
Old October 23, 2014, 07:32 PM   #85
JD0x0

Quote:
Total BS
If the bullet fragments dramatically on impact (especially after a hit on bone) it can happen. Does it happen often? Probably not. But with the extra few hundred FPS from a rifle, it could happen with a light bullet that is lightly constructed and not intended for the high velocity of a rifle.

A bullet designed for an impact velocity of 1400FPS (maximum) is not always going to fare too well when it's coming out of a rifle at 2100+FPS.

Quote:
American Quik-Shok JHP 125 gr (8.1 g)
1,409 ft/s (429.5 m/s) 551 ft·lbf (747.1 J)
Expansion: fragment
Penetration: 9.0 in (228.6 mm)
Old October 23, 2014, 07:44 PM   #86
Snyper

Quote:
Quote:
American Quik-Shok JHP 125 gr (8.1 g)
1,409 ft/s (429.5 m/s) 551 ft·lbf (747.1 J)
Expansion: fragment
Penetration: 9.0 in (228.6 mm)
I'm pretty sure if you poke 9" into the right spot on a deer, you will be well into "vitals"

Most wouldn't choose the lightest bullets for hunting purposes anyway
Old October 23, 2014, 08:03 PM   #87
JD0x0

Quote:
I'm pretty sure if you poke 9" into the right spot on a deer, you will be well into "vitals"
I take gel tests with a grain of salt. It doesn't equal real world performance.

FBI standard is 12-14'' yet you rarely see LE bullets exit on humans... How many humans have chest cavities that long (front to back)? You see what I'm getting at, yes?

Also, who's to say that those fragments that went 9'' in, went perfectly straight? They often deflect out to the side a bit, which could mess with hitting the intended vitals.

I always took gel tests as a simple repeatable test that could be used to compare projectiles in the same conditions each time. It doesn't mean that it will have the same performance on a human or deer. Rather it'd tell you what the bullet does in a flesh like medium without bone, so that you could compare different projectiles in the same medium.
Gel block don't have ribcages, and I don't trust FBI gel to accurately emulate penetration through both bone and flesh.
Old October 23, 2014, 08:26 PM   #88
skizzums

after hearing the "go-getters" and the "naysayers", I still plan to use my sub-par .357. I feel comfortable that f I do my job, it will do hers. I understand shot placement trumps and that is the very reason for choosing this rifle. I can get repeatable 1" groups with irons without trying to hard. I am sure the AR would do it too, but it has a massive scope and although very accurate, it just seems like in the trees I would fare better with old school irons on a lightweight rifle. the only decision is the bullet selection which I have still not totally decided on.

also, I just really love the gun and I shoot it very well. the deer here are pretty "puny" in my opinion, so I don't think it'll be an issue, pretty much the same size as most two-legged meatsicles
Old October 23, 2014, 08:31 PM   #89
Super Sneaky Steve

Quote:
That's exactly right. And I have more than just gel tests to prove it. Want to see what a 125xtp does out of a rifle? Check out my liver shot. Like I said before, full pass through.

http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/...99/Liver_2.jpg

*blood warning*
Old October 23, 2014, 08:39 PM   #90
deerslayer303

Skizzums,
The Hornady Leverevolution .357mag round is a Nasty critter! It will put em in the dirt. You can buy just the bullet as well to load your own.
Old October 25, 2014, 04:13 PM   #91
skizzums

I will definitely check them out. I am always happy to give hornaday my money. they always seem to have what I need in stock and for 60-70% of the cost of their competitors.