The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 7, 2005, 04:15 PM   #1
DeltaWhiskey

Field strip for SAA style revolver

I'm trying to fix up a J.P. Sauer & Sohn SAA revolver, a Western Marshall model in .44 Magnum. Could any of you weathered, wisened veterans of the dusty trail and the Purple Sage advise on how to filed strip this piece? the loading gate is flapping in the breeze and I want to tear it down to inspect the gate pine and spring.
Old October 8, 2005, 08:59 AM   #2
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Most traditionally-built SAAs require that the grip frame and the trigger guard frame be removed to get access to the interior of the firearm. I have a Hawes Western Marshall (same gun) but haven't had it apart in 30 years.
For a schematic of your gun, go to http://www.e-gunparts.com/productsch...ERN%20MARSHALL
Hopefully this will help.
Good luck.
Old October 8, 2005, 09:47 AM   #3
Quantrill

Why not also try HARLEY NOLDEN's section??? Might be some more info for you. Quantrill
Old October 8, 2005, 12:52 PM   #4
DeltaWhiskey

Thanks for all of your replies. Got the piece stripped down enough to see what I needed to see. Couldn't remove the cylinder bas pin from the front. had to take a brass punch and tap it from the hole in the rear of the frame and out through the fromt. My friend's dad appears to have abused this revolver a bit in the past.