The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 28, 2012, 01:27 PM   #26
mete

When gun #1 fails you draw gun #2 and continue . That's called the "New York Reload " !!
Old November 28, 2012, 03:02 PM   #27
TBT

I’ve been really lucky with my ccw being 100% except for the “Taurus Incident”. In that case I got rid of the gun the next day (believe it or not Gander Mountain actually took it back). Other than that I’ve carried a Glock 26, Kimber UCII, SW1911, Glock 19, M&P9FS, and most recently, a SIG C3 1911. All of these guns have had 500+ flawless rounds of my chosen self-defense ammunition as well as varying amounts of range ammo. My C3 currently has a little over 900 rounds through it, 650 being Golden Saber.

If it were to fail tomorrow I don’t know what I would do. Would probably depend on the failure. I think my recourse would be to get the gun back to the factory and have them check it out and then maybe have my gunsmith look it over for good measure. It would have to be retested with more ammunition etc. Which is expensive. That’s the thing the warranties don’t help with, re-evaluating a firearm that has failed. I’m really glad that I haven’t had a problem outside of that Taurus mistake.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:12 PM   #28
LockedBreech

I've had two malfunctions out of the approximately 1,000 rounds fired through my LCP. The first I was waiting for. I was seeing how many times I could take it to the range without cleaning or lubing it. I think I was at visit 3-4, around 200+ rounds in, when I had a case stick in the chamber. It was PMC Bronze FMJ. About 500 rounds later, I was introducing the pistol to a friend and shooting out my old carry ammo to put fresh in. A 102-grain Golden Saber nosed up in the feed ramp and jammed. Easily cleared, and since I've had plenty of the Saber feed perfectly, I'm pretty positive he limp-wristed it. I still keep the 102-grain Golden Saber loaded.

Neither malfunction troubles me. When I'm actually carrying it, I maintain it very exactingly, and I shoot with a firm, steady grip. I've had one malfunction from lip-writing with a friend's new Ruger SR9. I was getting used to the trigger and the shot took me by surprise, I limp-wristed BADLY, I was calling it a jam before I ever saw that it was, and sure enough, failure to eject.

My failure rate has been exceedingly low. Of all the centerfire pistols I've ever shot, I think I've had 5-6 failures total in tens of thousands of rounds.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:39 PM   #29
Coltman 77

To answer the OP's question, and not trying to sound snotty but I make it a point not to carry pistols that malfunction.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old November 29, 2012, 12:12 AM   #30
Coach Z

To use an analogy...

If you're car throws a check engine light or even breaks down over the life of it not many people would sell it instantly. I fully understand that a gun is different and held to a much higher standard but, that said, they are both mechanical devices with a known and acceptable failure rate. Your acceptable rate may be above or below the median for each of those different machines but they are both machines plain and simple.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:24 AM   #31
armsmaster270

I haven't had that problem but if I did I would clear it and continue firing.

If it was just a misfire I would fire the round again as in my experience a second firing pin strike on the primer will fire the round in most cases.
Old November 29, 2012, 09:43 AM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If you're car throws a check engine light or even breaks down over the life of it not many people would sell it instantly. I fully understand that a gun is different and held to a much higher standard but, that said, they are both mechanical devices with a known and acceptable failure rate. Your acceptable rate may be above or below the median for each of those different machines but they are both machines plain and simple.

False analogy.

You use your car every single day. You don't with your gun.

If you want to use that type of analogy. Use it with the air bag. Don't use it every day. It's there just in case you need it. Same as a gun.

Comparing a gun to a car is false.

Comparing a car to a safe is more like it.

Again, airbag. Don't always use it..There when you may need it. You pray to whatever you hold sacred to not ever need it.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:13 AM   #33
BILLG

You guys with your 100% guns are living in a fairy tale world.Because all weapons can fail it is a fact of life.Practice your mal function drills and don't be caught with your pants down.Even revolvers can fail be prepared.My suggestion is to practice your mal functon drills and always carry a back up.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:31 AM   #34
allaroundhunter

I swap it out until I can diagnose and fix the problem. Your G19 seems to just need a new extractor.

Once that is done, I put about 200 rounds downrange to make sure the problem is fixed and carry it again.

*I had the same problem with my G19. I replaced it with an M&P9 and now switch between carrying each, and throw a 1911 into the mix quite often as well.

Last edited by allaroundhunter; November 30, 2012 at 10:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old November 29, 2012, 10:46 AM   #35
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
You guys with your 100% guns are living in a fairy tale world.Because all weapons can fail it is a fact of life.Practice your mal function drills and don't be caught with your pants down.Even revolvers can fail be prepared.My suggestion is to practice your mal functon drills and always carry a back up.
+1 academy training agrees. lol

Quote:
I swap it out until I can diagnose and fix the problem. Your G19 seems to just need a new ejector.

Once that is done, I put about 200 rounds downrange to make sure the problem is fixed and carry it again.

*I had the same problem with my G19. I replaced it with an M&P9 and now switch between carrying each, and throw a 1911 into the mix quite often as well.

Really? It's only about 1,000 rounds old. Seems right through..

Definitely test fire the hell out of my guns before I carry them for CCW or any other reason.

lol you sound like me. 2 9mm's and 1/2 .45's in my cycle as well.
Old November 29, 2012, 12:09 PM   #36
allaroundhunter

Quote:
lol you sound like me. 2 9mm's and 1/2 .45's in my cycle as well.
My 1911 is actually closer to 9mm..... .38 Super

Quote:
Really? It's only about 1,000 rounds old. Seems right through..
There were many problems with Gen 4 extractors (especially in 9mm).... I thought they had it fixed, but yours might have slipped through....
Old November 29, 2012, 01:24 PM   #37
Tactical Jackalope

Darn. Mine is relatively new too. With the "dot" connector. Oh well...Guess I'll give Glock a call. Or look at a local smith over here. I'm not in a rush.
Old November 29, 2012, 04:36 PM   #38
Nanuk

Clear the malfunction and drive on.

Analyze the malfunction. Sounds like ammo or magazine issue without delving deeper into it.

Everything mechanical fails at some point and firearms are fairly complex. It is for this reason I carry a BUG.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:24 PM   #39
scsov509

Quote:
There were many problems with Gen 4 extractors (especially in 9mm).... I thought they had it fixed, but yours might have slipped through....
+1, Similar problems have also been reported with the ejector and recoil spring assembly, although usually these don't start appearing until about 2,000 rounds or later. However, it's still something worth looking at as well.
Old November 30, 2012, 04:06 PM   #40
Brian48

Quote:
Im with Deja Vu. I carry a 638 J Frame and thats one of the biggest reasons. I have in the past tried new carry pistols and have had a couple of malfunctions and when I did that pistol came all the way out of rotation. I know mechanical things mess up and there are alot of variables like ammo, bad mag...etc but once it happens its just something I personally dont feel comfortable with anymore. If I ever needed to use it the last thing I want going through my head id " I hope this thing works"...lol thats why I have stayed with the snubbie. I have never had a revolver break or malfunction on me yet.
+1
Old November 30, 2012, 05:03 PM   #41
RC20

Quote:
To answer the OP's question, and not trying to sound snotty but I make it a point not to carry pistols that malfunction.
Well, not snotty but I would be seriously interested in your crystal ball that tells you when your gun is going to malfunction so you can be sure you are carrying one that does not? Wallmart sell those? Made in China?

You maintain the gun as best you can, and if it acts up and there is not a damned good reason (you correct and then test and prove it), it goes into the hold group until resolved.

Revolvers are probably (or were) more reliable than semi autos but they are not a guarantee though they sure don't have some failures.

I have carried a gun with fewer than 200 rounds for CC as I felt good about how it did.

Partly I go by feel and if I am wrong, so be it.

I had one failure in a semi auto and that was a gun that was kept around and simply not lubed (at the range where it occurred). It was one of my keep around guns.

It was huh?. Took it home, lubed, cleaned it and back to perfect function. Note to self, you can't just leave them unshot and unlubed for that long.

Live and learn.

No pat answer, do the best you can.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:58 PM   #42
Tinner666

I had a few doubts when my new G26 stacked a few. Took a few more rounds to realize the wife only was having the issues. It was limp wristing and I was able to relax my wrist enough to duplicate the issue.
Thankfully, stacks and other FTF's have been few and far between with any of my pistols going back many years. Thankfully, I've never relied on the second or third shots, but I can clear it fast and naturally if necessary.
Old November 30, 2012, 08:28 PM   #43
LockedBreech

Carrying a backup is not feasible for me, I'm a professional and even when I'm not working I like to look sharp, so i will not and/or cannot dress around my weapon. That's why I like my little LCP so much. .380 is no powerhouse, but I practice regularly and can put all 7 on a small paper plate at 7 yards in a hurry. And most importantly I have the little thing tucked on me almost 24/7 because the whole package, loaded and chambered LCP + holster is only 13.3 ounces - by comparison my iPhone 4 with a Magpul case is 5.7 ounces and my Benchmade Mini-Grip EDC is 3.3 ounces.

Friend got a kitchen scale yesterday lol.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:19 PM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

^^^ lmao that's awesome!

SIG 1911 XO - Custom SA Mil-Spec 1911 - Colt Golf Cup Trophy 1911 - Colt Series 70 1911 - SIG P226 e2 - BHP Stainless - BHP Blue - W. PPQ - Glock 17,34,19,21,22 - S&W M19-4 - Hk USP 40
Old December 3, 2012, 08:27 PM   #45
1hogfan83

My gun will never fail. Its an HK
You believe that there is one God. Good! Even the demons believe—and shudder. James 2:19
"I do not fear the man that practices ten thousand kicks one time, I fear the man that practices one kick ten thousand times." Bruce Lee
Old December 3, 2012, 11:07 PM   #46
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Do you swap it out with the next gun you're adequate with?

Do you not carry it until and X amount of rounds are run through it to ensure it's good to go?
Both of these, though I've yet to experience it. That's just what I plan to do if it ever happens. My Kimber UCDP has had no failures since the beginning 8 or 9 years ago. If it ever does, hopefully it'll be at the range, at which time I'll find out what's wrong and run at least another 100 rounds of Hydra-shoks through before I'll pronounce it GTG. In the meantime, I'll probably carry my Glock 26. I have several handguns that have never failed.

If it fails at the wrong time, I have to rely on my BUG, that is if I have time and option to deploy it.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:22 AM   #47
Rob228

I run a malfunction drill and get it back into the fight. Then I assess what happened (ammo, magazine, weapon?) and keep shooting. If it goes through 100 or so rounds without the same malfunction it stays where it is.

Clearing the malfunction is something that is not practiced nearly enough. Those who only accept 100% reliability from their carry gun still need to practice clearing malfunctions just like those of us who realize that it is a machine that can malfunction at any given time.
Old December 4, 2012, 07:14 AM   #48
Kreyzhorse

My first CCW gun was a Taurus M85. It froze up solid at around 250 rounds. I never trusted it after that and sold it off. It was replaced by a S&W 637 which has been flawless.
Old December 4, 2012, 04:26 PM   #49
Coltman 77

RC 20: "
Quote:
Well, not snotty but I would be seriously interested in your crystal ball that tells you when your gun is going to malfunction so you can be sure you are carrying one that does not? Wallmart sell those? Made in China?
I use HK pistols genius.

Most reliable pistols on the planet, except possibly some Glock products.

(Of course no pistol is immune from malfunctions and I've been trained well to address those issues. )

BTW, I don't appreciate the nasty tone of your post at all.

Why not keep it constructive? We're all friends here.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old December 4, 2012, 04:38 PM   #50
TunnelRat

Quote:
I use HK pistols genius.

Most reliable pistols on the planet, except possibly some Glock products.

(Of course no pistol is immune from malfunctions and I've been trained well to address those issues. )

BTW, I don't appreciate the nasty tone of your post at all.

Why not keep it constructive? We're all friends here.
You complain about his tone then use the same when you call him a "genius"? That's real mature.

I also own HK pistols, 3 currently, and have owned another 4 in the past. I have seen them jam on occasion, as hard to believe as it might be. They may be less fallible than some other options out there, but no gun is infallible.
Maintain situational awareness

Last edited by TunnelRat; December 4, 2012 at 07:38 PM.

Tags
ccw , malfunction