The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old November 30, 1998, 10:15 PM   #1
Bushwhacker

Got any suggestions for a "beginner's" handloading set. Want to start reloading my own brass for 9mm, .223, .38/.357, .44mag.
Old December 1, 1998, 12:06 AM   #2
Kevin

RCBS Master Realoading set
a little over $250 from midway
http://www.midwayusa.com

The kit has everthing you need to start

Old December 1, 1998, 11:06 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

If money is tight Lee has a starter set for somewhere around $100.
I started on an O-Ring press with a friend that had been reloading for years. It allowed me to learn all the steps instead of having them done for me automatically. Since then I've stepped up to a couple of Lee Turret presses and a Dillon. I still use a single stage for some reloading. Currently I have four presses on my reloading bench.
Old December 2, 1998, 12:48 AM   #4
ShadedDude

I bought the Lee O-ring set and regreted it. I have a friend who has the RCBS set, and just recently got a dillon turrent press. I *wish* I had gotten the RCBS, and I plan to in the future replace all my lee stuff for RCBS. If you can afford it..the turrent press is pretty incredible. I loaded 400 rounds of .357 in an hour. Thats start to finish. But most of us dont reload enough to warrent the expence. But if money is tight...I have made it by on the Lee press for 4 years now. But later on you will want a RCBS.

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 2, 1998, 01:13 AM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

It all depends on your money supply, I guess. I'd check gunshows for a good used RCBS press, the fully enclosed, not a C-type. If there is no wobble to the ram, it's as good as new.

I'd buy carbide dies, since they'll be appreciated by your grandkids. If you don't run all your fired brass through a tumbler, you can wipe out "regular" dies really quickly. Lotsa scratches...

If you shoot competition, get a Dillon progressive or equivalent. I bought one of the first Dillon's, and if I concentrate on what I'm doing, I can crank out around 100 an hour of .45 ACP...

You can also find a lot of used stuff of the "thingummy and whichit" sort at the gunshows, usually around half of new prices. Taper reamers, primer pocket cleaners (more used for rifle), case-lube pads, shell-holders...

Used powder measures are okay, but I'd go with a new scale. I'll defer to others' judgement on scales, although I've used most of the brands. I started out on an old Pacific scale where you put the weights in the pan and adjusted the beam-weights for your load. Wuz I ever glad when magnetic damping came along!!!

Loaded a bunch of '06 with an old Lyman 310 "tong" tool.

I guess the key is a lot of caution until you're fully familiar with whatever you decide on. It's real embarrassing to be in an IPSC match and have a round with no powder, in your string. Sure can do funny things on the next shot, too...

If you're a reader, hunt up the 100-year old book by E.B. Mann, "The Bullet's Flight From Powder to Target". Read up on some old-time target shooters like Harry Pope, who's said to have used only one cartridge case, reloading for every shot. He was known as "The Human Benchrest"...

Another old book for some historical perspective is Phil Sharpe's "Complete Guide to Handloading". It gives a detailed view of the world of reloading in the 1930s-1950s.

Best regards, good luck, and good shooting!
Old December 2, 1998, 09:58 AM   #6
VDoe

My brother-in-law recently gave me an RCBS starter kit (press, scale, etc.) and a set of Lee carbide dies for .40 S&W. Any opinions as to mixing the Lee dies with the RCBS press? I haven't actually done any reloading on my stuff yet, but have been learning on his older RCBS press.

Chris
Old December 2, 1998, 11:48 PM   #7
Matt K

If you have the money get a Dillon progressive machine. very fast and the best customer service I have seen for any company in any industry. IF you cant spend as much you should look at the Dillon AT500, lot less money and it can be upgraded to a 550B

Matt K
Old December 3, 1998, 01:19 AM   #8
ShadedDude

You can mix the Lee dies and RCBS press no problem, I have been using RCBS dies in my Lee press for a loooong time. Also used some of my Lee dies in my friends RCBS press. Also used RCBS in the dillon.....

------------------

Mouse Assassins inc.
Old December 7, 1998, 11:04 PM   #9
dundee

before getting equipment do yourself a favor and buy a reloading handbook by Sierra,Hornady,Lee. There is a video tape or 2 available that should be very valuable to help you start loading. These will show you the basics. If you are a member of a gun club check out who loads and ask them to show you how they load. If I was starting over again I would go straight to Dillon.
Old December 9, 1998, 07:36 PM   #10
DC Alcantara

I'm a first time reloader and went to a Dillon. I wish I would have done this the first time around and saved myself a lot of money and frustration from buying someone elses bullets or waiting for sales on ammo. With a progressive reloader you pay money upfront but with all the ammo you load you can shoot till you can't stand it anymore. Shooting lots is what makes one a better shooter, you still have to focus on form...Good luck and good shooting...
DC

------------------

Old January 9, 1999, 09:39 PM   #11
Douglas in CT

Okay...... we get the point.

~Douglas in CT
Old January 9, 1999, 10:51 PM   #12
Shooting1911

I'm just one more voice in the choir singing the praises of Dillon Precision reloading presses. Their products are very well made and easy to learn (even as a beginner)although I'm glad I reloaded a couple of hundred rounds on a friend's RCBS single-stage before I went to the Dillon so I had a better sense of the process. Dillon's customer service is unbelievable. Really. As a beginner (or even as an old reloader like me) you'll have a question about your press. They are extremely knowledgable and willing to explain it in simple terms without making you feel stupid for asking. Their stuff is guaranteed for LIFE - and they mean it.
Old January 14, 1999, 03:08 AM   #13
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Good Lord, this is like deja-view all over again again.

Old January 15, 1999, 04:14 AM   #14
Doc

OK, Yogi. Actually, I am a Dillon fan in extremis. Very fine tools, very fine company. - Doc
Old January 15, 1999, 05:03 PM   #15
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

If Rich finds this, he'll tan our hides, right?
-------
Unite!
Old January 15, 1999, 09:04 PM   #16
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Dennis' comment refers to the fact that each of the previous posters received error messages and reposted their responses multiple times....looked like an assembly line!

I've cleared the duplicates and have no answer....other Forums were fine during the time this was occurring. Apologies all around...there are certain Ghosts in the Machine that may *never* be identified.

Regardless, I can assure you all this will never happen again!

Dennis thanks very much for the email "heads up".

Rich

Old January 15, 1999, 09:07 PM   #17
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Pretty funny, huh?....Well I got the same "Internal Server Error" that you guys are getting, whenb I tried to post the last message. My apologies, but I'm gonna assume it's a glitch in the thread.

In short, I'm gonna lock this thread...please continue it under the same title:"Part Deux".
Rich

[This message has been edited by Rich Lucibella (edited 01-15-99).]
Closed Thread