The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 31, 2001, 06:48 AM   #1
cplough

How to Disassemble Savage 112 Bolt ?

I'm accurizing my Savage rifle and only have bolt work and bedding left to do. Can someone point me to directions for disassembling the bolt, so I can install a Tubb SpeedLock system, lap the bolt face and polish the cocking ramp? I used to disassemble an old Remington 700 bolt for cleaning, but can't figure this Savage one out.

I have already taken firing pin protrusion measurements, so re-assembly and adjustment shoudn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance,
Chris
Old October 31, 2001, 09:30 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Chris, e-mail me to remind me and I'll send you complete instructions. George
Old October 31, 2001, 12:41 PM   #3
Glockster35

George can you send it to me also please?
Old November 2, 2001, 12:06 PM   #4
Lefty

Not to burst your bubbles here, but over on the xtreme accuracy & benchrest forums there were quite the volumous threads about "speedlock" firing pins. The bottom line?? Yes, decreased locktime, but also decreased the accuracy due to the shock, recoil if you will, from the lightweight pin still being hit by the same or more poundage firing pin spring. Those that installed them took them out, including a buddy of mine with an accurized Savage 22-250 in an aluminum bedding block stock. He cursed the rifle, the smith who crowned and bedded it ... until he replaced the speedlock f-pin with the stock one ... now he's back to small ones.

FWIW -- just clean everything in there well and give it a good polish -- try it 1st, you have nothing to lose and $60 to gain !!
Old November 2, 2001, 07:58 PM   #5
cplough

Lefty,

Thanks for the info. The reason I considered using a SpeedLock system is because I use the rifle for both bench and offhand shooting. The decreased lock time usually doesn't matter from the bench, but does matter for offhand. You have valid points however. Since I already have the kit, I'll see what the targets say and report back. Maybe someone else can learn from me (or my mistakes!)

George,

Thanks again for the instructions; they definately help.

--Chris
Old November 6, 2001, 01:58 PM   #6
Lefty

Chris:

Good point on the disntinction when using for offhand shooting. I know Tubb is a high-power guy and have heard that those shooting offhand silouette use these. A test report would be great if you could post one !! Have fun and tight groups !!

Lefty
Old November 7, 2001, 01:05 PM   #7
cplough

Should have the rifle back together in about a week and half. Right now, the stock has been milled out and I'm gonna start glass-bedding it. Once that is done, I'll test it with both firing pins and report back.

I've already assembled the bolt, and have found one disadvantage - the spring is stiffer and even though I polished the ramp, cocking takes more effort. If I hadn't polished and lubed the cocking ramp and pin, I'd worry about galling the metal.
Old August 29, 2007, 05:09 AM   #8
DKarlsen

I recently bought me a Savage 11GL 308 Win. wich, of course I`we had some accuracy problems with. (Altough it might come from the ammo I use, S&B Match 180Gr) Still testing, but I think I need to get it bedded.

Anyways, I was wondering about the disassemble of the bolt. Are there any links to a page or something with pictures? I find it rather strange that nothing came with the rifle. My last purchase was a CZ452 Lux .22 and the instruction manual on that one was great.

Cheers!
Old August 29, 2007, 01:55 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

So a light or short-fall firing pin means a stronger spring! Surprise. I think it was Newton who said, in his wisdom, "there ain't no such thing as a free lunch."

Jim