The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old July 9, 2013, 11:14 AM   #76
SHE3PDOG

All I know is, I don't want to be shot with any caliber, but I think everyone participating in the debate should donate their bodies to science so that we may test out which calibers are truly dominant!

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old July 9, 2013, 02:32 PM   #77
csmsss

I prefer the .45 ACP to the 9x19, but do not ascribe to the notion that anyone can be pigeonholed just because they prefer one caliber to another. We each have our reasons. Why can't it be left at that?
Old July 9, 2013, 02:36 PM   #78
csmsss

Quote:
What I can say is that once a given round hits the human body, the amount of energy in that round determines the amount of damage it can do.
Not even close, at least as far as this discussion of 45 vs. 9mm. Neither cartridge has "energy" capable of inflicting serious trauma (ie hydrostatic shock). The trauma inflicted upon the human body by a 9mm or .45 handgun bullet is determined by the structures which are cut and torn by the bullet itself.
Old July 9, 2013, 02:43 PM   #79
Iron Man

Ah, I carry one of the following:

.22 derringer
.22 Magnum derringer
Colt .25 ACP vest pistol
Walther PPK .380
Walther PPK/S .380

And sometimes I carry:
Walther PPQ .40 S&W
Springfield Champion compact 1911 .45 ACP

But, I had a great uncle, Frank, who was shot 12 to 14 times with a .22 rifle and lived. Not only did he live, he took the rifle away from the man who shot him and beat the assailant to death with it (literally). After he healed he went to fight the Japanese in WWII. He was the family bad a$$.
Old July 9, 2013, 03:52 PM   #80
windstrings

Re: The real difference between those who carry .45 acp and 9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmsss View Post
Not even close, at least as far as this discussion of 45 vs. 9mm. Neither cartridge has "energy" capable of inflicting serious trauma (ie hydrostatic shock). The trauma inflicted upon the human body by a 9mm or .45 handgun bullet is determined by the structures which are cut and torn by the bullet itself.
Agreed, you never know what the situation will be when that nasty moment arises. I just don't think it will be a long drawn out shootem up like on TV. Shooting through a wall or car door has pros and cons as does a 10mm with even more penetration.
But I have to always think about "what gun might they have", I don't want to be disadvantaged and don't want to contend with shooting "walking" wounded.

But better to have a gun you will carry, you will shoot, and you can hit with regardless of how it looks on paper.
Old July 10, 2013, 09:47 AM   #81
Spats McGee
Staff

The original topic of this thread was "The real difference between those who carry .45 acp and 9mm." (emphasis supplied). It was not intended to be another Caliber War. (This is a hint.)
Old July 10, 2013, 12:09 PM   #82
windstrings

Re: The real difference between those who carry .45 acp and 9mm

I didn't know anybody was at war we are talking about the differences of those who carry two different calibers of weapon what are you talking about?

Maybe I'm new here, you must be a moderator?

Maybe I should talk about people who carry 45s like Shiney shoes and eat seafood and prefer their steaks rare?

I thought we were on subject?
Old July 10, 2013, 12:16 PM   #83
Spats McGee
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by windstrings
. . . . Maybe I'm new here, you must be a moderator? . . . . I thought we were on subject?
Yes, I am & no, you weren't.