The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 31, 2005, 11:07 PM   #1
Farmhand

Henry Big Boy

I like the looks of the Henry Big Boy. I was thinking about a 44 mag rifle to take to the range and to complement a 44 mag revolver. I saw them get a great review in Gun Test a couple of months back - actually beating out a Winchester 44 mag. I cannot find a Big Boy in stock anywhere - maybe they are getting bought up pretty quick or maybe they are not popular so gun shops are not stocking them. I did look at the Winchester and it looks like a solid gun - but I don't like the loading system. I think loading directly into the magazine tube by just dropping down the tube is much easier. I know the Big Boy does offer the drop into the tube loading.

Are the Big Boys a good quality gun that I can pass down or is the Winchester better made? I would like to hear about peoples experience with the Henry rifles; especially in their quality and durablity.

Thanks, Happy New Year.
Old January 6, 2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Big Cabin

I have both the Big Boy and the Golden Boy. Both are well made and very accurate rifles. You would do well by buying the Big Boy or a Puma over the Winchester. The actions are MUCH smoother and the overall quality is IMHO better. The Big Boy is a beautiful rifle as well. I am not a big fan of the tube load but for all the other great attributes, it is fine.
Old January 8, 2006, 10:57 AM   #3
Wayner

The Henry Big Boy utilizes an alloy frame or reciever and I wonder how it will hold up way down the road. I think I'd go with the Puma for the money but I bet the Winchester Model 94 would have the strongest action and be better "way" down the road. Nowhere as smooth I'd bet but stronger probably. I'd want to ask the manufacturer of the Big Boy what the reciever is made of just to get an idea of how strong it may be. 44 mags build plenty of pressure in a rifle.