The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 17, 2012, 06:04 PM   #1
sbuttrick

Colt Trooper Question

I own an original version Colt Trooper .357 which has the original grips and is smooth as glass. The interesting thing is the stamp on the barrel. Colt made a little mistake. The barrel is stamped "ROOPER". I emailed Colt several times to find out if they were aware of these and how many were mis-stamped. I never received an answer from them.

Has anyone else heard of or seen one of these? Maybe I have the only "Colt Rooper" in existence, that would be cool.

Thanks,
Scott
Old November 17, 2012, 06:21 PM   #2
jhenry

I used to have an early 4" blue Trooper. It was my first modern handgun. Wish I still had it. t was smooth and accurate. It was a LE trade in with some finish wear, and I used to carry it in a nice Bianchi holster. A great woods gun. I sold it to an Italian guy I was in the service with from Stuebenville Ohio. He got rid of it after nearly shooting a guy in an act of negligence on his part. I hope it has a good home.

Colt Rooper huh? I think that is just cool. It likely does not add any real value to the thing, but it does raise the cool factor a couple of notches in my estimation.
Old November 17, 2012, 07:51 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

While factory mis-marks aren't common, they do happen.

The barrel marks are applied with a roll stamping machine that rolls a hardened steel wheel with the stamp engraved on it over the barrel and presses the stamp in.
What can happen is the roll die is damaged and they don't catch it, or the die may have been accidentally lifted off the barrel for about a letter's worth.

I'd guess you have a one of a kind mis-mark Trooper.
This probably doesn't increase the value, and would probably decrease the value unless a collector who collect mis-marks would buy it.
Old November 17, 2012, 09:12 PM   #4
sbuttrick

Thanks for the answers. My Dad bought the gun in 1962 and I love it because it was his, shoots well too. Unfortunately the ejector rod tip was lost at some point in history. I have been looking for one, but they seem to be hard to find.
Old November 18, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5
22-rimfire

Love it... a Colt ROOPER! The original Colt Trooper was a good revolver. I have always wondered why they went with such a heavy barrel.