The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2011, 03:38 PM   #1
konodl18

point of aim with 38 spl snubby reloads

I've got 2 different reloads I use with my snubby 38 spl. First is a 125 grn Hornady xtp with w231. My gun groups these best with about 4.8 grains of w231. At 7 yards it creates about 1.5" to 2" groups.

The other load is a wadcutter, I can't remember the weight right now, I've got a box of 500 of them I've been burning through. But with about 3.0 grns of w231 it groups even better. 7 yard groups of 1" not bad for a snub.

Here's my question, the xtp's group well but hit about 2" left. The wadcutters hit dead-nuts on the bullseye. Why does this happen and is there a way to manipulate this through powder and bullet choices or reloading tricks of some sort?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Derek
Old June 1, 2011, 04:57 PM   #2
konodl18

note:

Just looked, the wadcutters are 148 grn hollow base. If I went with the heavier hornady xtp's (140 grn or 158 grn) do you guys think they would pull right and hit at the bullseye or at least closer?
Old June 1, 2011, 05:09 PM   #3
moxie

No. I think what's happening is you are mashing the trigger a bit with the heavier loads. You're finessing the trigger with the light wadcutter loads. Try a lot of dry firing. Two good tricks are alternating the two rounds in the cylinder, and alternating the heavier rounds with empty cylinders. Practice. I think the problem is nothing more than trigger control.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 1, 2011, 10:43 PM   #4
joneb

moxie may be correct, but fixed sight wheel gun sights are regulated for a certain load. Recoil and dwell time are not the only factors at play here, another is barrel twist which imparts torque on the firearm.
Old June 1, 2011, 10:49 PM   #5
shootniron

You may well be the difference in poi.

Last edited by shootniron; March 2, 2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:05 PM   #6
Civil War Life

Is there an explanation of what these things mean? Like what is thumbing etc.

Thanks.
Old June 3, 2011, 03:17 PM   #7
zxcvbob

38's usually have the sights regulated for 158 grain bullets. 148 is close enough, but 125 is not. Try shooting some 158 grain lead bullets and see where they go.

The weight is the main thing that matters here, not whether or not it's "+P". (Jacketed vs. lead might also make a little difference)
Old June 3, 2011, 06:19 PM   #8
konodl18

weight or velocity?

Thank you for the reply Bob. I'm sure that I'm not a perfect shot, admittedly far from it, but I don't think that I'm pulling the shots or anticipating recoil on the xtp's. The recoil is easily managed with either load. Thank for that chart though, I haven't seen that before and I can definitely stand to learn something from it.

I thought that the bullet weight was probably the issue, but wasn't sure. Bob, you are saying that the powder charge, +p rating, or velocity are going to be less important than the weight of the bullet? Makes sense to me I would have to assume the velocity will make a difference but I would easily believe that the bullet weight trumps velocity when it comes to shifting poi.

Thanks for all the replies fellas, I'm excited to learn more. Obviously a wealth of knowledge here. Glad I found this site!

Derek
Old June 3, 2011, 08:18 PM   #9
zxcvbob

I may be wrong, but the bullet weight is by far the most important.
Velocity doesn't matter much because a faster bullet will recoil more (thus kicking the the barrel up more) but it also exits the barrel sooner. All this should mostly effect the vertical POI, but try using the "right" weight bullets and see if it helps.
Old June 3, 2011, 09:28 PM   #10
Gbro

C W L you ask;
Quote:
Is there an explanation of what these things mean? Like what is thumbing etc.
This Chart is much better.
My link might not be working. This is the address,
http://www.targetshooting.ca/docs/Pi...t_Analysis.pdf

Last edited by Gbro; June 3, 2011 at 09:41 PM.
Old June 3, 2011, 10:00 PM   #11
TXGunNut

Dunno which snubby you're shooting but my S&W J-frames are amazingly accurate with 148 and sometimes 158 target loads. It takes a very firm, consistent grip and very deliberate sighting but these little guns really can shoot! Once at quals (witnesses!) I managed to fire the first four rounds into a ragged hole @ 15 yds but saw the group, broke my concentration, and threw the next shot about .5" out. I'm a longtime PPC shooter but was still impressed by the accuracy of my "belly gun".
For paper punching I'd consider the goup size first. For SD, it won't much matter for typical SD ranges if your POI and POA are 2" apart. Simply hold center mass and repeat as necessary. If POI/POA discrepancy is an issue for a deliberate shot you'll know from your range time where the correct hold is.
It's fun to discover the potential of these snubbies. Often a load can be tailored to hit POA. If not, "hold tight and favor the X-ring".
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 16, 2011, 05:27 PM   #12
konodl18

Just picked up some hornady xtp's in 140 grn size. I will load some this weekend and let you guys know if the poi pulls back to the right with the heavier bullet like the wadcutters did.

Derek

Tags
38 special , 38 spl , point of aim , w231