The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 27, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
rml4uk

Concealed Carry Advice

I'm graduating with my Masters in a couple weeks and I have gift money I want to use to buy a handgun for concealed carry. I have $400-$600 to work with. What would you recommend in that price range (I'd be happy to take suggestions for both new and used weapons)? So far I've looked at a Taurus Millennium Pro, the Ruger LC9, the Kel-Tec P11, and the Kahr P9. The Kahr is by far my favorite so far and Buds has a used one at the store for $529. I'm also lucky enough to live 15 minutes from the store so I don't have to worry about paying for shipping or an FFL. I await your suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Old April 27, 2011, 04:12 PM   #2
Kingcreek

Go with a Kahr P9 or CW9+mag+ammo.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Billy Shears

I'd say that before buying anything you should go to a range and shoot as many different pistols as you can possibly get your hands on.

Having made that disclaimer, I'd go with the Kahr. Great little pistols.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:23 PM   #4
9mm

Glock 26/27(and with the 27 you can get a 9mm convert barrel to shoot 9mm and save money!)
Old April 27, 2011, 04:30 PM   #5
YZR

If I were to be purchasing my first carry gun right now I would be looking at one of the compact 9mm's that are on the market. The Ruger LC9 is one of them. The Kel-Tec P11 or PF9 are good choices too.
I am personally not a Glock fan mainly due the the high potential of an AD.
Just my $0.02.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:39 PM   #6
skifast

I carry a FN FNX-9. It is a great gun.
Old April 27, 2011, 04:44 PM   #7
lawnboy

What are you used to? Or are you completely new? I always recommend CCing what you are familiar with unless what you are familiar with is totally unsuitable for CC.

"A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her"-- W.C Fields
Old April 27, 2011, 04:50 PM   #8
S_Constitutionist

Yep- the best advice is to rent and shoot all of them. That will make the decision for you.

The Kahr CM9 or PM9 are worth looking at as well.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:07 PM   #9
ice monkey

Get the Best

Congratulations on your masters! Get the handgun you like the most even if you have to leverage yourself … you only get a masters once (well I would hope). You deserve to treat yourself to whatever you want!

Again congrats!
Old April 27, 2011, 05:09 PM   #10
dsa1115

My advice to you is to rent before you buy. No sense in spending your hard earned money on a gun and finding out after the purchase that you don't like it.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:17 PM   #11
SteveBonning

go online and do some basic research, or, conversely the book stores, keeping in mind that most of the magazines that cover guns rarely say anything directly negative about a gun--it's bad for advertisers. However, you can get a lot of good basic info to start with.

Do some online research from unbiased sources such as the USA Concealed Carry Association and other forums.

Narrow your choices down to the ones that fit your criteria/needs, then go to the range and rent them

For concealed carry, I've got the SMith & Wesson Bodyguard 380 and just bought a Glock 36; both fit my hands, shoot well, have what I want in a CC gun and have proven reliability with all types of ammo.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:22 PM   #12
CWKahrFan

IMHO... For everyday carry, I advise to pay a LOT of attention to weight... 99+% of us will never need to fire our carry guns in a self-defense scenario... So, to me,... Lugging heavy guns around is kinda old-fashioned... So when you've got your choices narrowed down remember that in the unlikely event that you ever need it, a lighter choice can be just as deadly as a heavy choice... As the years roll on, I appreciate LIGHT guns more and more.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; April 27, 2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:29 PM   #13
scsov509

Quote:
I am personally not a Glock fan mainly due the the high potential of an AD.
Yeah, that must be why all those law enforcement agencies are staying away from Glocks these days. I'm no Glock lover, and in fact just sold off my last Glock in favor of the M&P and 1911. But I'm just curious, where are all the "accidental discharges" that you feel necessitate such a warning?

OP, congrats on your masters. I bought a RRA M-4orgery when I finished mine, and hope you enjoy your celebration as much as I did mine. I almost bought an Olympic Arms rifle when I was celebrating my masters even though I knew what I really wanted was the RRA. One of my friends pointed out I'd only be doing this once and encouraged me to get what I'd want to keep. I've always been glad I listened to his advice, and would encourage you to consider the same. Your budget gives you a lot of options to consider, especially if you're looking used as well. So whatever you choose, make sure it's something you really want and don't short yourself by trying to purchase something on the cheap.
Old April 27, 2011, 05:54 PM   #14
vyse.04

Quote:
I'd say that before buying anything you should go to a range and shoot as many different pistols as you can possibly get your hands on.

Having made that disclaimer, I'd go with the Kahr. Great little pistols.
Took the words right out of my mouth.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:00 PM   #15
Roland Thunder

I agree about the Kahr pistols. Once I tried the PM9 I was hooked so I bought one. The CM9 is almost the same as the PM9 only a couple hundred$ cheaper. The PM9/CM9 is a good light weight option.

Love my PM9
Old April 27, 2011, 06:07 PM   #16
JC57

If you like the Kahr P9, I'd suggest looking at the Kahr CW9 which is essentially the same gun with a few cost-saving measures to reduce the price, and the somewhat smaller Kahr CM9 that just came out.

I have a Glock 26 myself and while it is a fine gun, it's a little chunky so concealing it takes more thought to your attire and holster choice.

The Kahrs are thinner being single-stacks, and the CM9 could reasonably be pocket carried (in a decent pocket holster).
Old April 27, 2011, 06:15 PM   #17
kkramer673

You can't go wrong with a Kahr P9.
Old April 27, 2011, 06:30 PM   #18
Mokumbear

Kick it up a notch!

I find the Walther PPS in 9mm is simply a joy to carry, shoot and clean.
I carry mine in a High Noon IWB holster.

It's so thin that I can wear it with shorts and a t-shirt.
It also fits your budget. BTW, I got mine from Buds.

IMHO, this is a quality firearm. Don't mess with some of those other
manufacturers you mentioned. Buy one new and you will be enjoying it for a long time!

Good luck!
Old April 27, 2011, 06:39 PM   #19
Dknight16

I've owned at least 50 different handguns over the years. I've been carrying a Kahr P9 daily for 8 years. I seriously can't imagine a better carry gun. Simple design and controls, light polymer frame, rust resistant stainless steel slide, great trigger pull, useful sights, etc. It's got it all!
Old April 27, 2011, 07:19 PM   #20
Glockfan35

+1 for the Glock!

Even saying that, I'd go with the P-11, PF-9, or LC9 (if it's even available yet). I really like the DB380 and want one myself really bad. I also would like to try the DB9 whenever they're up for sale at the LGS's. I carry a Glock 26 every day, but I do sort of like pocket pistols, for something I can slip into my jeans pockets and head out. Ultimately though, they'll have to try a few out and see what works best. My other carry weapon is a S&W Bodyguard 38, which goes great with pocket carry or ankle carry as a backup.
Old April 27, 2011, 07:23 PM   #21
zombieslayer

I would suggest you shoot as many as possible. That said, the PPS and Kahr are two very popular choices. Both are well-made and have a good fit and finish.
My personal choice is the PPS. Its a fantastic shooter, and is very comfortable to carry.
Old April 27, 2011, 07:37 PM   #22
rml4uk

Wow, so much great advice! Now, I want to address several replies...

First, I am not new to guns. I had gone shooting several times in the past and bought my first gun after Thanksgiving last year (Taurus 1911 - I know... "a Taurus?!" - I wanted a 1911 but didn't want to break the bank. I'm actually really happy with it).

Second, JC mentioned the CW9. I had actually started reading about that this afternoon and from what I've read, it seems nice. From what I can tell, the main difference between the P9 and CW9 is the rifling (P9-poly rifling, CW9-conventional rifling). Are there any really noticeable pros or cons between the two?

Lastly, a lot of you have suggested to get something that I'm really going to be happy with. So far that means the used P9. I would like the LC9, but I have big hands and the Ruger's grips are very thin. I'm not a big fan of the Kel-Tec's grips either. The grips on the P9, sorry for the pun, fit my hand like a glove.

I know it's a good idea to rent several guns to see what I like, but the problem with renting guns is it eats away at the amount I have to buy one...

I still have some research to do. I'll hopefully be making my purchase by this weekend. I'll keep checking this board for advice and let everyone know what I decide on!
Old April 27, 2011, 08:25 PM   #23
9mm

To me a gun is a gun, except Taurus and a few other brands.. If it fits alright in my hands and looks good. I will buy it. I can learn to control its groupings.
Old April 27, 2011, 08:40 PM   #24
vyse.04

Quote:
From what I can tell, the main difference between the P9 and CW9 is the rifling (P9-poly rifling, CW9-conventional rifling). Are there any really noticeable pros or cons between the two?
The machining on the slide is a little different as well, and your options are limited as far as sights go for the CW/CM. As for the differences between the rifling... Poly rifling adds a little velocity and accuracy, but IMO neither would be noticed by the average shooter (myself included). They are more prone to fouling with lead ammo though. I'd say go with the best deal, which will more than likely be the CW9, if you can live without the added features.
Old April 27, 2011, 09:52 PM   #25
bsg1

i'd suggest you include the G26 in your group of hopefuls; the known reliability of the G26 supports my suggestion.

Tags
advice , carry , concealed , handgun