The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 23, 2008, 10:51 PM   #1
DaveInPA

Help! My powder is "staticky"

Hi everyone. I got my Lee classic turret press kit today. Set it up and love it so far. I just have one question. The powder coming out of the pro auto disk powder measure seems to have a static charge or something. I noticed when dumping a charged case into the scale pan, some powder sticks in the case and I have to tap it out. Any ideas?
Old February 23, 2008, 10:59 PM   #2
Darren007

I always thought that was kinda normal. What kind of powder are you using. I've noticed mostly with flake powders like Red Dot, but stick and ball powders do it as well.
Old February 23, 2008, 11:11 PM   #3
DaveInPA

Winchester 231
Old February 23, 2008, 11:29 PM   #4
rwilson452

Give the autodisk and anti static treatment. either wash it in Joy and let dry or wipe it down with an anti static dryer sheet. Then dist it with some powdered graphite. You can get powdered graphite at about any hardware store. It is used to lubricate locks.

Quote:
Hi everyone. I got my Lee classic turret press kit today. Set it up and love it so far. I just have one question. The powder coming out of the pro auto disk powder measure seems to have a static charge or something. I noticed when dumping a charged case into the scale pan, some powder sticks in the case and I have to tap it out. Any ideas?
Old February 23, 2008, 11:38 PM   #5
Sevens

RWilson has the ticket-- the dish soap wash is what I've used in the past.

A note -- "tapping" your powder measure, whatever kind of measure you have, is not something you want to get in to the habit of. You want to come up with a boring, repeatable technique that you can do exactly the same every time to get the most consistent throw. Tapping it, rapping a knuckle on the powder hopper, compacting powder or trying to get it to do anything is not conducive to tossing a repeatable charge.
Old February 24, 2008, 01:07 AM   #6
DaveInPA

Sevens, just to be clear I wasn't tapping on the hopper. I was tapping on the brass cartridge casing to get all the power out of it into the scale pan.

Do I just take the whole powder measure and wash it in joy and water? Metal parts and all?
Old February 24, 2008, 01:36 AM   #7
scsov509

Quote:
Do I just take the whole powder measure and wash it in joy and water? Metal parts and all?
Just the hopper should be fine, that's all I've ever done.
Old February 24, 2008, 06:57 AM   #8
Sevens

Yep, just the plastic parts for the wash. Works great with the plastic funnel.
Old February 24, 2008, 09:27 AM   #9
BHP9

Get one of the Bounce sheets (used), cut a 1" wide strip, place into the hopper, just to the bottom, and drape the remaining strip outside the hopper, then tape to the side, fill up hopper slowly.

Viola, pas statique.
Old February 24, 2008, 01:50 PM   #10
Shoney

In order to deal with static, you should know a littlemore about it. Static is more prevalent in dry air. During the winter, the humidity is lower (cold precipitating out moisure, not only outside, but inside as well).

rwilson452 gives a good way to deal with static, and that should be done initially. Hovever, the static will return, and usually right in the middle of a good run. For a quick fix when it does, simply take a slightly damp cloth (not wringing wet), and wipe down the outside of the measure, particularly the glass/plastic. Then when you have time to break the measure down and treat it, do so.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old February 24, 2008, 02:52 PM   #11
rwilson452

Another solution to this issue is to get a humidifier for your room or house. keeping the humidity up around 40% will help a lot.

steal an old 2 qt sauce pan and put it on the stove to simmer. About a pot later you should be in good shape. maybe two if you have a large house.
Old February 24, 2008, 09:35 PM   #12
dogfood

I have used the Bounce (or alternate dryer sheet) technique, and it seems to work well for me. I just wipe the hopper down with a sheet whenever I start reloading.

A note of caution: I tried wrapping the hopper of my Hornady powder measure permanently with a dryer sheet. I don't recall the brand, but it ended up bubbling the plastic on the hopper. I have no idea why ... but it has not gotten worse by simply wiping the hopper down with every reload session. Just an FYI.

dogfood