The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 18, 2000, 06:11 PM   #1
Cuz

I'm considering, and have always wanted to build or have built, a custom rifle from a Mauser action. I want to do as much of the work as possible myself and leave the close tolerance work to the smiths. I know its more expensive than buying an "off the shelf" rifle, but keep in mind that I will be building it over a 2-3(or more) year period.I want to build it in a benchrest/varmint configuration( light trigger,heavy barrel,etc.)but I also want it to become an heirloom of sorts, with heavy engraving and such.(It wont be something I will be dragging through the swamps or beating trails through briar patches with The things I need to know would be:
Which Mauser action is the strongest for the price?Im looking at buying a complete rifle and Ive seen some that are "k-98" for decent prices in condition "good" and some others for around 100.00..whats the difference?which condition should I look into?
Which countries should i stay away from?
I would like to build it in .222 or .220 Swift, would the long 8mm action feed this properly? I also plan to make this a single shot by installing the glue in bench rest follower.
What about parts availability, which model Mauser would be best?? things like custom barrels, scope mounts, custom triggers, bolts that have bolt handles already bent?
I guess what Im asking is, which Mauser action should I use to do this?
Thanks for any help you can give me, Cuz
Old January 18, 2000, 11:09 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Cuz, I'd go with a VZ-24 if it was me. It's the basic 98 action and everybody and their brother makes triggers, safeties, etc. for them. You can get these for $100 just about anywhere. As long as you get good to very good condition you'll be OK. The one thing that you may not have thought of in making it a single shot is the extractor. The Mausers are controlled feeding rifles and the extractor will at least need to be slightly chamfered in order to work properly. I've never tried it so I don't know if it will work but you might look into installing a Sako type extractor. That would convert it to push feed. If you really want to make an heirloom of it I'd go for having a nice bolt handle welded on. That's about all I can think of right now. But if you have any more questions as the project goes along please post them as well as keeping everyone informed on your progress. George