The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 16, 2015, 03:12 PM   #1
ingEneer22

S&B 5.56 Brass NOT good for 300BLK

Just an FYI for those of you that cut down .223 casings to make 300BLK casings. I've had success doing this for a while until I ran into some S&B 5.56x45 brass. Cut it down and went to re-size the casing and found that there was a considerable amount of force required to form the case. The shoulder was never fully formed on any casing. After getting a few stuck in the die, I discovered it was the S&B brass giving me the issues. The casings can NOT be chambered properly. The improperly formed shoulder will not allow the round to fully seat and the bolt will not lock into battery.

I've heard CBC brass is the same way.
Old February 16, 2015, 03:25 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Sounds like they just don't anneal their cases far enough down the neck for you to form. You may be able to do that yourself. But before you do, since they were much harder to form, put a magnet up against them just to make sure they aren't brass washed steel. I don't believe S&B makes anything like that, but it only takes a second to double-check.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old February 16, 2015, 07:38 PM   #3
243winxb

Some brands will produce neck diameters to large to chamber without neck reaming.
Old February 17, 2015, 01:37 PM   #4
ligonierbill

I find S&B to have significantly less capacity than others. One published max load overfilled the case. Could be thicker brass.
Old February 19, 2015, 07:51 AM   #5
jmorris

A collection of converted case neck thicknesses by brand is here: http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/view...?f=141&t=88599

{Edit: Anything off another board is copyrighted material, so posting it without permission and attribution violates the board rules on posting copyrighted materials. The link is OK, but requires an introductory sentence to explain its relevance to the thread, also by the board rule against drive-by posting, so I edited one in. Note that in a twist to copyright law, facts, such as the raw data in the quoted post, may not be copyrighted, so you could have organized the data in your own document in an original way, and posted it with your own explanations, though if you copy the exact formatting of the original presentation, you might still be in violation of copyright law. The way I solve that is to put data in Excel, and if the original was sorted on brand name alphabetically, I'll just sort on the result in descending order instead.}

Last edited by Unclenick; February 19, 2015 at 09:04 AM.