The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 8, 2011, 05:43 PM   #26
Doc Hoy

As far as weights are concerned...

I am using a combination of stick-ons and clip-ons.

I called up the major manufacturer of clip on weights and she told me I could rely upon at least 95 percent, depending upon the cost of the alternate metals. But she also said that a lot of weights are imported from China and the alloy is not identifiable.

I know that the balls I cast are very close to the appropriate weigh for pure lead. They also pass the thumbnail test but that is as close as I can get to identifying the alloy with the measures at hand.

It is entirely possible that this lead is much purer than I am thinking but I doubt that it is less pure.

When I got hold of the ballast, I got it from a ship stability team in the shipyard. All the guy would say is that it is "relatively pure."
Old June 8, 2011, 07:29 PM   #27
Hawg

I've made balls out of clip on weights. They're bigger as well as harder, they don
t shrink as much as pure lead when they cool. Minies made out of them are difficult to load and the bore has to be cleaned after a few rounds. Minies made out of stick on weights load easily in a dirty bore.
Old June 8, 2011, 08:59 PM   #28
bedbugbilly

Doc - I keep coming back and looking at your photos of the drawer case you made. A nice way to keep everything organized. I carry my stuff to the place I shoot in an old Union Army tarred haversack that I used in reenacting 25 years ago - age appropriate I guess. Anyway you could sketch me up something to put inside that to keep organized? Naw . . would probably be too bulky and besides, my wife has been trying to get me organized for almost 40 years. I am thinking though that something like you made would be a good "winter project" and would be helpful now that I have a couple of big 44s instead of just the 36s.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 9, 2011, 05:31 AM   #29
Doc Hoy

"B cubed"

How is your better half with a sewing machine?

You could get her to make a pouch affair that rolls up. Remember how they once did cleaning kits? It would take a little planning and figuring. But that kind of a thing might work.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:15 AM   #30
Hawg

I have a friend that might could make you something. She makes possibles bags out of canvas and does custom embroidery to spruce them up if you like. She could use some likes on her face book page too if that's not against the rules here. http://www.facebook.com/pages/K-A-Em...57334680992417
Old June 9, 2011, 05:22 PM   #31
starbuck125

doc,
you are indeed a true craftsman!!! you done a great job. wish i could do that.amazing .
Old June 9, 2011, 06:37 PM   #32
Doc Hoy

Too kind, 125

Runnin out of stuff to build