The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 26, 2009, 12:30 PM   #1
kirpi97

Dragoon or Walker???

I am looking to the BP enthusiast for help with my next purchase. I have enough for only one, but I want two. So which BP revolver is a better deal for the same monies, same condition. The Walker or the Dragoon? What are the pros and cons? I am not concerned about the collect ability or the makers only the revolver itself. The load and the discharging of the firearm. So if you have both styles, which do you prefer? And if you own either one, what do like about it or don't like?

I am hoping that through you, I can save some money and enjoy the world of the big loads. Thanks.
Old January 26, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
CraigC

My preference would be the Dragoon strictly because the loading lever latches down. Pick the variation you like best, I like the 3rd model for the round triggerguard. First choice would be to drive the 120miles to Dixie Gun Works so I could inspect it first. Otherwise, I'd probably order it from Cimarron.
Old January 26, 2009, 02:46 PM   #3
mykeal

First of all, I own two of each:

The substantive differences:
The Walker is significantly heavier with a longer barrel and cylinder. The frames, including the grips, are the same size. The weight is a disadvantage when trying to hold on a target, but an advantage in that it reduces perceived recoil. Although the grips are the same size the Dragoon is easier to shoot one handed.

The Dragoon loading lever has a better designed latch which almost eliminates problems with the lever dropping down when the gun is fired.

The Walker holds close to 10 grains more powder. It is also more accurate at heavy loads; that is, 45 grains to a Walker is not a maximum load, and it will be more accurate at that load than a Dragoon, in which 45 grains is a max load. That said, the Walker will use powder faster and is thus more expensive to shoot.

The longer Walker barrel (by 1 1/2") provides a longer sight radius and can thus be aimed more accurately, in theory.
Old January 26, 2009, 06:33 PM   #4
Hawg

I don't have either one but I like the Walker, even if the lever does drop down.
Old January 26, 2009, 07:17 PM   #5
Hoss Fly

I ain't gonna say nuthin cause i'm not a fan of either
Old January 27, 2009, 03:18 AM   #6
Smokin_Gun

Well about all I can say is I have both, got my Colt Signature 1st Model Dragoon 2005, and the only thing that stopped me from getting the Walker were alot of holster Revolvers. I just got my walker in November. It's hard to choose between um as they are simular but much differant guns. You'll be more likely to holter carry the Dragoon than the Walker depending on your structure/build. I'll leave it at that...I'll not sell either as I like u both better but differant.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 27, 2009, 11:28 AM   #7
kirpi97

Now I see why I can't decide. Them with both, extol the virtues of both without a commitment either way. Those with one or the other, but not both, side with the one they have. And them with neither are split.

I guess this comes down to a coin flip. Heads I buy the Dragoon and tails it is the Walker. Or should it be the other way?

Thanks for the considerations. I am off to the back room to flip the coin.
Old January 27, 2009, 01:46 PM   #8
pohill

I had both but I recently sold the Dragoon. It was a great gun but I can get the same shooting experience from my Ruger Old Army or a hot-loaded 1860 44 Colt. The Dragoon is more of an everyday shooter than a Walker (the Walker uses more powder, is heavier, uses the same sized balls).
If I were to have only one BP revolver, a Walker or a Dragoon, I'd probably go with the Dragoon.
But I have (too) many and the Walker is unique.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:38 PM   #9
CraigC

You probably just need to decide which to get first. I'm sure you'll end up with both, I know I will. I just wanna get the 3rd Dragoon first.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:50 PM   #10
SIGSHR

I have both, the Dragoon feels better in my hand. Better balanced.
Old January 27, 2009, 10:51 PM   #11
Smokin_Gun

I like the Grip of the Walker better and balance of the Dragoon...the next Biggun I procure will be a Whitneyville Dragoon if I can find one...they have the grip of a Walker being the first Dragoon made but the balance and weight of the Dragoon.

SG
Admin:http://blackpowdersmoke.com/oldcoots/index.php
Old January 28, 2009, 07:43 PM   #12
Peter M. Eick

Simple.

Get the Walker.

But then again, living in Texas what else would is say?
Old January 28, 2009, 07:50 PM   #13
Hoss Fly

PHP Code:
I am looking to the BP enthusiast for help with my next purchaseI have enough for only onebut I want twoSo which BP revolver is a better deal for the same moniessame conditionThe Walker or the DragoonWhat are the pros and consI am not concerned about the collect ability or the makers only the revolver itselfThe load and the discharging of the firearmSo if you have both styleswhich do you prefer? And if you own either onewhat do like about it or don't like?

I am hoping that through you, I can save some money and enjoy the world of the big loads. Thanks. 
If i may ask- Why are these the only two models of C&B revolvers you are concidering
Old January 28, 2009, 08:29 PM   #14
Blankwaffe

I'd have to agree with Smokin gun's comments above.The Whitneyville Dragoon does have the best feel to it of all the Dragoons Ive handled.I much prefer the Walkers grip frame and thats the difference as mentioned.Looks better too IMHO.
That being said the Walker is nice as well.It has a little bit more weight to it but overall the feel of the Walker is similar to the Whitneyville Dragoon.About half a pound difference or so and about a inch and a half longer.Not much difference really.
About the only place Ive found that has a Whitneyville Dragoon in stock is Cimarron.Midwayusa will have some in march.Otherwise no luck in finding one.
Just about everybody Ive looked at has a Walker.In fact a local gunshop had a Uberti Walker in stock and I could not resist buying it today.
Dixie gunworks has all the Dragoons in stock except for the Whitneyville.
So availability comes in to play if your in a hurry.Otherwise I'd say you will be happy with any of the models if your looking for a horse pistol.
Old April 18, 2009, 08:40 PM   #15
will52100

I'll second the Whitneyville dragoon, I've got a pair of them and a pair of walkers, the dragoons get more trigger time. As for the loading leaver falling down, I've had that trouble with both guns, easy enough to fix with a needle file and some patience, though with the walkers I now have to use a screw driver or something to push the spring back to let the leaver fall down. They were my main match guns for a while and I didn't want them falling down at the wrong time.

The Whitneyvilles are cool in that the originals were made from leftover walker parts to correct some of the problems of the walkers, namely shorting the cylinder and barrel and an improved loading lever latch.
Old April 18, 2009, 09:07 PM   #16
AdmiralB

I have a Walker and a 3rd Dragoon (civilian version).

If I had to part with one, I'd keep the Dragoon. Aside from the conversation-piece aspect, I think it's a better gun.
Old April 18, 2009, 09:21 PM   #17
Dingoboyx

Like CraigC said

You are going to end up with both, why fight it You have 2 hands, one should be stronger (Walker side) than the other (Dragoon side)

Just look for either, whicjever comes up first at the right price, jump on it..... then look for the other at a good price too.....

And get any thoughts of just getting 2 out of your head as well.... you will need a couple of ROA's & 1858 Remingtons as well at least
Old April 19, 2009, 03:59 AM   #18
olmontanaboy

I like the Walker and the Dragoon, but iffin I had to choose only one, I like the Walker best. Ask Josey Wales,
Old April 19, 2009, 07:35 AM   #19
CaptainCrossman

Walker has the biggest powder payload- the flip side is, it's heavy.\

Dragoon holds about 10 grains less powder, and a little lighter, easier to handle.

Personally I'd want one of each. If I had to choose just one, get the Walker. They seem to hold their value the best of all the BP Colt pattern guns.
Old April 19, 2009, 09:09 AM   #20
madcratebuilder

There is a difference in the grip frames, the Walker is slimmer. A very different feel. For me it's a toss up between a Walker and a 3rd model fluted Dragoon.
Old April 20, 2009, 10:20 PM   #21
Wobble

I can't compare the two since I only have the Uberti Walker that I purchased a few days ago but my reasons for choosing it over the Dragoon were partly about shooting and partly about the history.

It's a BIG gun - like a hand cannon - and can push a ball at about 1300 fps with a 60 gr load -- the most powerful repeating handgun until the magnums in the 1930's and 1950's. I don't plan to shoot it that way all the time, but I want to experience it at least a few times. So, in that sense, it's not a nice, comfortable or practical shooter but it should be a lot of fun.

Second, the Walker has a unique history with the United States Mounted Rangers and is the gun that put Colt on the road to success. It feels good to hold a copy of the gun and experience what it would have felt like back then to shoot it.
Old April 21, 2009, 11:15 AM   #22
Noz

Walker/Dragoon

It depends on the amount of style points you wish to accumulate.

Both are heavy weapons that were designed as horse pistols ie the holsters were made to fit over a saddle horn so that the horse carried them not you. If the weight doesn't bother you, go with the biggest and baddest, the Walker.
One of our local CAS shooters carries a strong side Walker and a weak side Dragoon. Shoots them double duelist. When Chaos Jumbles steps to the line with his hammer double 12, his 1860 Henry and his two horse pistols, the earth begins to tremble and knock down targets begin to quiver and fall. When he starts shooting spectators flee. Wonderful!!
Old April 27, 2009, 11:05 PM   #23
Jbar4Ranch

Walker, the biggest and baddest.

SASS 47015
Old May 8, 2009, 11:50 AM   #24
CaptainCrossman

Wobble

It's a BIG gun - like a hand cannon - and can push a ball at about 1300 fps with a 60 gr load -- the most powerful repeating handgun until the magnums in the 1930's and 1950's. I don't plan to shoot it that way all the time, but I want to experience it at least a few times. So, in that sense, it's not a nice, comfortable or practical shooter but it should be a lot of fun.

Second, the Walker has a unique history with the United States Mounted Rangers and is the gun that put Colt on the road to success. It feels good to hold a copy of the gun and experience what it would have felt like back then to shoot it.

My thoughts exactly- the Walker is more of a historical thing, and if you're going to do a lot of shooting with 30-40 grains of powder, why haul all that extra steel around. An 1858 Remington will do that, in a lighter package. The whole reason for buying a Walker is, the large visual size, historical significance, and being able to pack in 60 grains. Cripes I only put 90 grains in my Hawken 50 cal. hunting flintlock gun- that Walker is a pistol loaded like a rifle.

After getting my first Walker this week (older CVA made by ASM), it's certainly a tad heavy. Not drastically so, but it takes more effort to lift/aim it. I can see why they put it on a diet back in 1848-49 and came out with the Dragoon. Perhaps the Dragoon is the ultimate Colt C/B open top, with the best balance/strength qualities. The medium frame Open Top C/B's are well suited for cartridge conversions- but I'd keep a Dragoon or Walker as a C/B gun- they just look like they should stay that way- and have the strength to stay together. The Walker/Dragoons are certainly stronger/better built than the 1851-60-61 pattern replicas- with a larger arbor, wedge, frame, barrel lug on the Walker/Dragoon design.

Here's mine after a good scrubbing/oiling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03854.jpg (249.6 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03856.jpg (243.9 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03857.jpg (244.4 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by CaptainCrossman; May 8, 2009 at 12:01 PM.