The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 22, 2013, 02:50 PM   #1
geetarman

Handgun ballistics

I have a question for the forum regarding handgun ballistics.

If a handgun shoots low at 12 yards will the bullet print even lower at 25 yards?

I know a rifle has two points where the bullet crosses the line of sight. That is how one can roughly sight in a rifle at 25 yards and tweak it at 100 yards.

My question is whether the same holds true for a handgun albeit at a shorter range.

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 22, 2013, 03:14 PM   #2
Ruger480

From my limited understanding of ballistcs, what you are referring to is called max point blank range or: MPBR.

MPBR will vary depending on size, speed and the weight of the bullet being fired. Check this out. It should help.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/handgun_trajectory_table.htm
Old March 22, 2013, 03:39 PM   #3
geetarman

That should help. Thank you!

Carpe Cerveza
Old March 22, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
jmr40

It depends on many factors. Just as in a rifle the sights are above the bore. The bore is very slightly angled upward when the front and rear sights are aligned.

The bullet will always start out below the sights and at some range the point of impact will be exactly where the point of aim is. The bullet will continue up until it reaches its apex and will drop down and will cross the line of sight a 2nd time.

Most handguns are zeroed where the bullet crosses the line of sight the first time, while on the way up. Most rifles are zeroed where it crosses the 2nd time, when on the way down.

I'd say that with MOST handguns, if the bullet is low at 12 yards, it will be even lower at 25, but it is almost impossible to say. If the bullet has not reached it's apex before 12 yards, then it will still be on its way up at that range and could be zeroed at 25 or even hitting a little high.

The barrel length, the height of the sights above the bore and the individual load are all determining factors. The only way to know for sure it to shoot at those ranges.

A snub nose 38 with fixed sights very close to the bore will be much different than a 44 magnum with adjustable sights mounted higher above a 6-8" barrel. Heavy bullets impact higher than lighter bullets because greater recoil causes the muzzle to rise more during recoil before the bullet leaves the barrel.
Old March 22, 2013, 09:36 PM   #5
kc_hhsl

Quote:
I have a question for the forum regarding handgun ballistics.

If a handgun shoots low at 12 yards will the bullet print even lower at 25 yards?

I know a rifle has two points where the bullet crosses the line of sight. That is how one can roughly sight in a rifle at 25 yards and tweak it at 100 yards.

My question is whether the same holds true for a handgun albeit at a shorter range.
Probably depends on how far you have signted the gun in.

Just using basic physics - the second that bullet leaves he barrel gravity is pulling it down. No way to get around this. Thus - if you are going to hit a target 10 yards away - the front of your gun is going to have to be angled upwards to some degree. As soons as the bullet leaves the barrel the bullet will have to be going upwards to some degree and it will have to come back down across the line.

NRA Life Member