The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 6, 2010, 10:15 PM   #1
carprivershooter

project 1911

I have a Taurus 1911 that has been back to the shop for a broken sear. Now the left safety lever has come off, and the plunger pin and sping are MIA. when the lever came off they launched themselfs across the room into some place so small and dark they will never be found. so I could send the gun back to the factory and hope they fix it right and that it is returned before the next blue moon. But then I think to my self, Self why not rebuild the bogger yourself new springs,trigger, custom saftey levers. new hammer, just use the frame, barrel. make it a shooter again. So I would like your opinions. for anti taurus folks be kind. I need a project and this is as good as any.

Springer 1911 GI & 1911 loaded. Ruger blackhawk 44mag, SW 696 357, Taurus 357, colt SAA 45cal XD 9 (2) XD 45. Henery Big Boy 44mag. Golden boy 22lr.
Old April 7, 2010, 06:58 AM   #2
dcody40

that's what I'd do !

You said the right thing, go find your parts, try Brownells, and have fun.
Just check for the correct function on each part you add to the gun. Don't just stick all the parts on and then function check, other than the hammer/sear setup, everything else is a single item, supposed to work with the other parts already in the mechanics. Go slow if your not experienced and like I said, have fun making a shooter out of that small problem child.

FYI, I have never even seen a Taurus 1911 handgun. Would it be pretty much a clone of any other 1911 ?

I've seen the Taurus 92 clones and their many revolvers.

Regards

Duane USN/ret.

Last edited by dcody40; April 7, 2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling !
Old April 7, 2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Jim Watson

No reason not to if you have or plan to get the tools and skills.

Unless you are lefthanded, I would recommend a standard single sided thumb safety, they are much stronger.
Old April 7, 2010, 04:07 PM   #4
cerberus65

If you're really only going to keep the frame and barrel (and the slide, I hope! :-), you're going to want a shop manual like what Jerry Kuhnhausen wrote. I have his 1911 book and a couple of others and highly recommend them.

dcody40, yes, Taurus' 1911 is pretty much a clone. One of my brothers has one and I've had it completely torn apart. For the most part his has been pretty reliable.

+1 on Jim's comment on the safety. Unless you're a lefty you'll save yourself a bunch of trouble if you ditch the ambi safety and use a standard, right-hand only one. Getting the left-hand side off is a real pain on my brother's gun.
Old April 7, 2010, 10:31 PM   #5
carprivershooter

project gun

I won't have a problem getting the thumb saftey out of the gun. It fell out the other night. thank everyone for your encouragement. I'll get the book and read it and take a good look at what i want to change. the slide and frame are fine, they are a good fit and finish. it's the internals that appear to be the problem. i will have to get a few tools to complete the project. I guess that give a chance to buy tool also. the wife will think I am sick buying tools and not guns.
Old April 8, 2010, 06:33 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

If the thumb safety fell out of the gun, there is some problem with either the safety or the frame, as they are interlocked specifically to keep the safety in place except at the single place where it can be removed.

Sounds like another maker who didn't know how the gun is supposed to be made, but went ahead and made it anyway.

Jim