Leupold VX-3 $499 35 43.21%
Ziess Conquest $499 26 32.10%
Nikon Monarch $419 16 19.75%
Burris Signature $479 4 4.94%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 4, 2009, 01:38 PM   #1
klcmschlesinger

Best Scope near $500

I posted a previous poll about scopes around $300. I went to Cabela's and did some research on scopes more around the $500 range. You can tell a difference when you look through them. So again, let's see what TFL thinks of these scopes.

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old September 4, 2009, 01:43 PM   #2
mikejonestkd

A leupold VX-3 3-10 x 40 with a duplex is an excellent choice in this range. Averages right around $500 or less at most online stores.
Old September 4, 2009, 02:41 PM   #3
sholling

All good choices but I'd list them as neck and neck but with slight edges in this order Zeiss Conquest, Bushnell 4200 (2-10x), Burris Signature Select, and Monarch. I'm not a Leupy fan. These are so close that it's going to come down to what works best to your eye. Everybody's eyes are different.
Old September 4, 2009, 03:04 PM   #4
flyguyskt

if you look through all of them in low light the winner becomes obvious...zeiss. hands down no comparison
Old September 4, 2009, 04:26 PM   #5
Legionnaire

Good on ya for taking the time to go and look at some higher priced scopes. Leupold get my vote, simply because I've been using Leupolds for years and I appreciate their excellent warranty, even though I've only had to send one (bought second hand, no less) back for warranty service. Zeiss would be my second choice of the ones listed.

Bushnell has had varying quality over the years, and my early experience with them was not good, so I'm a bit gun shy (pun intended) about them. I did buy a Banner Dusk & Dawn scope to put on a .22, and it has worked well thus far. I know others have had good success with them, but I'm not a fan.

Think I'd go with a 3.5-10x40 (or a 4.5-14x40).
Old September 4, 2009, 08:43 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

A couple of years ago I started out to buy a Leupold or a Zeiss for my new Ruger No. 1 and was trying to stay in the $500 or under range. After comparing the Leupold and Zeiss, I picked up a Nikon on a suggestion from the salesman and in my opinion, the Nikon Monarch won hands down.

I've been very happy with my Nikon and won't even consider any thing else at this point.
Old September 5, 2009, 03:38 PM   #7
klcmschlesinger

Anyone else have an opinion?

Bump

The Zen philosopher Basho once wrote, "a flute with no holes is not a flute, and a donut with no hole, is a danish."
Old September 5, 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
GONIF

Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 can be had under $400.00,lifetime warrentee and 4 inch eye releif . super bright and clear ,great in low light conditions.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:18 PM   #9
jmr40

I voted Leupold, but the Zeiss would be a close 2nd depending on which features are most important to you. The Zeiss is slightly better in low light and overall clarity in my experience. The Leupold is good enough to work until well past legal shooting time however. The Leupold is also lighter, smaller and has more eye relief. I have both scopes on rifles in my safe and the Leupold goes hunting more often.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:46 PM   #10
handlerer

I seem to recall that whwn you look through a Leupold scope you are looking through Nikon glass. So why pay more for Leupold, when it's really a Nikon in disguise.
Old September 5, 2009, 04:58 PM   #11
GONIF

with Leupold you get a good scope ,but you pay too much for what you get .

Last edited by GONIF; September 5, 2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old September 5, 2009, 06:26 PM   #12
Waterengineer

The Scope made by Carl....that would be Mr. Zeiss to you.

The low light brightness and long eye relief make it the winner.
Old September 5, 2009, 07:57 PM   #13
Major Dave (retired)

"Have you driven a Ford - lately",

Or looked through the NEW (this year) Leupold VX - 3?

Not "Vari - X III", or " VX - III", but "VX - 3" - new for 2009.

New features are:

Xtended Twilight Lens system using wavelength specific lens coatings designed to optimize the transmission of low-light wavelengths. For enhanced viewing earlier and later in the day. Also good for "dark timber", etc.

Blackened lens edges to reduce light diffusion, cutting glare while improving resolution and contrast.

DiamondCoat 2, which increases light transmission for greater brightness, clarity, and contrast, while providing scratch resistance to exterior lens surfaces.

End result - try it, you'll like it.

Don't bad-mouth Leupy until you have looked thru this one!

P.S. Price of 2.5 - 8 X 36 is $430. Higher magnifications are higher prices.

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); September 5, 2009 at 08:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old September 9, 2009, 02:16 AM   #14
Dr Raoul Duke

Best Scope near $500

I have been choosing Nikon scopes for quite some time now, and I think they are excellent, both in quality and clarity, but in value. I was an almost life long Leupold addict, but Nikon and their Monarch line of scopes have won me over.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever
Old September 9, 2009, 02:50 AM   #15
.300 Weatherby Mag

Leupold and Zeiss both produce excellent optics.... The edge hear goes to leupold... The difference is in warranty service turn around... Everything that's had to go back to Leupold has always come back quickly... Zeiss doesn't do anything quickly.... I don't know if they send stuff back to Germany or what but 4-5 months is a little excessive.... The only and I mean only knock I have on the Zeiss conquest is that they haven't held up as well as the VX-III series leupolds have on our big weatherbys....
Old September 9, 2009, 03:51 AM   #16
Dannyl

Call me biased if you wish, but I have been using a Leupold VXII 4x12x40 since I bought my 30-06 rifle in 96' and when I finally replace it, I will be mounting a newer generation Leupold.

Great results on the bench, metallic Silouhette up to 500M and hunting (up to 350M so far)

Brgds,
Danny
Old September 9, 2009, 11:21 AM   #17
Scorch

I always recommend Leupold scopes. Good scope, great warranty, outstanding customer service. If you want a better scope, get a Swarovski (notice I said "want", not "need"), they really are superior.

And no, Leupold does not use Nikon lenses. They both buy glass from the same source and grind the lenses themselves.
Old September 9, 2009, 02:54 PM   #18
trooper3385

I have at least one of each one of these scopes. In my opinion, as far as clarity and light gathering ability, the Zeiss is the better out of this group. However, Leupold has an excellent warranty and they stand by there products. I believe the Zeiss is better glass, but not by much over the Leupold. I can't remember what the warranty is on the Zeiss or how good there warranty service is on there products, but it can't be better than the Leupold. In my opinion, the Zeiss is a hair better than the Leupold, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Leupold. In fact, this last 2 scopes I purchased were VX-III's. The other two are also excellent scopes as well. You shouldn't go wrong with any of these.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:42 PM   #19
fireroad

After being a long time Leupold fan and eagerly awaiting the new VX-3 I have to say I'll pass. The Zeiss Conquest is far more impressive, as is the Bushnell 4200/6500 and Sightron SII Big Sky. The Zeiss warranty is excellent, not as fast as Leupold, but pretty darn good.

If your are set on Leupold save your money and get the older (discontinued last year) VX-III. PM me and I'll make you a deal on a barely used 3-10x40.
Old September 9, 2009, 11:52 PM   #20
Fremmer

CDNN has Leupold VX III's on sale; I think they were around $300.00. They aren't the newest version, but they are great scopes. That's what I'd do.
Old September 10, 2009, 01:08 AM   #21
.300 Weatherby Mag

Nothing at all wrong with the VX-3... It's an evolution of the VX-III... Great scope and I have no issues with the VX-3 that's on my 22-250.... It seems to be as good or better than the VX-III and Vari X-III scopes I have on my other rifles...
Old September 10, 2009, 11:22 AM   #22
thinkingman

Quote:
After being a long time Leupold fan and eagerly awaiting the new VX-3 I have to say I'll pass. The Zeiss Conquest is far more impressive, as is the Bushnell 4200/6500 and Sightron SII Big Sky. The Zeiss warranty is excellent, not as fast as Leupold, but pretty darn good.

If your are set on Leupold save your money and get the older (discontinued last year) VX-III. PM me and I'll make you a deal on a barely used 3-10x40.
Good post.

Wildwillbebytosetyoustraightsoon.
Old September 10, 2009, 06:50 PM   #23
LanceOregon

Man, if you buy your scopes at Cabelas you will definitely get ripped off.

Don't you shop around and look for good deals?

I stumbled on a secret that Bud's Gun Shop.com heavily discounts Nikon Monarch scopes. So much so that they really become an incredible bargain when purchased from Bud's.

You think that the price is $419?

Dude, how about thinking that it is almost $90 less than that!!!!

---
Old September 10, 2009, 08:16 PM   #24
RichM

I have a VX-II and it is the "old" Vari-X-III. You can almost see in the dark with it.

I'm real happy and only paid $300 - got free rings and free shipping.

I bought last year after looking at the Zeiss, Bushnell, and Burris scopes. The one I liked best was the Burris Signature Select - I thought i was better than all the others but it was heavy. The Zeiss and Bushnell 4200 were nice but I chose to give Leupold my money. American made (most of it) and great service aside from the fact that my other Leupolds have NEVER been in for service.

I did buy a Bushnell for my muzzleloader and could not get it to group so I put the Leuopld on my ML and sighted it in. The Bushnell I bought confirmed that they aren't there yet.

Last edited by RichM; September 10, 2009 at 08:22 PM.
Old September 10, 2009, 09:27 PM   #25
klcmschlesinger

Oregon

Did I say that is where I buy them? That is where I was doing research. They have a nice selection to look at. I don't have to travel to 10 different stores to line them up and compare them.
I have found much better prices in a bunch of places. CDNN has VXIII for $399, Able ammo has he Zeiss for $419, Leupold VXIII all over Gunbroker for about $350 + Shipping.
Don't worry about where I buy it, I'm looking for opinions on quality.