The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2009, 06:50 PM   #1
colostomyclown

prying out retainer in mossberg 590 , help!

i don't want to bend this thiing prying it out - it's in there pretty good. is it meant to be bent and the reshaped upon being put back in? i may even try leaving it out after i replace/oil the new spring. but i need some advice on the best way to do this because it's the first time i eve rhave.

thanks!
Old February 26, 2009, 06:51 PM   #2
rantingredneck

pry it out with a screwdriver..........you won't hurt it.

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old February 26, 2009, 07:26 PM   #3
colostomyclown

thanks. got it out. no wonder the thing has issues its a weak spring for one thing, for another the ends are smaller than the middle. why does mossberg ship them like this??
Old February 26, 2009, 07:29 PM   #4
rantingredneck

Sounds like they got some crap springs from a subcontractor.

If it's any consolation, my old 835 and 500 are still running on their original springs after thousands of rounds downrange.

Old February 26, 2009, 09:11 PM   #5
inSight-NEO

As far as the spring retainer goes, I personally decided to drill 2 holes into this thing, using a 5/64 drill bit, so that I could "grab" the retainer with needle nose pliers. Just be sure to drill these holes somewhat near the "open" end of the spring retainer. Also, I found that drilling these holes from the inside out works best (in addition to running the bit back and forth a few times in order to "smooth" the holes just a bit).

This idea came to me due to the fact that my other shotty, a Benelli SNT, arrived from the factory with these drilled holes. In my opinion, these holes make it much, much easier to remove the spring retainer. Having to pry it out with a screwdriver is ridiculous and will eventually, in my opinion, warp this item. To use a metaphor; prying on this retainer is akin to having "a bull in a china shop."

When removing the retainer (after drilling these holes), insert a screwdriver through the hole in the center of the retainer and/or cup your hand over the end of the mag tube (in order to "catch" the retainer/spring when removed) and insert the tips of the needle nose pliers into the drilled holes. Then, gently squeeze the retainer with the pliers and twist/pull (again...gently) the retainer out of the mag tube. That should take care of it and best of all, no unnecessary prying needed.

As has been stated before, standard Mossberg springs are, generally speaking, crap. Do yourself a favor and buy a set of the "generic" shotgun springs by Wolff (XD 40").

Also, based on my observations, it seems that the stock mag tube spring for the 590 is just too short vs others I have seen. This may be contributing, along with the tapered design, to the reliability issues concerning these stock springs.

Last edited by inSight-NEO; February 26, 2009 at 11:48 PM.
Old March 14, 2009, 06:12 PM   #6
Garage Dog

Mag spring removal

I shot my new 590 today for the first time. 50 rounds, no issues, but I shot at a shotgun club where they only shoot trap and skeet so I could only load 1 round at a time. I do have a mild case of "shotgun shoulder". I took the gun apart before I went and cleaned it real good, however I did not take the spring out of the mag tube to clean it because I was not sure how it comes apart. Are you guys talking about removing the "c" shaped clip at the muzzle end of the mag tube? Could it also be done by unscrewing the mag tube from the receiver?
Old March 14, 2009, 06:42 PM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The reason for smaller ends is usually so under full compression you have more surface area distributing the compression pressure. The other reason is length restraints. when fully compressed a spring with reduced diameter ends has several coils in the same length distance as one coil. Kind of like the collapsible drinking cup.

Brent
Old March 14, 2009, 10:56 PM   #8
rantingredneck

Quote:
Are you guys talking about removing the "c" shaped clip at the muzzle end of the mag tube? Could it also be done by unscrewing the mag tube from the receiver?
Yes, and Yes. It can be done by unscrewing the mag tube, but they are typically locktited in place and it's considerably more effort to do it that way.

With the model 500 you have no choice as that's the only way to get to the spring. With the 590 and 835 it's a lot easier. Just pry the retainer out. Same as the 870 Wingmaster.

Old March 15, 2009, 11:39 AM   #9
Garage Dog

Thanks, got it.

I thought about NEO's idea of drilling holes for the pliers but it came out so easy I didn't bother. It went back in easy enough, but next time I remove it I might drill holes anyway just to make it that much more workable.