The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 28, 2010, 09:19 PM   #1
7jinxed7

Broken AR-15 extractor

The edge of the extractor broke off recently. The bolt is labeled MPC nothing on the carrier that i could find. The extractor spring has a blue bushing in it and the o ring thats I believe is suppose to be around it is missing. i can easily open it up just by light thumb pressure. It seems too soft to me. Is it normal for the extractor to break? Is there anything I can do to upgrade it so it will hold up better?

Old July 29, 2010, 02:46 PM   #2
DnPRK

That extractor probably wasn't normalized after heat treatment, which left it brittle. Time to buy a couple spares.

The o-ring is a user added feature for carbines. You can get them at you local hardware store.
Old July 29, 2010, 03:01 PM   #3
demigod

Likely just a fluke. Buy a new one from BravoCompanyUSA.com. Bravo has an extractor kit with a good spring and insert.... comes with the o-ring, but they don't recommend using it.

I won't run a gun that needs an o-ring to extract empties.

(if you're extractor has any markings on it, you could send it back to Colt for replacement... some colt's have an "C" or something on them.... Otherwise they probably can't tell that it's their component for sure)
Old July 29, 2010, 05:53 PM   #4
7jinxed7

So the o ring isn't factory? If it's not factory and not needed i don't want it. I'm just going to put a new extractor,spring and the bushing. Cheap fix.
Old July 30, 2010, 12:34 AM   #5
Ifishsum

The O-ring is generally a band-aid type of fix for a weak extractor IMHO. Was it on a new gun you purchased?
Old July 30, 2010, 07:25 AM   #6
dahermit

Quote:
...That extractor probably wasn't normalized after heat treatment, which left it brittle. Time to buy a couple spares...
...wasn't drawn after... ?
Old July 30, 2010, 08:52 AM   #7
demigod

Quote:
So the o ring isn't factory?
Nope! Bravo doesn't install them on their bolts, but they include them because people want the damned things.

A good spring and black insert work great on all the Short Barreled rifles I have.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:01 AM   #8
7jinxed7

[QUOTE]Was it on a new gun you purchased?/QUOTE]
No I inherited it several years back.

I have parts on the way. I ordered the Stoner HD extractor with spring and insert.I went ahead and ordered a Wolff spring to see how it does. I don't think i'll need though. I compared my SAR-3 5.56 extractor to this broken one and there is a bid difference in spring tension. I not it's not a equal comparison but there are the same caliber. By some miracle this thing will still extract manually just not when shooting it.

Last edited by 7jinxed7; July 30, 2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old July 30, 2010, 10:54 AM   #9
riverwalker76

You don't have to have the o-ring around the spring. That is usually an upgrade after-market part on most bolt carrier groups. You do need the spring and insert, however.

They are a piece of cake to install, and they go in .... just like it came out.

I've seen extractors break in civilian ARs due to excessive abuse and firing. The extractor gets hot like any other part, and with excessive heat ... it weakens. Some people try and fire their ARs like M-16s and they build up more heat than you could imagine.

If you need any help let me know.
Old July 30, 2010, 11:05 AM   #10
7jinxed7

Yeah I didn't get the o-ring. I noticed buffer technologies makes the o-rings too. Everything I've seen BT make is usually a gimmick. If it has problems extracting why not just fix the damn thing right instead of putting a o-ring on it?I would have just put a whole bolt on it but I didn't see anything wrong with the rest of it. Once my money will allow i would like to get a parts kit with all the springs,firing pin and all the critical parts. Maybe get a butt stock with some storage and keep the parts in the butt stock. Then if i do have another failure every things there and I can repair it on the spot and not have to wait a week. Here is the one I ordered.I didn't know if the was a difference in colors of the inserts or not.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tNumber=745270

Last edited by 7jinxed7; July 30, 2010 at 11:14 AM.
Old July 30, 2010, 11:08 AM   #11
demigod

Quote:
The extractor gets hot like any other part, and with excessive heat ... it weakens. Some people try and fire their ARs like M-16s and they build up more heat than you could imagine.
The extractor should NOT be getting hot at all. Mike Pannene (sp?) wrote an article on the myths of DI gas sytem M4. One of the myths he sighted was that the bolt got hot during high round count firing.

He did a 2400 round test in six shooting sessions with an M4, and noted that even in the HOTTEST strings of fire, he could pull the bolt out and hold it in his bare fingers.