The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 12, 2009, 10:12 AM   #1
Al57

Opinions Sought on .357 Mag Nickle Case Bulges

An aquaintance recently gave me a quantity of what he assured me was once fired from factory loadings, never reloaded, .357 cases, both brass & nickle . From the looks of them, I do think they are once fired ( even have the red sealant around primers ). The Rem. brass looked great overall, & no noticeable bulges ahead of the web . Both the Federal nickle & Rem. nickle cases all had small, but noticeable bulges just forward of the case web / head , the Federals being slightly more noticeable. Using the bent paper clip method inside several of these feeling for any indent, start of a crack, etc, there was none on any. All smooth inside . Though I have reloaded for the .357 for 35 years, I have almost no experience with nickle cases . I do not know what these were fired from. Is this something that is common with factory loaded & fired nickle cases in .357 ? Would you consider them weaker/ more likely to have a head seperation down the road vs. a brass case ? I load two differnt levels ( 6.7 grs. of Unique under 158 gr JHP's, in mag cases, mild load, feels like a .38 +P , for my wife in her Security Six ) . I also load 7.5 grs. of Unique with the same 158 gr. JHP in my GP100 . Standard primers. My load is not a max. load, nor a heavy kicker, but it let's you know you aren't shooting a .38. Never an over pressure sign, easy extract., etc. If I could safely use these for my loads too, all the better. Your experienced thoughts on how I describe these nickle cases here are welcome & appreciated.
Old February 12, 2009, 10:15 AM   #2
ZeSpectre

any photos?
Old February 12, 2009, 11:05 AM   #3
Al57

Ze, as poor as your photographer would be, I'm not sure they would show up. I have enough trouble on keeping close up firearm pics fuzz free. I do appreciate the inquiry. Al
Old February 12, 2009, 11:23 AM   #4
mkl

Funny you should ask.

I processed 100 nickle 357 Magnum cases last Tuesday and noticed that same "bulge" at the base of the case.

Turned out is was an optical illusion, I suppose due to the shiny nickel.

I measured the cases with a blade micrometer and found no bulge even though it sure looked like it with my eyeball.

Check out your cases with a caliper or mike and see if you can measure a bulge.

Not to say you don't have a bulge, just saying don't trust you eyeball on nickel cases.
Old February 12, 2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Al57

MKL, my caliper is on loan at the moment, but even with my aging "close up " vision, I'm quite sure they are bulged . Enough so that you can feel it running a fingernail over them, besides seeing it. Now there is a possibility that what you say about the " shiny " factor may highlight or exagerate it. Though my Glock 22 really hasn't bulged .40 S&W brass much at all, I've seen pictures from other G22 owners and their brass that is obviously, moderately bulged, ( Not the ones that look 9 months pregnant and about to blow ), and would compare these nickle .357 cases to those moderately bulged .40 cases. I thank you for your suggestion though.
Old February 13, 2009, 03:17 PM   #6
TEDDY

bulge

what it may be is simply the case is slightly small at that point and the chamber may be a little over size.size them and see what happens.the glocks were great for that.so much so that they needed special machine to roll it back.[40 cal]