The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 30, 2009, 08:48 PM   #1
IrvJr

Which reduced recoil 308 Win load to consider?

I have been reloading in earnest for a couple of years now. I have been reloading straight walled handgun cartridges (.44 mag/.44 sp, 45 Colt, 38/357, etc.) for my revolvers and carbine (Winchester lever action) with good results.

I would like to start reloading rifle cartridges, starting with the 308 Win caliber. In addition to developing a normal pressure load for my rifle, I would also like to develop a reduced recoil load for a shorter barrel gun (16 or 18" barreled bolt action).

I've done some research and found some published reduced recoil loads in the Speer reloading manual (which I own) and on the Hogdon website (which I downloaded). I've also read that the Lyman manual has some reduced recoil loads which use handgun powders for cast bullets (but reportedly can be used with jacketed bullets as well).

I currently use the Speer reloading manual, but I also have a copy of the Hogdon manual (plus their online load data website), and was thinking about purchasing the Lyman reloading manual.

Which reduced recoil load should I try out first? Initially I was thinking I should start at with the Hogdon loads, because I could purchase H4895 powder and use it with my normal pressure loads and with my reduced pressure loads.

However, I was wondering if other folks have had better (more accurate and consistent) results using other reduced pressure loads.

What do you recommend/like for a published reduced recoil load in 308 Win?

Thanks!
Old October 1, 2009, 01:02 AM   #2
joneb

I use Blue Dot with Nosler 125 BT for sub moa groups at 100yds.
What bullet and velocity are you after.
Old October 1, 2009, 05:38 AM   #3
IrvJr

jibjab - thanks for the reply.

i'm not sure if i should try a lighter weight bullet or a heavier weight. ideally i'd like to develop a lower pressure load to attenuate the muzzle blast from a short barrel rifle yet still have enough energy and accuracy for medium game (deer) hunting within 200 yards.

what kind of velocity do i need with a 125/130 gr bullet to be effective against medium game?
Old October 1, 2009, 09:54 AM   #4
joneb

I'm away from home for awhile and don't have access to my reloading data. There is published data for light .308 Win. loads using IMR/SR 4759 and AA 5744, these would be two more suitable options consider.
I would look for a load that would provide 2300-2600 FPS
H 4895 maybe a good choice for you ?

Last edited by joneb; October 2, 2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old October 1, 2009, 12:00 PM   #5
critter44

I use 125-130 gr bullets and IMR 4895 in the .308 for reduced recoil loads for my grandkids. They shoot really well.
Old October 1, 2009, 12:13 PM   #6
Unclenick
Staff

Heavier bullets and slower powder spell more recoil. Lighter bullets and faster powder spell less recoil. They also spell less energy and momentum at the impact point on the target, and if you make them too light, you get into the ethics of how humanely you are dispatching the game. Also, to fire from a short barrel at reduced pressure you don't want to be using medium to slow powders like 4895. You'll just get very incomplete burning and uneven performance and a lot of extra muzzle blast and fire.

In the computer, I tried a Sierra #2120 125 grain spire point and got an estimated charge of 32 grains of H4227, with that bullet seated to 2.590" COL it fills the case about 70% (which is fine if you use a magnum primer) to produce about 2400 fps MV from an 18" barrel. At 200 yards that bullet drops to about 1800 fps and 900 ft-lbs. Set the sights to hit 2" high at 100 yards and impact will be about 2" low at 200, which will let you hold on the deer's usual 8-10" heart-lung target area without adjusting the sights to compensate within that range.

In a 7.5 lb gun and scope combination, that H4227 load will give you about 8 ft-lbs of recoil impulse, as compared to 16 ft-lbs from a full power 150 grain bullet load of H4895. Since what you feel is roughly proportional to the kinetic energy of the recoil impulse, the H4227 load will have about half the felt recoil of the full load. If you substitute H4895 for the 4227 to achieve the same velocity as the H4227 load, you have to use about 43 grains and wind up with about 10.3 ft-lbs of recoil impulse from the extra powder mass and rocket effect at the muzzle. Not to mention the extra cost of throwing away a lot of unburned powder.

I would still check with Sierra about 1800 fps being adequate impact velocity with that bullet. If you have shoulder problems or are on blood thinners or have other reasons to avoid recoil, try one of the PAST magnum recoil pads to further spread it out and reduce felt recoil.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle