The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 15, 2009, 04:15 AM   #1
ramp_tech

Getting a C&R?

I know I can find most of the info on the BATF website, and I am just wondering would anyone care to share some insight? and wait time?
Old April 17, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
nsaqam

C&R

Getting a C&R is super easy and cheap.
You merely have to fill out the forms and get them signed by your local Law Enforcement agency ( I used my towns PD).
Send all the stuff off to the BATFE along with a CC# or a check for $30 and wait about 6 weeks and you'll get your license in the mail along with a bunch of publications explaining all the rules.
You must maintain a log book (bound book or computer program) of all the weapons acquired with your C&R and their ultimate fate ( sold or transferred) to be legal.
One of the things that I really like about having a C&R is that it allows you to buy stuff from Brownells at wholesale. Midway also offers dicounts for C&R holders.
Nearly any firearm over 50 years old can be shipped directly to your house as well as many other more modern vintage weapons.
Go for it, $30 for 3 years is CHEAP!
Old April 18, 2009, 12:00 AM   #3
Brenden

C&r

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
getting A C&r Is Super Easy And Cheap.
You Merely Have To Fill Out The Forms And get Them Signed By Your Local Law Enforcement Agency ( I Used My Towns Pd).
Send All The Stuff Off To The Batfe Along With A Cc# Or A Check For $30 And Wait About 6 Weeks And You'll Get Your License In The Mail Along With A Bunch Of Publications Explaining All The Rules.
You Must Maintain A Log Book (bound Book Or Computer Program) Of All The Weapons Acquired With Your C&r And Their Ultimate Fate ( Sold Or Transferred) To Be Legal.
One Of The Things That I Really Like About Having A C&r Is That It Allows You To Buy Stuff From Brownells At Wholesale. Midway Also Offers Dicounts For C&r Holders.
Nearly Any Firearm Over 50 Years Old Can Be Shipped Directly To Your House As Well As Many Other More Modern Vintage Weapons.
Go For It, $30 For 3 Years Is Cheap!
Everything except this..
You merely have to send a copy to your local LEO head,letting them know that you are applying..
JPFO
Old April 18, 2009, 06:50 PM   #4
ov3rkill

would anybody have an extra copy of an application, i was filling out one and i mistakingly filled out section a under #10 that i shouldnt have. I would be much grateful.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:45 AM   #5
joustin

I got mine about 8 weeks after applying. I ordered 2 forms in case I screwed up, I did so I used one page from the practice form. I got my C&R about a week ago.
Old April 19, 2009, 12:46 AM   #6
Don H

White-out worked for me.
Old April 19, 2009, 02:29 AM   #7
stickhauler

Getting A C & R..

That had to be the easiest thing I have ever done with a government agency, especially a Federal agency. Mine took right around a month total, even with my screw-up of forgetting to include my local CLEO info on the form. There is a bad side to getting the license though, that $30.00 license is going to be harmful to your wallet for quite some time, as you are going to find countless firearms you just "have to buy." Getting one was kind of a necessary step for me, my hobby has become collecting vintage military surplus rifles. Some quite beautiful, some plain Jane's, but all with a sense of history in their cold steel and wooden stocks.

But welcome to the wonderful world of curio and relic firearms, if you need a few links to friendly information sources, or forums where other collectors frequent, let me know, I've found a lot of kindred spirits on-line that are very happy to share their knowledge with those just starting out.
Old April 19, 2009, 05:30 AM   #8
JAYBIRD78

Usually on a government form if you make a mistake it is customary to do one of two things.

1. Start over on a new form.

2. Use your pen (black or blue) and cross out the "wrong" information with a SINGLE line centered over the word(s). DO NOT SCRIBBLE Write the correct info above the crossed out info.

Others have mentioned not leaving any blank spaces, use a N/A in those spaces. I did leave a few blank spaces and the ATF still aproved mine.

OH YEAH..............Don't use crayons to fill out your form.
Old April 19, 2009, 04:10 PM   #9
zxcvbob

Quote:
would anybody have an extra copy of an application, i was filling out one and i mistakingly filled out section a under #10 that i shouldnt have. I would be much grateful.
I have a freshly-scanned copy that I'm trying to upload, but I can't because the file is too big (2.5MB) Emaill me, and I'll send it to you. /Bob
Old April 21, 2009, 02:52 AM   #10
impalacustom

I sent mine in on March 30th and got mine on April 18th, I was expecting at least 6 weeks with all the work the ATF is doing with gun sales and such. They are easy to get and worth it.
Old May 3, 2009, 11:58 AM   #11
BobbyT

I keep hearing people thinking they have to request the forms and have hard copies. You can download the form, print it yourself, screw up a bunch of times, print more, and be fine.

No use in waiting all that time for the ATF to send you the forms when you just have to wait more for them to process it. This guy even edited the PDF with text boxes so you can type in your info and print it out ready to go:

http://www.calguns.net/CR/CRFFLForm7CR.pdf
Old May 5, 2009, 10:08 PM   #12
Sabot

I applied for my C&R back in October. The turnaround time from requesting the forms to receiving my licence was an incredible 3 weeks. I received my licence 3 days before the election and got caught up in the buying frenzy. I had money saved up to buy a car and spent it all on C&R rifles instead.