The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 19, 2013, 03:38 PM   #1
marine6082

New member needs some help...

Short intro: Retired Marine Corps MSgt, shoots an "as issued" M-1 and reloads for it and some friends' Arisaka 7mm and .308 bolt action. A friend has asked me to reload for his .380 Auto so I'm looking at the dies I need, etc. Haven't done any pistols, yet. Here's where I need some info: I see that both .380 and 9mm bullets are .355. And I'm looking around for them through Midway, Cabelas, Hornady, etc. Sometimes I find bullets labeled "380", but most of the time it's 9mm. Are they interchangeable? If I find either of them in the grain and shape that I want, is either going to work with his .380 Auto? Looking through my reloading books I see 380 Auto or 9mm Kurtz with weights from 88gr up to 124gr. Can I find out what's a "normal" weight and shape for SD in a 380 Auto? He does targets with it, but it's mostly kept ready in the home ready to go. This all stems from the lack of ammo available for that caliber and most others. And it seems that I can find what I need online for him. Just want to make sure when it comes to the bullet. There doesn't seem to be any difference, but I can't find any definite info. Thanks for any help. Steve
Old October 19, 2013, 03:45 PM   #2
jimbob86

All my manuals list .355" for jacketed .380Auto .... ....90gr hp seems to be the standard defensive loading ......
Old October 19, 2013, 04:04 PM   #3
Nick_C_S

Both the 380 (9x17) and 9mm (9x19) use the .355 (and .356 in lead) "family" of bullets (as does 9x18 Markarov, and 357 Sig).

The main difference is that the 380 is going to be a better "balanced" load if the lighter side of the bullet family is used.

The "natural" bullet weight for the 380 is 90g. Where as the 9mm is 115g or 124g. Theoretically, you can load 90g's in the 9mm, or 115's in the 380, but it's generally discouraged.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:05 PM   #4
marine6082

thanks for the info...

Thanks for the replies. So, looking at Hornady's ammo, this would be a good one to load with for his 380: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/620...nt-box-of-100? Or this one from Sierra: https://www.sierrabullets.com/store/...m--90-gr-JHP90 gr hollow point? Looks to me like either would work for SD. Thanks again for the help.
Old October 19, 2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Big yes on both of them. I might give the nod to the Hornady's. But either one would be a great choice. Sierra makes fine bullets too - I use them a lot.

Now let's talk powders:

If it were me loading, I'd look at a fast or medium powder. 380's tend to be compact. Unless your friend's gun has an unusually long barrel, I'd tend toward faster powders.

Two excellent choices are Winchester 231 (which is also sold under Hodgdon HP-38 - they're the same powder), or Accurate Arms No.2 usually known as "AA2." I've never used Ramshot Zip; but if that were available, I'd grab it.

If those aren't available, it would be acceptable to move into medium speed powders. That would give us Alliant Unique, or AA5 as good choices. Ramshot True Blue would fit in here too.

Those would be my suggestions.
Old October 19, 2013, 11:13 PM   #6
marine6082

A big thanks once again...

Thanks, Nick_C_S, for the valuable info. I'll stash it away in my notes and get shopping for the new dies and such. Glad I joined up. Obviously got the help I needed for the pistol reload.

Tags
reloading 380 auto