The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2012, 01:34 PM   #51
comn-cents

So that you don't have a loaded side saddle on your trunk gun try these.

http://www.esstac.com/Products/7%20R...gun%20Card.php
Old November 10, 2012, 02:09 PM   #52
TheKlawMan

Dg, The OP asked for info on the laws of specific jurisdictions. But do you really think being good to go in "most states and municipalities" is not gong to help him in the District of Columbia if he is out of compliance with its law?
Old November 10, 2012, 02:30 PM   #53
TheKlawMan

Quote:
It is my civilian understanding that, at least here in Florida, the critical difference between "carrying" and "transporting" is ACCESS. (Couldn't get the Bold to work, vs all-caps) If your gun (shotgun is irrelevant) is 3 steps or more away from access to firing-capable, it is "transporting," AFAIK. That means unloaded, in a container, and locked. A container probably includes a storage compartment in an SUV, for example, and a locked one of those probably meets the definition of the third step.
See this re the so called Three Step Rule and what is the actual law.

Quote:
One problem. It's nonsense. Yep, I said it. It doesn't exist. Its' kind of like the Skunk Ape, lots of people have heard about it, but no one has ever seen it. No such rule, no such steps, and it isn't "essentially" the law.
http://blogs.naplesnews.com/florida-...step-rule.html
Old November 10, 2012, 02:39 PM   #54
dgludwig

Quote:
Dg, The OP asked for info on the laws of specific jurisdictions. But do you really think being good to go in "most states and municipalities" is not gong to help him in the District of Columbia if he is out of compliance with its law?
All of which is why I was careful to use the qualifier "most". Obviously, there are countless exceptions to the "rule" and it is always incumbent for any traveler carrying any kind of a firearm to be aware of the law(s) of specific jurisdictions regarding same.
Old November 10, 2012, 08:59 PM   #55
340 Weatherby

I just can't see myself driving through the District of Columbia on purpose. There is just way too many Democrats there these days and I don't trust them.
Old November 10, 2012, 09:29 PM   #56
TheKlawMan

Quote:
I just can't see myself driving through the District of Columbia on purpose. There is just way too many Democrats there these days and I don't trust them.
But my bro lives . . . I see your point.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:36 AM   #57
Sport45

Best leave the politics out of it. I imagine you can find TFL members on both sides and independent as well.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:12 PM   #58
scottd913

i have tried to make sense out of all of this...being from Texas where, when it comes to a shotgun it can be carried is a car or p/u truck LOADED and not counseled or counseled and loaded or carried in vehicle unloaded in a box or a sock.
laying on the back seat or front seat in other words its legal to carry a shotgun in you personal vehicle.

seems the op WANTS TO CARRY A SHOTGUN NO MATTER WHAT HE IS TOLD ....I SAY TO HIM MOVE TO TEXAS or leave gun at home ...unless going to jail means as much to you as other peoples answers to your questions just load it up and go where ever you want!!

my lawyer tell's me to remind all of you that THIS IS NOT MEANT TO BE LEGAL ADVISE ....I am not a lawyer nor do i play one on tv

do not try this at home

in the case of DC area i agree with.......... WHY

Last edited by scottd913; November 13, 2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old November 13, 2012, 06:58 PM   #59
dgludwig

Quote:
I SAY TO HIM MOVE TO TEXAS
Yeah, that's going to happen. You got any more useful advice?
Old November 13, 2012, 07:27 PM   #60
scottd913

well it just seems to me that he wants to live under the same laws as we have down here...the other thing he could do is run for office and try to change the law but that will never happen. it's hard to run for office in multiple states right?
Old November 13, 2012, 08:18 PM   #61
Captains1911

Texas is very very low on my list of places I wish to live. But that's irrelevant to this thread.
Old November 20, 2012, 04:20 PM   #62
wwblevins

I'm in Northern Virginia and often cross into Maryland, and seldom into D.C.
I have had my CCW in Virginia since they were first issued in 1997.
I never have a weapon when I cross into either locale. It is illegal to do so. Forget D.C. under any situation; and keep in mind, in D.C. ammo is considered a weapon! I usually have a couple of 20-round boxes of ammo in my console.
Once I forgot to remove them, and went to an event at the Verizon Center. The valet guys could have been nosey and discovered them.
I'd be in big trouble.
This is the most idiotic set of laws I know of, but it is what we deal with living next to to non-free states.
It sucks, but unless you want to risk losing your weapons, maybe even your job, if they want to make an example of you and search your home as well.