The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 30, 2012, 12:27 PM   #1
tristar viper

Taurus PT709

First, I did a search and most threads I saw were quite old, from 2009 and 2010.
Has anybody recently purchased one of these guns? Is it good, bad, etc. ?
I looked at one of these this morning after using the range. I have been looking at a few single stack 9mm's lately, and to be honest I would like to try another Taurus and I like this 709. The reason I'd like another is because I have a 738 that has been a totally phenomenal little gun for almost 2 years now.
Please provide any experiences you have, as long as it is with the most current version of the PT709.
Old December 30, 2012, 03:26 PM   #2
nyhttrain

Taurus PT709

I just purchased one last week and went to the range this weekend. I too have read good things about this 9mm. I shot about 50 rounds of 124 grain I think it was of Blazer and 50 rounds of monarch 115 grain and 50 rounds of some stuff the range had 115 grain all ball ammo and it all shot well. The only problem I had was before the last round was fired the slide would lock in the open position. This happend about 5 times. The first couple of times it happend I actually ejected the magazine and there was still one round left. I then started to pay closer attention at to when it would happen. I could not tell when it would and why. I never cleaned the pistol before firing as it was clean, only thing I did was to put a couple of drops of oil on the slide rail. After the range I went back home and dissasembled the weapon and could not find any mechanical problems with it. I then dissamble the magazine it has was appeared to be some type of assembley grease in it and i the spring and cleaned it and the follower and magazine well. I have not had a chance to go back to the range and see if cleaning the magazine has fixed the problem. The pistol never jammed or stove piped any rounds. It would just push the last round forward enough for the follower to catch and lock the slide open. I was able to release the slide and shoot the last round. I was kinda dissapointed in this and I was really wanting to depend on this weapon as a concealed carry gun, I'm having second thougths now. I'm going to contact Taurus Monday and see if they have had any other PT 709 SLIMS do this. I did order two new magazines online and do not have them yet. When I get those other magazines I'm going to inpsect them also before I go back to the range and see if the issue is resolved. The gun shoots really well and I was able to ajust the rear sights and functions great until it holds the slide open. I wonder if anyone else has had this problem or something like it. Until I can fully trust this weapon I'm going to carry my full size Smith and Wesson M&P which has functioned flawlessly just hard for me to conceal. I hope this helps.

Last edited by nyhttrain; December 30, 2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old December 30, 2012, 04:40 PM   #3
tristar viper

No.....telling me your new gun (the same gun I am considering) had problems does NOT help
Taurus will tell you "we never heard of that happening" so don't expect them to own up to it, even if 20,000 of those guns have had the exact identical problem.
Old January 4, 2013, 02:41 AM   #4
nyhttrain

Taurus PT709

I was able to get in touch with Taurus today, they are sending me a new magazine and a site screw (the head is a little rounded out really no big deal just thought since I had to call them might as well fix that too) and was really pleased with their customer service. Since my gun only came with one magazine I have been looking for a couple of extra ones but no luck everyone is out of stock, but a few companies think they will have them in a couple of weeks, as soon as I get a new magazine I will be back at the range and give you an update. I do really like this gun and If it still malfunctions, to lock open on the last round (which I don't believe it will after I get the new magazine) Taurus will repair or send me another one.
Old January 4, 2013, 12:15 PM   #5
Lemmon

I like my PT709

I really like my PT709. It fits my hand and pocket nicely. I plan to load some 147 grain reloads and try them out soon. I have been using Blazer Brass 115 gr Brass rounds and have had no problems. It is a good economical pistol.

Lemmon
Old January 4, 2013, 01:45 PM   #6
Catbird

I purchased my Taurus PT709 Slim about 3 weeks ago. I've only had a chance to fire 100 or so rounds of various 9mm ammo. This pistol has been 100% reliable so far. I happen to own ~3 dozen semi-auto handguns that I've collected over my life time which I use for recreational shooting. It's been extremely rare for me experience absolutely no failures of any kind in these other pistols, especially during initial break-in.

As you probably know, this pistol is DA/SA and is striker fired -- this means that, unlike many other pistols, if a round fails to fire due to a faulty primer, the shooter has additional chances to fire that same round in DA mode.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old January 4, 2013, 09:12 PM   #7
tristar viper

I had my hands on one of these tonight, but I just couldn't "pull the trigger" on the purchase.
Old January 7, 2013, 08:26 PM   #8
outlawzrider83

whats the going price on these? i beleive id like to own one
Old January 7, 2013, 09:00 PM   #9
tristar viper

$299 here in Ohio for the FS, which is one mag.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:12 PM   #10
outlawzrider83

ok cuz here in wv im seeing 350.00
Old January 7, 2013, 10:21 PM   #11
afone1

I have never owned a Taurus, and I never will. Everyone I know that has owned one had problems. Mainly jamming and stove piping.
Old January 7, 2013, 10:43 PM   #12
Catbird

Mine was $329 minus a $30 mail-in rebate = $299.

ONE NATION UNDER GOD
Old January 8, 2013, 04:09 AM   #13
tristar viper

At a couple stores here you can get the "B" model, which is with two mags, for $349.
Old January 8, 2013, 11:39 PM   #14
Justice06RR

I've owned 709 and 740Slim

Never had any issues with mine. I've owned them both within the last 2years. I bought the 740Slim first (used) to replace a problematic PF9, but it was too snappy for such a small pistol that I sold it and bought a new 709. Both pistols did not have any type of malfuction whatsoever.

The only minor issues is the small grip and unconventional trigger feel, but I'm nitpicking there. and this is coming from a guy who loves XD's, M&P's, and most recently Glocks.

Quote:
I have never owned a Taurus, and I never will. Everyone I know that has owned one had problems. Mainly jamming and stove piping.
You may not know enough people. Not all Taurus firearms are that bad, although they do get a bad rep. They are not the best, but not the worst either. Keltec and Hipoint, among others, are below Taurus in quality and reliability.
Old January 9, 2013, 01:33 AM   #15
Theohazard

The gun shop where I work stopped carrying Taurus because we were tired of customers bringing them back with problems. Our gunsmiths and our range personell see a disproportionate number of Tauruses with problems. A co-worker of mine summed it up best when he pointed out that a Taurus is a good gun IF you get a good one. The problem is that you're too likely to get a bad one.
Old January 9, 2013, 05:14 AM   #16
tristar viper

Theohazard in not incorrect with his statement....it's very true what he just said. You might get a good one and you might get a bad one, and that's my dilemma with buying the 709 right now....
Overall though I think Taurus and their quality is on the upswing, you don't seem to hear quite as many horror stories.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:34 AM   #17
nyhttrain

Mine friend purchased a 709 like mine and has no problems with it. I told him about what mine did and he cleaned the magazine and gun before going to the range and has had zero malfunctions. I believe he as fired over 300 rounds through it. That was not all at once but on different trips to the range. I just got a new magazine today and took it apart to see if it had what I would call assembly grease in it. It did not have any grease in it and did not look like the one I had problems with. I don't know if this is something Taurus does for shipping or not but I would recommend taking apart and cleaning the magazine before going to the range. The Pierce extensions make the pistol feel much better when shooting, gives your finger a rest would also recomend them, but not needed. I'm going to compare my magazine that came with my gun that is now cleaned and the new cleaned magazine to see if I have any problems. (I still believe my initial problem was with the magazine). I keep you posted on my results.
Old February 3, 2013, 02:58 PM   #18
SauerGrapes

I bought one not long after they first came out. I still have it and carry it all the time.
I've had a couple FTE in the last 1,500 rounds or so. That may have been my handloads though.
Needless to say, I really am, quite happy with it. It fits my want and need for a single stack 9mm.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 17, 2013, 09:48 PM   #19
nyhttrain

I finally was able to go shoot my PT709 with some new magazines and the original.I never had any FTF, OR FTE. I only used 150 rounds but considering the first time I shot the gun it hung the slide open several times in 50 rounds. I believe the yellow packing or shipping grease in the magazines caused the initial problems. Now I make sure it's stays clean and slide lubed, and shoot quality ammo. I still carry this weapon every day for a CCW and I know any gun at any given time could have some type of failure. Knowing and practicing how to clear and solve a malfunction in a high stress situation can save your life. Hopefully that time will never happen but if it does you will be prepared.

*NRA MEMBER*
Old February 18, 2013, 05:05 PM   #20
bonefamily

Quote:
I finally was able to go shoot my PT709 with some new magazines and the original.I never had any FTF, OR FTE. I only used 150 rounds but considering the first time I shot the gun it hung the slide open several times in 50 rounds. I believe the yellow packing or shipping grease in the magazines caused the initial problems. Now I make sure it's stays clean and slide lubed, and shoot quality ammo. I still carry this weapon every day for a CCW and I know any gun at any given time could have some type of failure. Knowing and practicing how to clear and solve a malfunction in a high stress situation can save your life. Hopefully that time will never happen but if it does you will be prepared.
I just received mine though have not yet got to the range with it. I believe there is another thread regarding a magazine problem and the 709. I'll be sure to take my magazine apart and check for being over greased before taking it out the first time. Thanks.