The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 16, 2005, 10:43 PM   #1
Anarx

Physical Training?

Hey guys eventually i want to do some Tactical live fire training and such.. and would like to be in shape to do so..

i was wondering what the ladys and gents on the forum do for a dayly workout?? one of the things i'm thinking is personally i dont really have a good plan for working out..

Any sugestions? perhaps posting your workout secduale?
Old February 16, 2005, 11:09 PM   #2
Jungle Work

Three Miles a day, up the hill, down the hill.

Onle half mile swim each day.

Isometrics, situps, pushups, weights every other day.

Jungle Work
Old February 16, 2005, 11:28 PM   #3
reildeal

two miles at least every other day. Weight Training every other day(every day if schedule permits). Typical "Every other day Routine": shoulders, Back, Squats, Chest(bench, incline, decline, butterfly, cable crosses), Rest of leg exercises(leg ext., ham curls, calf raises), Curls, Skull Crushers(Tri's), Abs, Pullups, Dips, then run 2 miles. When my schedule is a little less hectic, I break up the days so legs are one day, upper body is the next. Each way, I give the worked body parts 1 day of rest,(with the exception of running, which I do every day if possible).
Old February 17, 2005, 12:46 AM   #4
carebear

If you aren't training for a specific event a regular body weight exercise program you can do in your house (like described above) with a regular brisk 20-30 minute walk or run depending on your health (the old "constitutional") should do fine as a fitness program.

The key is to do it regularly and gradually increase the amount and/or difficulty of the exercises.
Old February 17, 2005, 01:14 AM   #5
accordingtome

Im a personal trainer on the weekends and to tell you the truth you really don't need to kill yourself to be healthy. Just go buy a workout video like that Billy Blanks Basic Training tape that just came out. That is something you can do at your house three times a week.. easy.. Then as you get better just do the harder tapes. If you have a lazy personality this is the tape for you as Billy can talk you into actually getting off the couch. This tape is also widely talked about in the martial arts arena too as being a great conditioner. Also if you have someone else in the house you can inspire them to do it too. As you get really good at it then you can add a run once a week. Then more if you feel like it.

Exercise like everything else in life is something you have to enjoy doing. If you don't like it you will not stick to it. Thats why most people quite the gym after a few weeks. They get a trainer in there that makes them do a bunch of things that 1. there not used too 2. they feel weird doing. 3. and they just don't like doing. So try everything at least once and pick what you like doing. You will stick with it a lot longer.
Old February 17, 2005, 03:02 AM   #6
Anarx

ahh cool that some good advice.. see i love working out sometimes its just a time issue and or a willingness issue *sometimes you just feel drained from the day 'like today i was litterly drained of my plasma weach suprzingly made mw quite physically drained'* and just dont feel like working out

i used to be in fairly desent shape at one point i was doing 3 hours of martial arts twice a week and that broke down to 1 of brizlan jiu jitsu, Mui Thai kick boxing, and Jeet Kun Do.. during that time i went from 220 to 235.. now i'm siting at 260 becuse of siting.. according to the military i should weigh in at a little less then 200 *weach seems inprobable almost to me*

i have a feeling i will just start taking a good 2 mile or so jog every morning at the least.. theres a nice trail not to far from here.. but i need to burn off this weight its buging the hell out of me

good advice plans guys keep em coming
Old February 17, 2005, 03:16 AM   #7
accordingtome

A fat guy doing Martial Arts.. you could go Sumo lol.. hahaa just kidding
Well with your muscle memory it sould not take too long to get back into it.
Do that Billy Blanks video it works..,. very fast at cutting the weight. I dropped 6 lbs in a month.. eating the same.
Old February 17, 2005, 06:17 PM   #8
shep854

A (mild) heart attack is a great motivator.
Old February 17, 2005, 06:23 PM   #9
seb5

For me 3 runs a week, usually 2-3 miles alternated by 3 workouts. Usually day 1 chest, tri's, calves. 2. back, bi's, hams. 3, shoulders, quads, abs.

I know it's different but this way I can hit trunk, arms, and legs every workout and can tri set. I work out alone at home and can finish a 15 set workout in 40 minutes.
Old February 18, 2005, 03:13 PM   #10
KSFreeman

Stretch, run, work your forearms and trunk. Weights are a bonus.

I stretch (yoga several times a week). I run (five times a week), forearms/hands for speed and strength (five times a week, sometimes work them at lunch, trunk (five times a week). Twice a week I have martial arts practice and that involves rolling about with sweaty men, beating beat up and swinging swords about.
Old February 18, 2005, 03:44 PM   #11
Duxman

Aside from the standard weights, cardio, and martial arts trainning, there is a very cool alternative training method being taught by an ex-SF guru - Matt Furey. Its the hindu system of squats, push-ups and back bridges. I have been on this program for 4 months now and feel great. Probably the best shape of my life. (I used to be a full contact kickboxer back in my college days.) Also it only takes about 20-40 minutes a day to do the routine. WWW.MATTFUREY.COM And pick up combat conditioning. Good luck!
Old February 18, 2005, 05:30 PM   #12
USP45usp

Good topic.

I used to be in better shape but then I got couchitis. I'm lucky that I don't gain weight and have actually lost weight (which maybe a bad thing, I have to get some blood tests done ).

I've been thinking about getting into some routine, especially either fast walking or light jogging (I have semi-flat feet so I am prone to shin splits). I figure that if I need to get into a mode that I can do "flight" instead of just depending on the gun to save the day (that is if I have the option of flight).

Wayne
Old February 18, 2005, 06:57 PM   #13
abelew

Do short sprints/runs and then walk, then run/sprint again. Short term endurance is best for those situations. Running distance will improve your long term stamina, but fights, etc are very demanding on your heart, and thats a good way to get your heart in shape for a start-stop activity as such

Shin splints-the more you run/jog the less you will have till you have none
Old February 20, 2005, 07:52 PM   #14
HK_Shooter

All Good Suggestions!

Everyone has offered you some great suggestions on starting a physical training program. Probably most important though is the suggestion to choose a workout you enjoy. Also I might add that you shouldn't try to advance to quickly. The worst thing to happen is to injure yourself and have to stop training. This can make it even harder to start back when your healthy again.

I have a pretty strenuous workout schedule due to my job. I lift 6 days a week working a different set of muscles each day. I also do cardio 6 days a week. These sessions include 4 mile runs 3 days a week broken up with either 11 mile bike rides or 3.5 mile sessions on an elliptical trainer. All cardio sessions are 30 minutes in length. 8 hours of Maratial Arts training each week added to the 30 hours spent instructing where I end up averaging around 100-150 pushups and sit ups a day. All this so I can keep my students from out sparring me. hehe.

Good luck with your training and kudos for deciding to improve your physical fitness.

Shoot straight and stay safe

HK_Shooter
Old February 20, 2005, 08:08 PM   #15
Troponin

If your only goal is to be in shape, I would keep weight lifting to a minimum and just do cardio. Weight training can eventually break your body down if you are not keep up on a good diet. Train no more than 3 days a week and use the KISS rule. Stick to major movements and short rest periods. Too many guys are over training and never know it. Just make sure you have a strong core, abs, lower back, and legs and the rest will follow. We have knick names for guys who train for looks, Disco bodybuilders and beach bums. Don't get stuck in that category. No one muscle is more important than another. They all work together to get a major task done.

Weight training is my main hobby. My life revolves around family, then weight training, and guns just happen to be last. I actually mod at a pretty big weight lifting forum and have trained a few guys, one who stepped on stage for the first time this year.

Once you start getting that runner's high and seeing gains, you will get addicted. Just stick to healthy eating with those two and you will have a new life style of being healthy.
Old February 24, 2005, 09:23 PM   #16
abelew

Weight training to an extreme can break down your body, but being stronger, and having a good cardio workout would be a good thing. Having brute strength (not Arnold size, but being able to lift your weight) plus a strong cardio would work very well in a fight, because you would be able to manhandle the person better if he was on top of you. Cardio is important, but being able to run a mile, but having no strength, I would whip you all over the room (unless you were proficient in martial arts, or some other fighting style), because I would just, throw a quick strike to your throat, take you to the ground, roll you over, and put my knee on your neck, yank one of your arms towards your head untill you cried. The single most important thing in a fight is to be decisive, quick, and use the element of suprise to your advantage (do something unexpectedly, confidently, and accuratly).
Old February 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #17
reildeal

It most importantly has to be something you enjoy. I however see nothing wrong with training to adjust your appearance. Some may look at it as being vain, and in bad taste. I tend to believe that self esteem and confidence is a contributing factor to overall health. It can be detrimental if done solely for aesthetic reasons. Personally, I train(cardio and weight) for several reasons. It makes me feel better physically, I am stronger, I am healthier(in part because of my diet as well), and it gives me an outlet of physical activity as I am at a desk all day for work. It also makes me feel better about myself as far as I look. As with anything though, when you do something, you have to be smart doing it, and educate yourself. If you want size, you can get size, if you want tone, you can get tone, if you want strength, you can get strenght, if you want endurance, you can get it, just be smart on how you do it. It's your body, take care of it, and take the path to the results that YOU want.

Also take it slow in the beginning and let your body adapt to your schedule. Secondly you don't have to stick to 3 days a week. You can do less or you can do more. If you really wanted to train 6 days a week, you could as long as you give the areas that you work at least 1 day of rest in between.
Old February 24, 2005, 10:22 PM   #18
seb5

I think the important thing in getting fit is balance. It took me a long time to find that balance. I'm 5-9 and at 30 was 165 when I started lifting. By 35 I was 200. Too much lifting and eating. I was strong but could'nt run a good lap. At 40 I'm down to 185 at about 10% body fat and run a good 5K time. I think it's interesting to watch the youngs guys for our military PT tests. There are a few who can outrun me. There might be some who do more push ups. There are'nt any who beat by total score.They have no balance.

I also think it depends on your requirements. Abelew, as a cop it might be more important for us to work on aerobic and anaerobic exercises. We have different job requirements than some. It's sad but I am much better able to meet a physical challenge at 40 than I was at 30. Wisdom and youth don't seem to co-exist.
Old February 25, 2005, 04:09 AM   #19
bubba2

www.crossfit.com

My brother in law used to fight NHB and he told me about a website called crossfit.com I have started to do the workouts every day well what I could do of them and it is probably the best system I have ever done. The best thing is it is free they post a new workout every day and I think it will take me a while before I can do the entire workout but I enjoy it and from what the website says there are a lot of SF doing the workouts.