The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 16, 2009, 11:48 AM   #26
NickySantoro

Have you learned any lessons from watching "The First 48"

Police in Memphis are every bit as smart as police in New Jersey.
Old August 16, 2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Crankylove

I watch the First 48 quite a bit. Good show. Shows me you can be a victim anytime, anyplace, for any reason. Whatch where you go, and who you associate with, and always watch your back.

Some of the responses on this thread kinda suprise me. Lots of people telling each other to get a lawyer, don't talk to the cops, don't talk about the crimes you commit, the police are out to get you, they will make you incrimminate yourself etc. Maybe I am missing something............but, I don't commit crimes to start with, and have never had to worry about incrimminating myself, or telling people about my crimes. Seems like a lot of people advising each other on how to get around the laws and courts........instead of living within the law to start with.
Old August 16, 2009, 12:46 PM   #28
porkskin

one lesson they have shown is burned up cars do not leave evidence behind. wish they wouldn't show that so much, just in case a bg is watching. also, revolvers leave no casings behind...obvious but a point not wasted
Old August 16, 2009, 12:52 PM   #29
kazanski612

Quote:
Some of the responses on this thread kinda suprise me. Lots of people telling each other to get a lawyer, don't talk to the cops, don't talk about the crimes you commit, the police are out to get you, they will make you incrimminate yourself etc. Maybe I am missing something............but, I don't commit crimes to start with, and have never had to worry about incrimminating myself, or telling people about my crimes. Seems like a lot of people advising each other on how to get around the laws and courts........instead of living within the law to start with.
Trust 50% of what you see, 25% of what you hear, and far less what you find on the internet.

Now, having said that, these 2 videos with a "lawyer" (guy claiming to be, but who knows) and a "former detective" are informative and if nothing else, entertaining.

Part 1

Part 2
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes." - Thomas Jefferson's "Commonplace Book," 1774-1776, quoting from On Crimes and Punishment, by criminologist Cesare Beccaria, 1764
Old August 16, 2009, 02:42 PM   #30
akr

Crankylove==

You must be very young and very naive. It's not that simple.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old August 16, 2009, 03:17 PM   #31
porkskin

oh yeah and video survellance is everywhere now
Old August 25, 2009, 02:21 AM   #32
Dr Raoul Duke

Quote:
Excuse me Crazylove, but did you know that innocent people are arrested for crimes they did not commit? I was arrested a few years back because a nasty woman claimed that I had held a 3 foot sword to her neck, choked her almost unconscious, and threatened to kill her if she ever told anyone about it. Two patrol cars ambushed me in my driveway, the four officers arrested me at gun point; "stop or we'll kill you". They almost broke my left arm throwing me in the patrol car, despite my warning that I had a bad rotator cuff in that shoulder. At the PD a Sargent informed me of my rights, read the woman's complaint, and asked me if I wanted to make a formal statement without an attorney present. I asked him two questions: Did they have the sword? and Did they have any witnesses supporting the woman's complaint? He replied in the negative to both questions. At this point I had been ambushed, had four men threaten me with firearms, my left arm hurt like Hades, all on the say so of a crazy lady with no corroborating evidence. The only person that could possibly help them successfully prosecute me was, ME! The Constitution tells me that I have the right to remain silent, that if I gave up the right to remain silent anything I said could be used against me, that I had the right to have an attorney present during questioning. Which of my Civil Rights should I toss away at this point? Now, I had one nasty argument with that woman, but I never touched her, never threatened her, did not have a sword (?) or any other weapon, there were three witnesses present, and the only violence was when she hit me; twice. I had already experienced the polite and understanding ways of the PD, so I decided to pass on the offer of making a statement. They let me keep my cell phone in the tank, so I called my Mom and a very good criminal lawyer. It was late on a Friday night, so seeing a Judge would not happen until Monday at the soonest. So, I decided to go to jail. I ended up spending the time in the Medical unit, because of my diabetes and other medical problems, so it was kind of like Motel 6 with Sheriff's Deputies. I was scheduled to see the Judge on Tuesday. My attorney came to see me on Saturday, and again on Monday, and had the statements of the three witnesses, which all supported me. He also had the crazy ladies mental health and arrest records which he had provided to the DA. There were 212 men in the big pen in the basement of the Courthouse on Tuesday, and I sat there until there were three of us left. Then a Marshal came in, called out our names, and said "released, no charges filed".

I was arrested again because I fit the description of the "wheel man" of a team of bank robbers that had been working this area. I really thought they were going to kill me that time, especially when they found my CCW. They hauled me downtown, and I was in the tank for 4 hours until my Attorney arrived. By then they had already realized that I was not the ONE, but having a friendly face show up is worth spending a few dollars.

So, people can and do get arrested for things they have not done. I make it a policy to keep my mouth shut and call a good lawyer.

Dr. Raoul Duke
Gonzo Forever
Old August 25, 2009, 03:40 AM   #33
Nnobby45

Quote:
+1 always get a lawyer. If you not under arrest walk out if they arrest you get a lawyer and dont say a word.
I watch both shows all the time and haven't noticed them trying to put innocent people in jail. Lawyering up just because they want to talk to you during their investigation is kind of a good immitation of the murderers they question. Co-operating to an extent seems like a good way to get them off your back. O.K., I said to a point.

If I'm a suspect, I want my lawyer.

Interesting that a lot of detectives featured on the show don't give the appearance of highly educated criminal justice graduates. However, I've become rather impressed with how streetwise and effective they can be, having come up through the ranks.

Oh yeah, lessons-- you can be murdered without the slightest remorse.

You can be murdered by someone you thought was your friend.

You can become an instant victim of opportunity, and nobody seen a thing.

Too many victims heard a knock on the door and just opened it right up and let their murderers in.

And, behold-- sometimes a brave individual comes forward and puts their life on the line by telling what they saw. Real life show.

Last edited by Nnobby45; August 25, 2009 at 04:38 AM.
Old August 25, 2009, 08:39 AM   #34
Chettt

I always feel this show gives the bad guys too many ideas on how to lawyer up, burn the victim and his car etc.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:14 AM   #35
bababooey32

Quote:
The detectives they are talking about DO seem to be very aggressive to these suspects which are considered "innocent" in order to get information.
I prefer the police to be aggressive. That's how crime gets solved. I don't need the police to be concerned over everyone's "feelings" while trying to solve a murder. I love watching how they handle people on these shows.

Quote:
despite my warning that I had a bad rotator cuff in that shoulder.
HA! I bet they never hear that one before!!!!

EDITED to add:

One thing I notice on these shows is that innocent bystanders rarely are involved in these incidents. There is always SOMETHING going on with all the participants in any given case. Even if that something is legal, it is likely bad bahavior, adultery, or just general sleaziness.
Old August 25, 2009, 11:31 AM   #36
Sparks2112

Quote:
There is always SOMETHING going on with all the participants in any given case. Even if that something is legal, it is likely bad bahavior, adultery, or just general sleaziness.
Good thing lack of intelligence isn't one of the legal behaviours you've listed that somehow justify police harassment. You might have a problem otherwise...
J.M. Johnston
Old August 25, 2009, 12:32 PM   #37
ATW525

Quote:
I always feel this show gives the bad guys too many ideas on how to lawyer up, burn the victim and his car etc.
I don't think it helps them much. Most of these people don't put a whole lot of thought into murdering people, they just jump right in with both feet and do it.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:23 PM   #38
bababooey32

Quote:
Good thing lack of intelligence isn't one of the legal behaviours you've listed that somehow justify police harassment. You might have a problem otherwise...
Ad Hominem attacks are generally the first sign of a low IQ. Let me know if you need help looking up what Ad Hominem means.
Old August 25, 2009, 01:28 PM   #39
pax

And that'll do it.

Closed.

pax
Closed Thread