The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 18, 2006, 09:28 AM   #1
Lord Bob

CZ 550 .308 Loads

I've got a CZ 550 308 laminated stock varmint rifle. I'm wondering if anyone has any tried and true recommendations for factory ammo, or know of any handloads that work well in this rifle. My range time is extremely limited, so I'd like to cut down on the Columbus method of finding ammunition this rifle likes. I'd appreciate the help.
Old July 18, 2006, 11:10 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

Unfortunately, owing to normal manufacturing tolerances, two guns that are the same make and model can like different loads. All you can hope for is people reporting that "X,Y, or Z works for me". It doesn't mean it will for you. There is no magic bullet for that. About as close as anything comes would be Dan Newberry's Optimum Charge Weight loads. You have to use the same case (Winchester) and primer (various listed) brands, as well as the same bullets and powder charges with them. There aren't many to choose from yet.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old July 18, 2006, 11:30 AM   #3
Jim Watson

168 gr Sierra Match Kings and IMR or H-4895;
175 grain Sierra Match Kings and Varget or AA2520.
Frankly, best accuracy often comes at or near the maximum, so follow all that boring fine print about starting loads and working up.

If you cannot get at least reasonably good accuracy somewhere in there, something is wrong. Yes, you can fiddle and diddle and optimize for your rifle but the above components cover a large percentage of match rifle ammunition so it has to average pretty good.
Old July 18, 2006, 03:17 PM   #4
Lord Bob

So I should go ahead and shoot with these loads before chamfering out the barrel channel, or will it make a huge difference? Shooting as is won't be a problem, but I wonder if free floating the barrel will make a difference.

And Thanks for the ideas!
Old July 18, 2006, 03:47 PM   #5
rem33

well my CZ isn't a 308 but if yours shoot like mine you don't need to fix it
Old July 18, 2006, 05:56 PM   #6
hodaka

Mine liked the 150 and 155 Sierra's with around 44-46 grains of IMR 4064. Never did as well with the 168's or 180's. I use WW brass and Federal Gold primers. Although the best group I ever shot was with surplus WC-852 (50gr) and 150 Sierra's although it was at a very low velocity and not very practical.
Old July 20, 2006, 06:53 AM   #7
rn22723

There are no short cuts to safe reloading, either you have time and inclination or you do not! Period! I do not believe your justified in copy catting other peoples work! What is safe in one gun my not be safe or accurate in your gun! You have to do the leg work! No free lunchs! Nope!

Now, if you I were you!
WW or Lapua brass (forget Fed or other brass)
CCI BR2 Primers
Varget Powder
Sierra 168gr SMK or 175gr SMK

Work up your load to the powder charges found here www.hodgdon.com

My guess is that if you were work up to the max charge you will find the sweet spot for your rifle. And, at the same time you will have some fire formed cases for your rifle! Use that Dan Newberrys OCW method and you will be proud of yourself! Now quite keyboarding and get loading! Time is wasting!

If you wanted out of box match ammo, then look at BHA either 168 or 175 OTM offerings!