The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 30, 2007, 01:03 PM   #26
RwBeV

I live in a state where you could use a cannon if you like. But for coyotes in close (50 yards and under) I use a shotgun. A lot of our calling is done in thick brush or timber (yes we have trees in WY) there is usaually two of us hunting one will carry a rifle usaually my .220 swift and a shotgun loaded with #4 or #2 lead, over the past 30 years we have killed countless coyotes this way. We found early on that trying to hit a running dog at 35 yards with a varmit scope is kinda tricky, this is where the shotgun comes in. I have used everything from a 20 gauge to 10 gauge with the same results.

So learn how to call em in close and use a shotgun......

Keep your powder dry
Bob
Old January 30, 2007, 10:32 PM   #27
bergie

I think that the best load for coyotes with the least pelt damage would probably be #4buckshot. There will be fewer holes but they will be a little bigger.
I have taken coyotes with a shotgun, both called in and chased up while bird hunting. Heavy field loads of #4, 5, or even 6 shot will roll em up close, but when they are the intended target rather than incidental, I prefer a larger shot size. Even 2's I would consider a little light and would prefer to go with BB as a minimum. Could also possibly use T or F goose loads.
Hevi-shot is also marketing a load they are calling Dead Coyote. Making some pretty impressive claims for it, check out their website. They have them in OO buck or T. I think I would go with the T to have a better pattern at longer ranges, OO may not fill in a pattern for a reliable kill at 50+yds.

bergie
Old January 31, 2007, 12:39 AM   #28
skeeter1

Quote:
Where's that skeet, I use rifles all the time.
On private property, rifles are fine, but on public hunting areas here in Ohio, AFAIK, a rifle larger than .22 rimfire are verboten.
Old February 5, 2007, 12:59 AM   #29
Daves-got-guns

my 00 buck out of my mossberg 835 put all of the pellets into the killzone at about 40-45 yards with a modified choke. Wait 1 pellet was missing off of the pattern, but still it patterns nicely. WIth a full choke i could probably use standard pressure 00 out to 50 maybe 55 yards, before wanting to step up to magnum level loads.