The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2013, 10:34 PM   #1
fronty

Help with target shooting setup

I'm new to handguns. I ended up buying a M&P 22 pistol. Here is my current setup:

The paper target is 7". I am planning on adding a few more 4" steel plates to the bottom. I put some tin cans on the crossbars, and I'm thinking about adding some knockover targets. Do you have any ideas on things I can add? I am in the market for a 9mm (XD or G19), so I want to add things I can shoot with both pistols. I'm even open to building an added structure.
Old February 26, 2013, 11:05 PM   #2
chris in va

Looks pretty good.

One of the best targets I discovered is a 1' piece of steel I-beam. Makes a nice PING when hit and holds up very well to handgun rounds.
Old February 27, 2013, 01:27 AM   #3
rodfac

Setup looks fine, but not much of a safety back stop...no tellin' who's out there in the woods. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #4
Hal

Tell me more about the shots on the orange targets on the lower right, then I'll have a better idea of what to recommend.
Old February 27, 2013, 04:04 AM   #5
AndyWest

That's a nice rig, Fronty. Assuming it's safe downrange like rodfac said I live in the city and often wish I had some land like you and others do.
Old February 27, 2013, 08:38 PM   #6
fronty

Thanks

The spinner target is one of my favorite things to shoot. It is only rated for a 22, so I will not be able to shoot it with my future 9mm. I also have a 10" gong in the distance. I was thinking about making a metal crossbar and making my own spinners. Unfortunately, I do not know how to weld. It might be a good time to learn. I don't know, however, if the welds would hold up to the shooting.
Old March 3, 2013, 06:41 PM   #7
WiscBuckmaster

Be careful if youre shooting the bigger heavier plates with a .22
It wont have enough energy to push the plate into a swing which can result in ricochets.
Old March 4, 2013, 06:35 AM   #8
ltc444

For your paper targets, you might want to consider a piece of Masonite. You can staple the cheaper targets on them. I use targets I reproduce on my copier.

I also use chicken wire and clothes pins to hold paper targets. Simply staple a piece of chicken wire on the portion of the frame were you place your paper targets and attach with the clothes pins. I have found that in windy conditions the clothes pins hold the target better than staples.
Old March 4, 2013, 08:40 AM   #9
Yung.gunr

I agree with some stuff others have said. Make sure of your backstop there and all I use nowadays is targets I print off. Much cheaper than getting em from the store. I like em because you can experiment with what kind of target you like best. In the gear section here there is a sticky that has a tone of good online resources for printable targets. It also works good because you don't have to worry about ricochets or welding stuff. For me, it's much easier to work with wood..
Old March 4, 2013, 10:39 AM   #10
buck460XVR

First....you're gonna kill that tree behind the setup if you leave it there, even just shooting .22. Secondly, I would have put longer chains on the steel targets. The closer the targets are to your wood structure, the faster you are going to need to repair it. Only having a inch or two clearance between the steel targets and the support structure means not only are the near misses hitting the structure, but so are bullets that deflect off. A 2x2 or 2x3 don't take much abuse from even the lowly .22LR, before it's done

Otherwise, nice setup, welcome to the world of handguns and enjoy!