The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 12, 2009, 08:18 AM   #1
steve4102

Hornady V-Max vs FMJ

Well, the has snow melted just enough for me to set up at 100 yards. It's been a long winter, felt good to be at the bench again.

I purchased a new Colt AR-15 HBAR II with 16inch barrel back in January. Yesterday was it's first time out at 100 yards. It shoots pretty good, I'm happy.

I loaded up a bunch of 55gr Hornady FMJ with 25gr of Tac, Rem brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers, bullets crimped in the cannelure with LFCD. I also loaded up a couple dozen Hornady 55gr V-Max (no cannelure), 25gr Tac, Rem brass, Rem 7 1/2 primers, bullets crimped with the LFCD.

I'm happy with the accuracy of the FMJ bullets, but not that happy. I will be doing a lot more testing and experimenting trying to tighten things up a bit. This target is a typical 55gr FMJ group.

This is a typical V-Max target. Gotta love the V-Max.
Old April 12, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
plainsman456

I too have found v-max bullets to be quite better than most others.I used Nosler BTs till they raised their price.I use them in every thing from 22 to 30 cal and am not dissapointed.Good Luck
Old April 12, 2009, 10:25 AM   #3
45Marlin carbine

I've had good results shooting the .310 dia 123gr VMax out of my Mini30.
better than any FMJ slug. or SP for that matter.
Old April 12, 2009, 10:58 AM   #4
armedtotheteeth

I love the 55 Grain Vmaxs out of my 223 Bushmaster Ar. That is pretty much all I make for it these days. I too have seen incredible accuracy from those bullets. The best part is the explosiveness of these bullets. Ill tell you from lots of experience, a shoulder shot from a 223 vmax on a 150 pound hog will ruin meat in every direction for at least 6 inches. I have gotten very good at head shots. Did one last night. Base of the neck shot/ back end of the skull. The fronts of both shoulders had a good bit of bruising. Very good bullets. I have thousands of them.
Old April 12, 2009, 11:45 AM   #5
James R. Burke

I have used the V-Max in a few different calibers, and always liked them. I even tryed the 110 V-Max in my 30-06 it was really accurate coming out of a light sporter. I am like the other post using more of them because of the price of the Nosler. The Noslers are great but I agree they cost alot more.