The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 27, 2008, 04:00 PM   #1
remington master

26 or 27 inch barrel

I just got a remington 870 express 26" and i want to know the difference on the accuracy of the 26" and the 28".
Old December 27, 2008, 04:22 PM   #2
jager

2 inchs
Old December 27, 2008, 05:49 PM   #3
BigJimP

There isn't any difference in ballistics with a 26" vs a 28" barrel.

The difference is the overall weight, balance - and sight plane. A 28" is common because its a good compromise for an all around gun that gives you a sight plane length that is about right for a lot of people. The longer sight plane helps with the follow thru as you execute a shot on a moving target.
Old December 27, 2008, 10:17 PM   #4
remington master

hey thanks couse a couple people i talked to were telling me that a 28 inch barrel gives you a whole lot more accuracy and like you said better follow through after the shot
Old December 27, 2008, 10:40 PM   #5
jmr40

Take a poll and most will say 28". I am the exception. I like 28" on a double and 26" or even 24" depending on the gun, on a repeater. You have to consider the overall length and balance of the gun. To me 28" is just a bit too much with the longer overall length of a pump or auto. On some guns, Benelli for example, the receivers are a bit longer and the 24" barrels on those guns will have the same overall length as a 26" Remington.

It really comes down to what you are used to. I do not think you will be handicapped by the shorter 26" barrel. It may not swing quite as smooth on long passing shots, but will mount and swing quicker for snap shots. Practice with what you have and don't second guess your choice.
Old December 28, 2008, 06:27 PM   #6
BigJimP

In a pump or semi-auto - if you select a 28" barrel - it will give you about the same overall length as an O/U with a 30" barrel ( the receiver on a pump or semi-auto is a couple inches longer than a typical O/U ).

Overall length of the gun is a factor - and the lighter the gun - the longer I like it, so I don't have a tendancy to shorten my follow-thru or yank it short on the follow-thru.

In my semi-auto 12 ga - its around 7 1/2 lbs stock weight - so I like it in a 30" barrel as a general purpose gun ( hunting, sporting clays, skeet ). For a general purpose O/U - I like a gun around 8 1/2lbs with a 30" barrel. For Trap -which is a game that has less barrel movement right or left - I favor an O/U with 32" barrels and a gun that is around 10 lbs.

So picking a barrel length - to me - depends on what you want to do with the gun, how much weight you like, how long a sighting plane you like - as well as your upper body strength, the length of your arms, etc But if I could only have 1 gun - I would pick a 28" or maybe a 30" O/U as a compromise.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:46 PM   #7
GaryD

I live dead in the center of duck hunting country in Arkansas and have killed thousands of ducks in my life. A 28" barrel is OK for open field hunting as there are lots of longer passing shots and these are usually at bigger ducks (mallards and pintails);however, most heavily experienced duck hunters in my area go for a 26" barrel as it is much easier to sweep faster and is generally less cumbersome. That 2" of barrel feels more like 6".

In green timber where I do most of my duck hunting, its no contest; only rookies (to green timber duck hunting) and posers use anything other than a 26" barrel. Gadwall, teal and wood ducks are either stone dead or long gone in a fraction of a second, so a slow gun is about as useful as a slingshot.

I have 2 Benellis, 2 Wingmasters and two 870 Express. A 26" Express in all black with synthetic stock is my duck killer. I'll carry one of the Bennelli's only when I don't expect to get in much shooting.
Old December 29, 2008, 03:56 PM   #8
BigJimP

I've used a Browning 30" O/U for years - hunting ducks in flooded timber around Stuttgart, Ark - with no problems. I agree, a shorter barrel swings faster - but it also stops faster - and prevents an effective follow-thru.

I also shoot Skeet with a 30" barrel on an O/U, and sporting clays, Quail, Doves, etc - and there are plenty of quick moves required on those birds as well.

Barrel length is a personal choice, in my view.