The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old August 29, 2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

A rattle at the bedroom door.

You are asleep in bed. The bedroom door is lsupposed to be locked and was when you fell asleep. You have firearm next to you.

1. You hear the rattle (you waken by this sound only) and if you sleep with another person, they are not there.

The door rattles:

a. Challenge
b. Shoot through the door
c. Wait till the door is breached before action - verbal or shooting

2. Same thing but other person is there, the door rattles:

a. Challenge
b. Shoot through the door.

3. You sleep alone in the bedroom and hear the rattle (do other people sleep in the house, you call it in this one). You don't know if they are home or not.

a. Challenge
b. Shoot through the door.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:04 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I have my wife in my room and 2 teens across the house so no shooting thru doors. I do not have a tough dog but do have momma's yapper size dog and my pitbull cross and both will bark at a strange noise or person. Once awakened I would reach for my pump gun and .22pistol. to stash under my pillow. I would address the person and if it is not one of my 3 loved ones I would be forced to head for the door. If I get jumped at the door I am gonna try my best to neutralize the threat. If they are not immediately right there I first must make my way to my kids rooms to check on them and verify their well being. Than I am gonna have to figure out that noise I heard with the help of rosie the red nose bulldog. I may not be following proper protocol but that is all I can think to do.
Brent
Old August 29, 2008, 03:15 PM   #3
fisherman66

A
A
A
Old August 29, 2008, 03:15 PM   #4
chris in va

Never shoot through a door. You simply don't know what's on the other side. Too many times I've read about this happening only to discover it was someone you never intended to shoot. Granted it was one of the house entry doors, but still.

I'd have to say a verbal warning is called for on most scenerios.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:15 PM   #5
NAKing

I would never, ever shoot through a door. This violates one of the four sacred rules of firearm usage, "always be sure of your target."

In all three instances I would challenge from an area of the room that would give me tactical advantage. Once the door is breached and I can identify the person as a threat I would fire until the person is no longer a threat. Once I deemed the house safe I would pick up the telephone and call 911, then administer first aid until police arrived. I am trained in first aid.

I hope this never happens to anybody.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:39 PM   #6
vox rationis

That's:
D. Activate the bear trap underneath my Welcome mat.

Seriously,
the correct answer is to take a strong position of defensive cover in a position away from the door and to announce in a LOUD voice "Who are you and what do you want!", or if it is your bedroom door "I'm armed and the Police are on the way" or something similar. Even if I lived alone and it was my bedroom door, I'd still be very much disinclined to shoot through the door without knowing who I am shooting at.

The detail that the person normally sleeping next to you isn't there, in the above scenario, makes shooting through the door an extremely stupid if not criminal idea.

It is probably the main squeeze, sneaking back after a sweet rendezvous with Zee Lover .

If it is your front door and you think that spying through the view hole is a good idea, well, all I can say is that people on the outside can often see that someone is on the other side peeking through, not to mention that I think there are lenses that allow someone to view into your house through the spy hole. Standing with only a door as cover between you and a potential murderer is a bad idea, cause after all, they might choose to ventilate you through the door as soon as they become aware that you are on the other side of the door.
Old August 29, 2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Scattergun Bob

Glenn

Before I blow more hot air your way can I have more data, When you say there or not there are you meaning beside you in bed or absent from the home? I know, trivial but it makes a difference to me.

Thanks, Bob
Old August 29, 2008, 05:36 PM   #8
jfrey123

I lock my door for this exact type of purpose. I live with roommates who know I lock my door for that vary purpose.

(A) is possible. I believe in my room I have the element of suprise (BG things I'm asleep). If my roommates are there, I'll challenge to make sure it isn't them, and if it is a BG he's now aware I'm awake and will hopefully run and leave them alone too.

(B) Never. At least not with a quiet jiggle on my door. If I've challenged, and they're attempting to breach harder or threatening me verbally, then we'll see how the situation goes.

(C) is more likely. If I'm sure I'm alone or sure it's not a roommate, I'm glad I'm awake now and the adrenaline is probably surging. I'd rather not give away that I'm awake and risk the BG trying to shoot me through the door or something. I'd take a defensive position and hope the door doesn't breach, while attempting 911 by cell phone.
Old August 29, 2008, 06:13 PM   #9
Keltyke

Quote:
1. You hear the rattle (you waken by this sound only) and if you sleep with another person, they are not there.
The door rattles:
After arming yourself, challenge from cover - "Who is it?" Wrong answer - wait until you are sure of your target then take him out.

Quote:
2. Same thing but other person is there, the door rattles:
Take cover, arm yourself, wait until you are sure of your target, then take him out. In my household, he'd get shot twice, once by me and once by my spouse.

Quote:
3. You sleep alone in the bedroom and hear the rattle (do other people sleep in the house, you call it in this one). You don't know if they are home or not.
No one else supposed to be there: See #2.
Others in the house: See #1
Old August 29, 2008, 07:09 PM   #10
KChen986

Shoot through door with an AT-4 CS.

Honestly, in the really off chance that someone is trying to break in to my room, I'd take cover behind my desk and challenge, challenge and challenge.
Old August 29, 2008, 08:16 PM   #11
Stevie-Ray

My bedroom door is never closed.
Old August 29, 2008, 08:59 PM   #12
Dwight55

Like Stevie, . . . my bedroom door is never closed unless my wife or a guest is up watching TV or playing with the game system.

If it were locked, . . . I would be off the bed, . . . on the floor, . . . in a corner, . . . behind whatever cover or concealment was available, . . . in a defensive position, . . . with my .45ACP, . . . awaiting someone to come through the door.

No, . . . shooting through the door is patently wrong, . . . it deserves no statement.

Challenge??? Not for me, . . . as it gives away the fact that I am in the bedroom, . . . it tells whoever is out there that it is a male, . . . and without another voice, apparently alone (1 victim).

Whoever comes in will find a very, very dark room, . . . will need light, . . . and will ID themselves as friend or foe in short order, . . . thus signalling the answer.

My cell phone will be laying on the floor, . . . 911 having been called, . . . they will be able to hear every thing that goes on, off, up, down, in, out, or whatever.

Anyway, . . . that would be plan 1, . . . subject to modification as the situation deemed necessary.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old August 29, 2008, 09:07 PM   #13
guntotin_fool

Never shoot thru a door unless they are shooting thru it first.

I have wired my house so I can flip 4 switches and light up (well enough to see and ID) the whole house, inside and out. I would hit these. light the place up, everywhere but where I am, and then see what's the noise.

I have to say that with two dogs in the house, the likelihood that anyone is in the house without us knowing is very low, they have been conditioned not to eat anything not from us, so they are at very low risk of being poisoned out, but it could happen, but it's very low. Dogs have been guarding human's caves and dwellings for a very long time, and there is a reason for that.....
Old August 29, 2008, 09:25 PM   #14
dabigguns357

This is why i have a camera mounted just above my bedroom door facing down and out into the dining room and it's wired to my tv so i'll always know whats on the other side of the door

New Wireless Color CCTV Security Spy Mini Camera US on ebay for 35.99 buy it now.
Old August 30, 2008, 11:52 AM   #15
NukeCop

Well, this is an EASY ONE

Basic rule of firearms, and self defence. Know your target, and whats behind it. In other words, Identify friend or Foe, assess the situation, and deal with it accordingly.

Personally, I'd NEVER fire through some type of medium that I couldn't see through, unless someone was already firing at me. Even then, it depends on my location. In a house, alone, and the door to my bedroom rattles, call the police, and warn whoever is on the other side to leave, and that police are en route.(stand off to the side for the warning)...
Old August 30, 2008, 12:01 PM   #16
New_Pollution1086

Why would you ever shoot through a door without knowing for sure whats on the otherside.

in the first it would be a big A, Honey that you, make me a sandwhich if your up..

either of the other options would be a little more threatening and maybe with a gun at the ready but still a verbal response.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old August 30, 2008, 12:02 PM   #17
tplumeri

Quote:
well, it wasnt at the bedroom door, but it didnt sound like one of the dogs at the back door....

5 mo old buttercup wandered in from the pasture and ate all the dog food! couldnt get down the steps!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF0109.JPG (109.2 KB, 765 views)
Old August 30, 2008, 12:07 PM   #18
Sparky33

Tplumeri

Looks like you got fresh steaks for a few months delivered. Unless that is a milk cow. I can't tell the difference, sorry I'm a city boy
Old August 30, 2008, 12:17 PM   #19
tplumeri

Quote:
Unless that is a milk cow
Nope, thats a "baby" long horn!
she'll have a 4 ft "rack" when she's 2 years old!

Quote:
sorry I'm a city boy
dont apologize, i was born and raised in NY!
tom
Old August 30, 2008, 12:20 PM   #20
Keltyke

I've heard cows can't (or won't, or are afraid) walk downstairs because their weight causes the front "knees" to bend and there's a real possibility of them tipping over forwards. They can walk down hills because the slope is gradual.
Old August 30, 2008, 12:30 PM   #21
Sparky33

Ah thanks for the clarification. I should really know a long horn when I see one. I suppose I'm used to only seeing them full-grown.
Old August 30, 2008, 12:41 PM   #22
ringworm

do i have time to put on my ninja suit and grab my SOPMOD M4 with green laser?
i will activate the automatic floor sensors turning on the strobe light and smoke machine then release the ferrets.
shoot thru the the door...
what did the door ever do to you?

i dont know...
whats the penetrative potential of an airsoft BB?
Old August 30, 2008, 12:44 PM   #23
tplumeri

Quote:
shoot thru the the door...
you just killed an innocent cow
Old August 30, 2008, 12:51 PM   #24
NickySantoro

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You are asleep in bed. The bedroom door is lsupposed to be locked and was when you fell asleep. You have firearm next to you.

How did the intruder get past your alarm system on your perimeter doors? You have one, of course. After you yelled "I have a gun and I've called 911" what was the response from the other side of the door?
Old August 30, 2008, 02:24 PM   #25
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
you just killed an innocent cow
Are you sure that was just an innocent cow?

Just a gentle nudge to mooove us back on topic. We don't want this to get udderly rediculous .

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread