The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 26, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
Glenn E. Meyer

22 LR subsonics in Semis

I'm seeing 22 LR subsonic ammo becoming available. Having little expertise in such but owning some - how do they function in semi rifles like a 10/22?

While this is a rifle forum - same question for Buckmarks?

Thanks

Glenn
Old March 26, 2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Pahoo

You will or could see problems

While I have had 10/22's that eat just about anything, I've had others that did not function well with subsonics. I have also had problems with some bulk packs that were under-powered. ...

All of my Mk's are more forgiving. ......

Be Safe !!!
Old March 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
new_camper

I believe that they are hit or miss in auto loaders, I know that my ruger mk 3 pistol wont cycle them, then again it only has about 350 rounds down the pipe so it may not be broken in enough
Old March 26, 2013, 12:27 PM   #4
TAKtical

Most subsonics function fine in my 10/22 and 22/45. Super colibri's will not though but I think those are something entirely different. With a 10/22 or 22/45, if you planned on shooting subsonics frequently, you could change recoil springs to allow proper cycling if you were having issues.
Due to several differences of opinion with staff, I am choosing to no longer do business on this forum. Everyone that has a pending order will need to contact me via email at [email protected] Thanks,
-Tom&Tricia
Old March 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Wahoo95

Re: 22 LR subsonics in Semis

Its gun specific since some run fine and others don't. All of mine run great on subs
Old March 26, 2013, 12:50 PM   #6
Technosavant

Most of mine run it just fine. There's not that huge a velocity difference between subsonic and high velocity .22... maybe 10% or so. Much of the "target" ammo is also subsonic, it's just not marketed as such.

My BuckMark (it's the one with the suppressor) will eat subsonic all day long with nary a complaint.
Old March 26, 2013, 06:31 PM   #7
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
22 LR subsonic ammo
It really depends on which you are considering. You can find subsonic .22 in the 375 fps range and up. So, it is a hit and miss depending on the particular firearm in question and the particular ammo.

None of my 10/22s will cycle the lower fps stuff; I shoot a lot of it, just manually rack the bolt. I personally like the CCI CB longs at 710 fps. Quieter than many pellet guns. Aquila Super Colibri is just listening to the firing pin hit the case when fired in a rifle.

In a pistol, again depends on the load and particular pistol sample; not nearly as quiet, therefore I don't bother with subsonic in .22 pistols.

Now, go figure...
Old March 29, 2013, 02:39 AM   #8
DaleA

I think 'standard velocity' .22LR ammunition is sub-sonic but since I see both 'standard velocity' and 'sub-sonic' labeled ammunition on the shelves I wonder if there might be a difference.

I had a .22 LR conversion kit from Colt that I used on a 1911 Colt Government Model that was odd - it liked Remington standard velocity best although I seemed to remember the directions advised against it. It was a real jam-o-matic with most ammunition.

I've used both the standard velocity and the sub-sonic marked ammunition in a 10/22 rifle and both ran okay. YMMV.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:28 AM   #9
Doyle

Remington subsonics are about the dirtiest ammo known to mankind. In a bolt-action, cleaning up after them is mearly a minor inconvenience. In an autoloader it becomes a serious chore.
Old March 29, 2013, 07:59 AM   #10
CTS

Tony Kidd makes a pretty nice bolt operating handle with different springs for different power loads in the 10/22. Trust me, you will love it. http://www.kiddinnovativedesign.com/...mbly_p_51.html
Old March 29, 2013, 10:01 AM   #11
Pahoo

Good reply and product.

slappy
Very helpful reply and the tutorial video was informative as well. Also, the cost of the Kid is very resonable. ....

Thanks and;
Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2013, 10:24 AM   #12
tahunua001

subsomics work just fine with every 10/22 I've tried them in. the 60 grain aquilla super short cases don't feed right though... if you're just talking about the CCI quiets and remington sub sonics then you'll be fine.
Old March 29, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
berettaprofessor

Most "target-grade" ammo is subSONIC, just not marked as such. The Remington subsonics and Wolf Match and others run my semi-autos just fine; 10/22's, Marlin 795, Ruger Mark's, BuckMarks, etc.

Last edited by berettaprofessor; March 31, 2013 at 06:45 PM.
Old March 30, 2013, 02:09 AM   #14
kozak6

The Remington green box subs work fine in my 10/22.

They are almost as loud as hyper velocity with a shorter barrel. I had to listen real close to be able to tell.
Old March 31, 2013, 04:47 PM   #15
B.L.E.

CCI Quiet .22 long rifles won't cycle my Smith and Wesson model 41, however it cycles just fine with 1040 fps target ammo.
Old March 31, 2013, 06:43 PM   #16
balderclev

I use Eley subsonics in my Ruger bolt. They come out at 1050fps which is just under the sound barrier. Very quiet. All you need is something that doesn't break the sound barrier. Going to primer only rounds will probably not cycle in auto.
Old March 31, 2013, 07:09 PM   #17
B.L.E.

Quote:
The Remington green box subs work fine in my 10/22.

They are almost as loud as hyper velocity with a shorter barrel. I had to listen real close to be able to tell
Likely because "HV" .22 Long Rifle ammo is subsonic when shot out of a short barrel pistol and the only differnce is the muzzle blast. Neither round makes that sonic crack of supersonic ammo.

CCI Quiet .22, 40 grain bullet @ 710 fps, is not all that quiet when shot out of a pistol, hearing protection needed.
Out of a long barreled rifle, about all you hear is the hammer and then the target going "plink". I don't even bother with earplugs.
Old April 4, 2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Boomer58cal

I like the Aguile SSS. It's a 22 short case with a 60g bullet at 950 fps. It also has 120 ft/lbs of energy. That's the most powerful subsonic I know of. They hit like a sledge hammer.
Old April 5, 2013, 06:08 AM   #19
B.L.E.

Unfortunately, those 60 grain slugs of Aguila SSS bullets keyhole at 25 yards when shot out of my rifle, which has a 1 turn in 16 inches rifling pitch.
Oddly enough, they don't keyhole when shot out of my Smith and Wesson model 17 revolver. I'm not sure what the rifling pitch is, it's hard to measure it accurately when the barrel is so short that the rifling only makes a half or third of a turn through the length of the barrel.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:08 PM   #20
JD0x0

Quote:
Unfortunately, those 60 grain slugs of Aguila SSS bullets keyhole at 25 yards when shot out of my rifle, which has a 1 turn in 16 inches rifling pitch.
Oddly enough, they don't keyhole when shot out of my Smith and Wesson model 17 revolver. I'm not sure what the rifling pitch is, it's hard to measure it accurately when the barrel is so short that the rifling only makes a half or third of a turn through the length of the barrel.
In my limited experience it seems that revolvers have slightly faster than "normal" twist. the "standard" twist for 22LR seems to be 1:16. The ruger single actions have 1:14 twist for the same bullet. I wouldn't doubt the S&W has a similar twist and that's why it would stabilize the 60 gr bullets.

Ive been interested in the Aguila SSS 60gr but haven't been able to find any rifles with a fast enough twist. Even shilen's aftermarket .22lr barrels still come in 1:16.
Old April 5, 2013, 01:17 PM   #21
RedBowTies88

Standard velocity works fine in my marlins.

however my 22/45 doesn't quite love them.
Old April 6, 2013, 09:25 PM   #22
Willie Lowman

CCI standard velocity is subsonic from my 10/22. It is very accurate and it cycles as well as any ammo I have tried. With my suppressor, the action noise and bullet impact is just about all I hear.

The Quiet Gun loads won't cycle the action but I don't think they were meant to.
Old April 6, 2013, 10:00 PM   #23
deepcreek

I tried running some CCI subsonics through my S&W22a and they jammed. Now I just shoot them through the revolver or bolt actions.
Old April 7, 2013, 06:33 PM   #24
Boomer58cal

The Aguila 60g'ers are accurate to about 75yrds in my stock 10/22 barrel and to 150 yrds in my 10/22 with a tactical solutions bull barrel. By accurate I mean I can hit a 4 in. spinner at those ranges. Never had feeding issues or key holes either. My single 6 9 in. loves them. It's accurate out to 50+yrds.

I've never seen a sub sonic round that can match they're effectiveness on small game. They have 40-50% more energy at 100 than remington subsonics. I hit a coon with one at about 25 yrds square in the chest head on and it did a back flip and roles 10' to a stop. Never seen a .22 LR do that before. Needless to say, I was sold.
Old April 7, 2013, 10:04 PM   #25
Bill DeShivs

"I've never seen a sub sonic round that can match they're effectiveness on small game. They have 40-50% more energy at 100 than remington subsonics. I hit a coon with one at about 25 yrds square in the chest head on and it did a back flip and roles 10' to a stop. Never seen a .22 LR do that before. Needless to say, I was sold."

Sorry, but it's physically impossible for any .22 rimfire to do this. Maybe a muscle reaction to being shot.