The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 22, 2013, 06:34 PM   #1
davidsoc

Whats the best rifle sized safe for $500-$800?

Im looking to buy a safe pretty soon, what are some good ones in the $500-$800 range?

The tallest gun that would ever be in it would be a 91/30 mosin

Also whats a good brand for reusable silicon packets?

Thanks,
David
Old February 22, 2013, 06:41 PM   #2
FtrPilot

Me too...Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old February 22, 2013, 06:49 PM   #3
taylorce1

Here is a good guide for purchasing a gun safe. I went with a Sentry and no complaints on my part, would I like a higher dollar safe? Sure but I found it on Craigslist for less than 1/2 price a new Sentry and couldn't be happier.

Gun Safe Buyers Guide
Old February 22, 2013, 07:26 PM   #4
sigcurious

AmSec(American Security) makes some in that price range. If your loc of OC is SoCal and not FL or NY, Turners had the AmSec and some others in that price range. Sun Welding in Simi Valley is also a safe distributor you could check out. IIRC there was a lock smith by Corona del Mar off PCH that stocked sun welding safes.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:13 AM   #5
PatientWolf

I got a 16-gun from Dicks for $500. I know it isn't as goog as some of the American made ones but the price was what I could afford, it had the mechanical tumbler (which I wanted over the electronic) and claims to have a 1/2 hour fire rating. It is their Field and Stream brand which is rally a Stack-On, from what I understand. It took 3 guys to get it upstairs. And it was the biggest I could fit in the space I had available (I literally went back and forth to the store 8 times to re-measure and see if I could fit the 24-gun safe).

My advise is buy the biggest fire-resistant safe that you can afford, and that fits in the space you have available. Don't think you will fit the number of guns that the safe claims to hold, just use the number as a relative comparison. Buy American, if you can can. I would have, but just could not find one in the size I wanted for less than double the price. I might have been able to justify an extra 30% for the same size made in America, but just didnt have the budget for $1200 for the same size with the same features. Maybe I just didn't know where to look.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:16 AM   #6
Rmart30

I picked up a Cannon brand from Academy for $579... it will hold about 20 long guns comfortably and still have a shelf above them for other things.

Academy runs a 12 month 0% interest special once or twice a year and thats when I got mine.

Safe was heavy but nothing 2 adult men could not handle. A set of piano dollies are the only way to go. Once mine was inside my front door and dollies put on it I moved it to the back of the house by myself.
Old February 23, 2013, 10:36 AM   #7
PatientWolf

Unfortunately, when mine came in the door, I couldn't even close the door before I had to go up 1 flight of stairs with two 90-degree turns. Once up stairs, it slid on the carpet nicely.