The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 29, 2011, 08:03 PM   #1
checkmyswag

which ruger 22 auto and why

Ruger Mark III

definitely want stainless,

how sturdy are the adjustable sights?

what kind of scope should go on this?

how accurate out to how far with which barrel?
Old January 29, 2011, 08:10 PM   #2
DiscoRacing

Quote:
how accurate out to how far with which barrel?
Sounds like it wont be far enough for what you wanna do..

Just add a 3 to your .22, Like I did...

only .22s I have is three .223s.
Old January 29, 2011, 08:16 PM   #3
checkmyswag

Thanks, but for my purposes, the .223 round is too bulky to pack around, can fit 500 .22 rounds in the space of what, 50 .223 rounds? Didn't know how accurate to expect out to say 100m, anything decent at 150m or not enough energy at that distance,

how does the .22 magnum compare?
Old January 29, 2011, 08:17 PM   #4
Japle

OK, you want a scoped .22 Ruger pistol. What are you going to do with it? Targets, competition, hunting or what?
Old January 29, 2011, 08:20 PM   #5
DiscoRacing

Would go for .22mag then.... 100 to 150 is gettin out there for a .22lr...

It will reach that far tho. If your a great shooter.
Old January 29, 2011, 08:24 PM   #6
checkmyswag

I'm a good shot, wouldn't say great.

Would be for small animal hunting, squirrels, rabbits, etc...
Old January 29, 2011, 08:26 PM   #7
DiscoRacing

I quit shooting .22lr because alot of the bulk ammo quality seems substandard...I also reload.... so I can use my .223 for everything from squirrel to whitetail.
Old January 30, 2011, 04:47 AM   #8
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
Didn't know how accurate to expect out to say 100m, anything decent at 150m
Quote:
Quote:
Taking these thoughts into consideration, I might suggest looking into a Ruger Charger or a Ruger 10/22 with a bipod; if you are looking to stay with Ruger and .22lr.

Shooting a squirrel at 100m to 150m is going to take a steady hand and an accurate gun. I have Ruger .22lr pistols, including the Charger, and also their 10/22 rifle. Forget about a red dot, you will have a hard time even seeing a squirrel behind the dot anywhere out at that range. I tried a red dot on my Charger, and at 50 yards the dot obscured the target; considering anything resembling a small group.

I personally "upgraded" my 10/22 and my Charger; better trigger groups, barrels, stocks, etc... for accuracy. I also added scopes; magnification not red dot.

I usually shoot out to 100 yards with my pistols; 1911s, etc. Hitting a squirrel with a hand held pistol out at that range is possible, NOT easy. It is hard enough to hit a squirrel sized target at 100 yards with a scoped "accuracy guaranteed" rifle on a bipod.

Not to mention that you really have to take bullet drop into consideration when you start reaching out with a .22lr.

I have a Bushnell Trophy 2-6 x 32 handgun scope on my Charger. The very fine reticule works great for longer distances; I can really still actually see the target.

I love shooting my Ruger MK II 22/45. I replaced the front sight with a green fiber optic. The rear adjustable has held up just fine. It is a very accurate pistol; and I have owned from The Standard all the way through to the MK IIIs.

However, if I am going squirrel hunting I take my 3-9 x 40 drop reticule scoped accurized 10/22 with a bipod; that I have practiced with a lot.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old January 30, 2011, 06:01 AM   #9
Niantician

I bought a taurus tracker revolver in 17hmr. It had a good 2-6x32 scope and a crisp light single action trigger pull. That being said, i wouln't expext to be able to have enough consistancy at 100yds to humanely dispatch animals. Now."humanely" is a subjective term when it comes to certain animals in my book. But none the less. I think 100yd shots with rimfire handguns are best left to non living targets. Also. A scoped heavy barreled target handgun is not easy to hold on target. That becomes quite apparent with the scope looking at a 100yd target at 6x. Even with shooting sticks. I took the scope off my 17 and put on a holographic red dot. Its now a much more shootable gun.
Old January 30, 2011, 07:18 AM   #10
darkgael

ruger

Quote:

My guess is that, if you intend to hunt squirrels at 100m with a .22 pistol, you had better get used to a small harvest. That would be a difficult shot for a great shooter. Get closer. There is no good reason to be taking shots like that at small game.

In general, though, the Ruger Mark III is a very accurate pistol. In match shooting - indoor gallery matches at 50 ft. - I know of shooters who pretty regularly shoot high expert or master scores using the Mk.III.
Pete
Old January 30, 2011, 07:25 AM   #11
SmokyBaer

Maybe I'm a legend in my own mind but I almost remember shooting 1" groups @150 yards with a 22 pistol.
So why ain't i rich?
Old February 4, 2011, 03:32 AM   #12
m_liebst

Love my Ruger 22/45

To Smokey with the 150yd. 1 inch groups by way of pistol. I'd like to try some of what you're smoking.

I view my Ruger .22 bullbarrel the way that some ballistic heads view the 50 bmg antimaterial rifles. ( I would love getting on of those, but i'm guessing you have to live out in the middle of a desert to shoot.)

My stainless 5 1/2 inch bull barrel functions flawlessly. accurate enough to easily hit soda cans from 25 yards with out use of a rest. with a 2.5 x 30 pistol scope, the squirrels aren't much of a challenge. basically the pistol shoots better then I do or any of the different caliber guns i've used. >(.380 acp 40 s&w .357 sig ) The set barrel/ feeding ramp system is biggest reason for the superior accuracy. thats why people love shooting rugers. The're cheap/ function flawlessly/ eat just about any 22lr cartridge you can find. plus ruger just makes a rugged looken champ. I really hate the round safety indicaters the have on the mkllls Mine has it and theres no real benefit i get beside a crappy piece of plastic on the side. :barf:
Old February 4, 2011, 08:48 AM   #13
22-rimfire

I have a Mark II with 5.5" bull barrel. I highly recommend this barrel and barrel length for accuracy, portability, and balance.

Not sure what a scope will do to the overall balance, but your longer range shooting should improve once you get used to the scope.

I have never shot it over 25 yds except plinking, so I can't really comment on 100 yd kind of shooting. I seldom shoot 22 rifles at 100 yds.