The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 30, 2001, 08:49 AM   #26
nedfig

In my case for meat. Although my employer pays the local game warden to "get rid" of as many as he can.
Old June 24, 2001, 08:11 PM   #27
Glockster35

I want to go Hog hunting in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia also.

I have a group of guys I work with that would be happy to hunt anywhere in Northern California if anyone knows a spot.

Any tips? None of us has ever hunted hogs, but most all of us have hunted deer and elk.

We all live east of the Bay Area near Fairfield.

Anyone want a hunting partner? Let me know I'll be glad to accompany you and your hunting crew.
Old June 24, 2001, 10:33 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

El Rojo: At one time, feral hogs were such a problem for sheep/goat ranchers around the Leakey, Texas, area that the ranchers were setting dynamite traps for them.

They'd find a place where hogs had dug under a net-wire fence, and rig dynamite with a trip-wire detonator. Sometimes spread hog over an acre or two; sometimes ruin a coyote or javelina.

, Art
Old June 25, 2001, 05:57 AM   #29
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

El Rojo, they eat very well. Just remember that they are closer to deer than a farm raised pig. Not much fat, hence you need to cook it moist and as they aren't cleared by a food inspector, you need to throughly cook it. Trichinosis is still out there..

Varmits vrs. game depends on your occupation. My farmer buddies would cheerfully kill all of them due to crop destruction, while some of the pay to hunt places have internal limits.

Giz
Old July 9, 2001, 12:04 AM   #30
Aussie

if any of you blokes know about australia (where i live)
there is a place called cape york, this is the most northern part of oz. on this certain peninsula there is an estimated 2.2 million pigs some of the biggest being about 4-600# (200-300kg).

just imagine what damage this amount of pigs can doto a land mass that only covers 1/4 of Queensland (see an atlas)

just thought this might be interesting
Old July 9, 2001, 01:45 PM   #31
Sam Norton

I would opt for the .308 if the scope was a 2x7 or 3x9 max, and the rifle was farly light I would want a medium to tough bullet 165 grains. This gives you 2 options, head shot if it is standing still to save meat and the power for shoulder shots if it's on the run with an exit would to track.

Best Regards
Sam