The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 24, 2001, 07:07 PM   #1
bullfrog99

7.62x39 for deer

for those of you that have used 7.62x39 to take medium game, how did it perform, what type of bullet did you use?
Old June 24, 2001, 10:26 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I believe there are two or three threads on this subject. You might try using the "Search" feature.

, Art
Old June 24, 2001, 10:27 PM   #3
inGobwetrust

bullfrog,

I've taken several types of game with my Mini 30 loaded with Cor-Bon's 150 gr. 7.62x39 soft-points. These are expensive but worth it as they are accurate and hit pretty hard. Cor-Bon claims 2300 fps.

Many people won't believe it but these shoot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards in my Mini. I wouldn't hesitate to use them for any game up to about 400 lbs. within proper range with good shot placement, as always.
Old June 29, 2001, 05:02 PM   #4
younggenious

i plan on using my ak-47 for mule and whitetail deer this coming up season. I think I might use Federal soft points, but not sure. I know im a good enough shot with my ak to safely take shots up to about 110-120 yds using open sights. I think 7.62x39 is powerful enough for deer because it is very ballistically similar to the 30-30 cartridge. And we all know that many deer have been taken with 30-30's.
Old June 29, 2001, 10:03 PM   #5
Spectre
Staff Alumnus

Not SO similar, perhaps. And the telling issue here, may be sights and trigger, not intrinsic accuracy (much like the NAA miniwheels: some of the most intrinsically accurate pistols ever: try getting match accuracy from one in practice).
Old June 30, 2001, 01:48 AM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, younggenius, if you can regularly hit beer cans at 100 yards, offhand, with your pet rifle, you can probably kill a deer with it. Your accuracy from a bench rest is meaningless, no matter how often you center-punch the target.

The fact remains that you pretty much need a very well placed shot in order to have a clean kill--and "clean kill" is the heart of the matter. The venerable lever-action thutty-thutty has probably killed more deer than any other gun/cartridge combination in North America, but it's probably responsible for more wounded and lost deer, as well.

Art
Old June 30, 2001, 08:11 AM   #7
Ewok_Guy

I use Winchester's 125 gr. PSP for deer. They provide a clean kill and are accurate enough for shots out to about 150 yards.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez