The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 22, 2014, 06:45 AM   #1
Radar262

New Mossberg 590

Hey everyone, I'm new to the board and I just my first brand new gun: Mossberg 590. I have pistols passed down to me but this is the first gun I've bought.

Does anyone recommend field stripping it out of the box an cleaning it or just giving it a nice coat of oil (parkerized barrel)? Is there a specific oil to use ok parkerized guns?

Im going to go shoot this afternoon and take my wife along so she can get a feel for it as well.

Thanks.
Old February 22, 2014, 10:48 AM   #2
natman

I always do at least a field strip, clean and lube on any new gun from any manufacturer. I once pushed an 18" long snake of red grease out of the bore of a brand new 223. I was really glad I didn't just fire it because it was new.

Any decent gun oil will work fine with parkerizing.
Old February 22, 2014, 11:11 AM   #3
SoilworK777

Welcome to TFL.

As mentioned above, at least do a field strip. I have a parkerized shotgun, and that finish really seems to soak up gun oil. I've been using Lucas as of late, and I like it. http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Oil-1000.../dp/B000IG20RM
Old February 23, 2014, 11:14 AM   #4
the rifleer

Yes, it is recommended to clean it. You can use whatever gun oil you want. Don't use WD-40 or anything like it, use a dedicated gun oil designed for firearms.

Don't over lube it, it doesn't take very much oil.
Old February 25, 2014, 10:01 PM   #5
Unlicensed Dremel

Very nice. I really like the Blackwater version of the 590... If I was gonna buy another pump, that's what I'd get.
Old February 26, 2014, 08:10 PM   #6
ClydeFrog

Welcome....

1st off, welcome to TFL.
2nd, Id suggest reading over the weapon owner's manual & learning all the ins/outs.
That said, there are a few good websites, guides & DVDs for gun owners/shotgunners.
See; www.gunvideo.com www.mpro7.com www.midwayusa.com www.nra.org www.brownells.com www.deltapress.com .
Natchez Shooters Supply sells a good Gun Cleaning & Gun Safety For Dummies for $24.95.
www.natchezss.com
As for cleaning products, Id suggest; Ballistol, it's safe(use it with bare hands), non toxic & CFC free. The only - is the spray cans are only 6oz.
I've used Ballistol on guns, rubber, wood, polymer, etc with no issues since 1997 or so.
Other top CLP(clean lube protect) like Mpro7's LPX, Gunzilla, Slip2000, Weaponshield, IGG, Rand CLP, FrogLube.
Many gunners like solvents like Hoppes #9, 7.62, Sweets, and Butch's. I got a new Hoppes #9 synthetic in 2013. A Bore-Snake Viper barrel cleaner can help get the barrel clean after a day on the range or in the field.
Do not use excessive amounts of oil/CLP. A little goes a long way.
As for new shotguns, Id field strip it & clean it with a CLP like Gunzilla or Ballistol.

Clyde
www.weaponshield.com www.mpro7.com www.italiangungrease.com www.gunzilla.us www.slip2000.com
Old February 26, 2014, 09:36 PM   #7
Bullet Bill

The best lubricant I have found for a parkerized finish is the FrogLube paste, it gives it a nice matte black finish and has been far more rust resistant than RemOil, Barricade, or Gun Grease. It solved my rust problems. With the oils it always was rusty whenever I reapplied it.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:45 PM   #8
jersurf101

Good choice on the 590. I love my Marine coat. I have always used good old CLP. Our parked duty 590's enjoyed a very light coat. Taking the bolt apart and the fore arm off can be a pain.

Good shooting and welcome!
Old February 26, 2014, 11:49 PM   #9
bitttorrrent

1st welcome!
2nd Congrats on buying your first gun. I know, it is very different from having them handed down to you.
3rd Post some pictures!
Old February 27, 2014, 07:06 PM   #10
Dragline45

My Mossberg 500 is also parkerized, and I found moly grease works great with it, although just about any gun oil or grease will work equally as well as it is all absorbed into the finish anyways.

The best way to apply oil/grease to parkerized metal is to heat it up before applying as it helps it to absorb it. I don't do this every time, but I will a few times a year or anytime I take it down for deep cleaning.

Liberally coat the barrel, tube, and heat shield if you have one, and take a hairdryer to each part and evenly heat each piece. Once it is heated up, rub the oil/grease into the parts, let sit, and repeat as many times as desired. Don't bother doing this on the receiver as it is painted aluminum, and not parkerized.

Note, depending on how much oil is absorbed into the parkerized finish, it is not uncommon for it to leach oil for a short time.

Tags
590 , mossberg