The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 29, 2012, 05:12 PM   #1
coyota1

Ruger GP 100 bent front sight

When I sighted in my GP several years ago, I had to adjust my rear sight over to the right for proper POI. I was visiting my gunsmith and I casually mentioned it to him. Upon closer inspection he noticed the front sight is ever so slightly canted to the right. A friend of mine has a GP and he has the same issue. At this point I am certain the gun came that way from the factory. I was interested to know if anybody else on this forum is familiar with this. I plan to contact Ruger tomorrow.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
giaquir

Years ago I bought a Ruger Bisley in 44mag.
The front sight was canted to one side.
I called Ruger and sent the handgun and they
fixed it for free. This was years ago as I
said,I don't know their policies now.
Good luck -Ron
Old November 29, 2012, 05:25 PM   #3
Pahoo

It does happen !!

Quote:
I was interested to know if anybody else on this forum is familiar with this. I plan to contact Ruger tomorrow.
I'm going to have to guess that it happens more often than you think. I have never run into this problem with a Ruger but did to with a Taurus. Had to send it in twice, before it got repaired and the last time, there were a nuber of tool marks. That one did not last long, in my collection. ...

Now then, I caught this right from the start and we should always be looking for this problem as soon as we can. You are certianly justified in sending it back to Ruger, for repairs. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old November 29, 2012, 05:29 PM   #4
coyota1

The front sight on GP is easily removed. I'm hoping Ruger just sends me one.
Old November 29, 2012, 05:52 PM   #5
Salmoneye

Is the sight 'bent', or is the barrel not screwed in all the way?
Old November 29, 2012, 06:01 PM   #6
coyota1

The sight it's self is canted "bent". We examined the whole gun carefully and realized this. Stan (gunsmith) had a blaze orange replacement sight, so he installed it. Sure enough it was perpendicular and not canted. It's not the barrel, not the slot, it's the sight. If the orange sight wasn't so gosh offal ugly, I would have kept it in.
Old November 29, 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
laytonj1

delete
Old November 30, 2012, 05:08 PM   #8
coyota1

I called Ruger customer service, and a woman at the other end told me in a fuzzy way; "there is an issue with this. You need to send the gun to our repair department to fix this". I couldn't get an answer as to any specific issue. I'm reluctant to send it in. The trigger has been improved by the previous owner, and I am concerned they would mess it up, and send it back to me rough, and creepy.
Old November 30, 2012, 06:57 PM   #9
dahermit

Many years ago, I purchased a used Ruger Super Blackhawk. After a short time, I realized that the front sight had been silver soldered on at an angle. I just adjusted the rear sight to compensate. Was not overjoyed with it that way, but learned to live with it. I often wondered how that could happen. Certainly they use jigs and fixtures to keep things straight while Silver Soldering on the front sights.
Before someone suggests that the sight may have been bent, the sight blade and the base were integral, the base was definitely soldered on at an angle.
Old November 30, 2012, 07:06 PM   #10
coyota1

The blade on the GP 100 is separate, and removable. I pretty much decided not to pursue sending the gun in. I would rather buy another sight first. It shoots strait, and accurate anyway. I just don't like the tight lipped attitude of the customer service, but it seems typical in today's world.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Axelwik

They won't just send you a replacement sight? Easy enough to change on a GP. Beats sending the whole gun in.
Old November 30, 2012, 09:41 PM   #12
coyota1

Quote:
They won't just send you a replacement sight? Easy enough to change on a GP. Beats sending the whole gun in.
That's what I asked Ruger customer service, but of course that would be too easy. That's why I'm ready to just buy one. If they know about this issue, then they should be forthcoming with me, but they wouldn't cut to the chase.
Old November 30, 2012, 11:03 PM   #13
mmb713

The cost of a front sight is less than shipping the gun to Ruger. I'd just buy another sight. I replaced mine with their red insert sight years ago. I had a hard time seeing the original front sight when firing at black bullseye targets at indoor ranges.
Old December 1, 2012, 08:12 AM   #14
GP100man

The Barrel is`nt squared up with the frame.

Search "crooked or cocked barrel" & see what happens .

It`s been a issue with just not Rugers but all makes of revolvers .

Some slip by QC & judging by the numbers of Ruger revolvers for sale in my neck of the woods Ruger can`t build em fast enuff !!
Old December 1, 2012, 08:23 AM   #15
nuclearmeltdown

Sounds like when you called Ruger, they assumed that the barrel wasn't screwed in the whole way. I've had this on a Blackhawk, Single-Six, and S&W Model 17. I sent the Single-Six to Ruger and they had it back to me within seven days. No charge for the repair or return shipping.

If your front sight change fixed it though, no worries.
Old December 1, 2012, 12:34 PM   #16
mavracer

Heck throw the old GP a bone HiViz makes a replacement fiber optic fron for the GPs. I love mine makes it a bunch easier to pick up the sight in moderate light.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old December 1, 2012, 12:56 PM   #17
coyota1

HiVis might be the answer.
Old December 2, 2012, 02:46 PM   #18
John D

Another vote for the Hi-Viz sights....recently put them on my old GP100 and was pleasantly surprised. Easiest change ou can make.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:21 PM   #19
Dan-O

I would go with the HiViz regardless as well.
Old December 3, 2012, 06:50 PM   #20
coyota1

Quote:
Another vote for the Hi-Viz sights....recently put them on my old GP100 and was pleasantly surprised. Easiest change ou can make.
When you changed your front sight, did your point of impact change?
Old December 3, 2012, 08:52 PM   #21
John D

Didn't print it on paper....I just kept hitting the cans, rocks, whatever! Point of aim was excellent.
Old December 3, 2012, 10:45 PM   #22
boattale

Call back and ask for a supervisor. And if that doesn't get you a new sight, manager. And then the V.P. for customer service. Polite but firm and 90 to nothing you get your new sight for that same nothing.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:33 AM   #23
coyota1

I do the supervisor/manager thing. I don't know why the woman was being so evasive, but I may be able to pin him down. 5 il git you ten, I'll get a front sight.
Old December 4, 2012, 09:24 AM   #24
chewie146

I think the stock front sight blade is all of 8 bucks. Just buy one from midway or somewhere and install. It's not a difficult process. Just take your time with the hole drilling.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:50 AM   #25
coyota1

I did call customer service, and they are going to send me a new front sight free of charge. I asked the person (this time a guy) if he just could send me a replacement, and he didn't hesitate, although he wouldn't get specific as to what the issue is. ??? I won't look a gift horse in the mouth, but on the other hand it shouldn't have been sent out this way in the first place. I did carefully examine the barrel frame mate up, and a turn in any direction even a thousandth of an inch would give it a canted look.