The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 4, 2010, 04:58 PM   #1
magnumtagem

remington 870 problem

brandnew gun and the first shot will not extract finally had to force fully pull on pump very hard to eject shell. The shell cabered fine. Pulled barrel off checked chamber for nay burrs it was smooth as glass. checked shell for any damage looked fine. Tryed another couple shells with the same result. High base shells eject alittle sticky but he low base shells stick and is very unexceptable. Has anyone else had this problem. Seems to me chamber might be slighly over sized.

thanks
Old September 4, 2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Bones

I would try to re-chamber the first hull and see if there is a problem. I assume that these shells are not reloads,right? Also I would cycle the action with a empty magazine. Plus be sure the chamber is bone dry.
Old September 4, 2010, 05:52 PM   #3
magnumtagem

first hull

Well the only way the spent shell fits back in is if i line upthe extractor mark on shell to extractor groove on chmber and it is a tight fit. i used rem oil on action slides and then wiped dry action would still move untill the extractor hit shell rim. chamber is dry and clean. I sent an email to remington also.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:45 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

This is a common problem with newer pump guns, and most of all, when used with cheap ammo.
The worst offender seems to be bulk ammo, especally from Walmart.

Another cause is a failure to clean a new gun, especially the chamber and barrel as recommended by the owner's manual.

So, clean the chamber to remove the packing gunk, and try a better brand of shells.
Again, this is quite commom and is mostly related to cheap shells.
Old September 4, 2010, 06:50 PM   #5
3Bn/8th INF

870 prob

Scrub the factory glaze outta the chamber with a brass chamber brush.
Old September 5, 2010, 12:23 AM   #6
b.thomas

Try polishing the chamber: 4/0 steel wool, wrapped around a bore brush, using lots of of oil and about five minutes with a high speed drill.
Seems to be a common problem with a express 870 but not so with the Wingmaster.
Old September 5, 2010, 12:43 AM   #7
magnumtagem

Thanks

I will polish the chamber brass brush and see if that works. I also contacted another guy that told me the same things that you are.
Old September 5, 2010, 03:04 AM   #8
Gunplummer

Not shooting 3" shells in a 2 3/4 " chamber are you?
Old September 5, 2010, 11:22 PM   #9
magnumtagem

Hmm

I would hope the gun would not let you shoot a 3 inch in a 2 and 3/4 but no its a Remington express 2 3/4 and 3 inch. But i did use some 400 grit wetted sand paper and very lightly polished the chamber. i WENT OUT AND SHOT IT TODAY AND IT SHOT FINE. FIRST SHELL STUCK LIKE A SOB THEN IT GOT BETTER. I talked to my hunting Buddy and his research into the problem found the same answers thats the newer Remington shot guns some have ribbed tool marks left in the chamber. Its to bad that a great gun manufacturer would allow this out the door and not address it with a gift card or something for a new barrel or gun smith coverage. oh one more thing I took federall shot with me this time with the brass base instead of steal on the winchester. So i will try the winchester tomarow and let ya know if i have a problem there.
Old September 8, 2010, 08:25 AM   #10
Gunplummer

You can fire all kinds of shells in different guns. Shotgun shells are not measured the way most people think.
Old September 11, 2010, 09:20 AM   #11
magnumtagem

now even the Winchester shot with steal cases ejects yea
Old September 11, 2010, 09:56 AM   #12
jmortimer

If you are to believe all the 870 posts, there are no problems with current production 870 Express shotguns. What you discovered seems to be most common problem, rough internals and lack of care in machining. Fortunately you can fix the problem and will have a good shotgun. If it were me, I send it back to Remington and make them fix it. Then you would have years of trouble free service.
Old September 11, 2010, 10:10 AM   #13
Rifleman1776

Brand new gun? I wouldn't screw around. Empty and take back to dealer for repair or exchange.
Old September 11, 2010, 06:37 PM   #14
magnumtagem

I wish

Remington from what ive heard is not aking this serious. Im not sure I have sent them an email. I bought the gun at walmart and they wouldnt return or exchange it for me. They preaty much simply said All gun sales are finall and yes I talked to a manager and then got very angry. I have emailed walmart also and believe if anyone sells a product they need to beable to help a costomer or have answers for them as to phone numbers so on so they can get things exchanged or new barlls sent to them.