The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 24, 2013, 04:00 PM   #26
rajbcpa

I own a couple of Beretta doubles and a Spanish SxS.

Many tasks that these guys are doing can be accomplished faster, better and less expensive using a CNC machine. Unfortunately, sooner or later these guys will be out of work.

Businesses either improve their processes or they go out of business. This shop will not be around in a few years.
Old April 24, 2013, 05:07 PM   #27
jaguarxk120

The truth of the whole thing is the small gunmakers that only produce a few guns a year, sell all they make. And they are booked up for years in advance. There are many people around the world willing to pay any price for hand made quality.
Old April 24, 2013, 07:10 PM   #28
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Many tasks that these guys are doing can be accomplished faster, better and less expensive using a CNC machine. Unfortunately, sooner or later these guys will be out of work.
Some of these folks have been hurt by the global recession, but while their receivers are typically CNC'd by someone, the handwork for fit and finish is better than any machine. Certain things can only be judged by the human eye, the human sense of touch, and folks appreciate the craftsmanship
Old April 24, 2013, 08:19 PM   #29
saltydog452

Thanks for the post and the video.

I was hoping to get a visual idea of how the barrels are regulated, and which shotshell components were used in the regulation process.

salty
Old April 24, 2013, 08:24 PM   #30
shouldazagged

Quote:
This just an example of an "if I had the money" type rifle I would be after. I love big bore guns. Especially side by side big bores. I just happened to find the price tag on this one and thought I'd share
You want fries with that?
Old April 24, 2013, 08:35 PM   #31
shouldazagged

Quote:
According to your thought process, there is no need for musicians, artists, or anything similar, because a computer can do that anyway
Agreed. Possibly CNC and robotics could approximate a lot of things, but it takes a human touch and human devotion to quality to give a gun like that a soul.

I've never been able to afford a top-flight double gun, or any other very expensive weapon. Never will unless I hit the lottery or publish my best-seller. But I can handle one of the gems and feel what went into making it a work of art.

We have a very fine historical arms museum in my city. I can get lost looking at the wonderfully crafted antique weapons, or the lesser ones redolent of history, and get a feeling I can't get from a Glock or SIG or Ruger. It's the echo of human hands on steel.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:49 PM   #32
BigD_in_FL

Here's a double rifle barrel regulation video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_0iK8cT9wo

Here's a video from the Discovery Channel on H&H shotgun making:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMmau4lSDuY