The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 12, 2010, 02:42 AM   #1
DasFriek

500 SPX sight adjustment bottomed out and still shooting high.

There is very little info on the web about the 500SPX its mostly 930SPX but i feel mine is needing the spacer Mossberg has been using on those.

I checked for the canted sight,mines straight so thats the biggy imo.
Ive hunted for a taller fiber optic insert and to no avail.
From what ive read about the 930 its spacer is what i need,but i have a feeling that will require a barrel replacement and id rather only do that as a last resort.

Honestly i bought the gun as the sights were a big selling point since i plan on alot of range shooting since SG shells are as cheap as 9mm now.

At 50' im 3" high with rifled slugs,but this is no hunting rifle,its HD only.
So at the average 7 yard shots with 00buck id say its possibly 1" high and thats nothing.
I could NOT test this as the range i was at only allows SG shooting at 50' ONLY.

If anyone knows of replacement higher fiber inserts i can do myself pls lmk,but the must be made for the gun or so close i can make it look stock.

For those unfamiliar its an AR style front sight,odd on a SG i know.But i really like it at the range.I did look for AR fiber inserts locally but didnt see anything,but i havent done a good web search yet.
Old January 13, 2010, 11:17 PM   #2
DasFriek

Hmm,no one?
It seems info on these 500's is scarce,but i think its just a 500 tactikool with the 930SPX sights added as well as porting.
3" high at 50' may be 1" or less at 7' so am i worrying over nothing?
Its a HD gun ONLY slugs are just range ammo for fun.With 00buck and with a spread i doubt ill even be able to tell its 1" high at 7'?

Ill take guesses on this as i think not many have experience with this gun.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:33 AM   #3
the rifleer

i dont think i would worry about it.at 50 yards, 3'' isnt much, just aim a little low or use a different sight picture.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:50 AM   #4
noyes

You could try a different brand (Winchester, Remington, Federal etc)of shells.
Old January 14, 2010, 12:54 AM   #5
zippy13

Yep, it sounds like you need some additional height up front. I had a similar experience with my Ruger old army black powder revolver. With target loads it was right on, but with hotter field loads the rear sight wouldn't go low enough. The solution was as simple as ordering a taller sight blade from Ruger. Have you contacted Mossberg directly? They may offer a part, or fix that your local gun shop doesn't have. As a second option, since you seem to be using your Mossberg as a target toy, have you tried lower velocity loads?
Old January 14, 2010, 06:46 AM   #6
DasFriek

Ive put different loads threw it,but i think only one brand of slugs.I didn't know different brands of slugs can affect shot placement,im new too SG's.

I havent talked to Mossberg directly,but did search their site and the whole web actually for different heights on the fiber optic insert,with no luck or hint of one even being made.My guns sights are a copy of the 930spx so if you see fiber sight inserts for those they will work in mine.

Im sure i could use lower velocity ammo,but whats the fun in that? lol
Its almost like i try and torture my shoulder with this new toy

But yeh im gonna try Mossberg directly now and if nothing can be done ill just aim a bit lower at 50'.
Now that i think back i remember the full body silhouette targets even lead bird shot and buckshot were hitting shoulders and neck while i was aiming CM shots.
But in a true life situation i doubt ill EVER be making 50' shots while doing HD.
More like 7' and i think that will be only 1" high with 3" 00buck i doubt that 1" is gonna make any differance.