The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 3, 2010, 06:11 PM   #1
milkman_89

Looking for a Coach gun for HD

Ok so I've been reading and reading and have finally decided to just ask. What I'm looking for is a "Coach gun" type SG (18-20 inch barrel) with external hammers and ejectors.

Most everywhere I look they don't have ejectors, for Cowboy Shooting mainly

I've read other forums and a lot of people like the Stoeger Coach gun, but they don't have external hammers.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:21 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=390851
Right on page one for ya'...
Brent
Old January 3, 2010, 06:45 PM   #3
FALPhil

I am kind of curious as to what your reasons were for deciding on an old-style shotgun for HD. It doesn't seem like it lends itself to that role in this day and time. Don't get me wrong - I am a HUGE believer in shotguns for HD, but most people these days would select a repeater or autoloader.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
oneounceload

They are very simple to operate, even under duress. They offer two very quick shots, and equivalent barrel length guns are shorter than a pump or semi
Old January 3, 2010, 06:49 PM   #5
Balog

Are the Rossi's available 1. with internal hammers & 2. in stainless?
Old January 3, 2010, 07:15 PM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Rossi is a low buck gun brand. The Rossi coach ended importation in 1988 it seems so a used one is what you will find. I doubt they made them in stainless.
Brent
Old January 3, 2010, 08:43 PM   #7
Balog

Is anyone currently making hammerless coach guns in stainless with ejectors?
Old January 3, 2010, 09:19 PM   #8
oneounceload

Stoeger has one, I believe, designed for defense
Old January 3, 2010, 09:32 PM   #9
drjjpdc

Here's a nice SXS, external hammers to have fun with plus HD.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=152577885
Old January 3, 2010, 11:03 PM   #10
milkman_89

drjjdc

what's the make of this gun on gunbroker. The description says nothing about it, just that it's a coach gun and that's about it
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=152577885
Old January 3, 2010, 11:18 PM   #11
sleeper614

stroegers home defense shotgun is nice. gonna get myself one.it comes with a flashlight/laser mount. its called double cefense 21st century
Old January 4, 2010, 09:22 AM   #12
troy_mclure

why do you want external hammers?

why not get a cheap/used sxs and cut the barrel?
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old January 4, 2010, 10:26 AM   #13
milkman_89

main reason for external hammers is so that I can keep it loaded with the hammers down

thought about cutting down a long barrel, going to use that as a last resort
Old January 4, 2010, 12:29 PM   #14
Laz

I am also enamored of the external hammer coach guns, but the more I think it through they do seem to present other problems. While you gain the advantage in storing the gun loaded but uncocked, you must cock both hammers to make the gun ready. Most guns (and the people who shoot them) cannot cock both hammers easily in one motion, meaning two separate actions. Most, if not all, have extractors, not ejectors, so even if you can flip the empties out quickly, you still have to load two chambers, close the action, cock two hammers and, in most cases, flip off the automatic safety.

With a hammerless coach gun, at least some of them, if you are concerned about the action being cocked, it is possible to drop the hammers on snap-caps, remove the forearm, replace the snap-caps with live shells, close it and replace the forearm, resulting in a loaded gun with an uncocked action. The gun must have rebounding internal hammers to do this. Then you merely have to break the gun open, close it and snick off the safety to make it ready. Faster than cocking two hammers, IMO. Reloading merely means dumping the spent shells, replacing them, closing the action and snicking off the safety since the action has been recocked by opening.

One can always de-activate the automatic safety making it manual and eliminating one step in both cases.

All in all, I personally would rather have a single-shot with a hammer and an ejector than an external-hammered coach gun with extractors. Better yet, is a good basic pump, IMO.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 4, 2010, 01:23 PM   #15
milkman_89

Thank you Laz, you brought up some very valid points that it didnt think about. From what you were saying about using a hammerless and taking off the forearm would you know any praticual models in mind?
Old January 4, 2010, 02:13 PM   #16
Big Bill

Quote:
Better yet, is a good basic pump, IMO.
I agree with Laz's statement here. Just buy a Mossberg pump action and be done with it.

500 Road Blocker - 6 shot

Setting this apart from our other tactical shotguns is the evident muzzle brake, designed to reduce muzzle jump and recoil. With drilled and tapped receiver, pistol grip and heat shield rounding out its features, the Road Blocker™ is stopping consumers in their tracks!
Click here to learn more about our 500® Special Purpose line.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...ction=products
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 4, 2010, 02:49 PM   #17
Laz

Quote:
From what you were saying about using a hammerless and taking off the forearm would you know any praticual models in mind?
Well, I am not sure about Stoeger as I don't currently own one, but I don't believe it will work with a Stoeger. I have a Remington Spartan (Baikal) and it works fine. I got the idea from the owner's manual of a Beretta Silver Hawk where the method was recommended as a way to store the gun with chambers empty and hammers down. I just extended the logic and when removing the snap caps, replaced them with live shells. Since, as the schematic shows, the Baikal coach gun has rebounding internal hammers, it works because the firing pins are not extended when down. I have asked others if they can see something I am missing but have, so far, gotten no negative feedback. It seems safer than leaving the gun cocked and faster than leaving the gun unloaded. I do keep the gun laying on its side on a sturdy shelf where it is highly unlikely to fall.

Unfortunately, there is no one currently importing the Baikal and I am uncertain about the Stoeger or older, used Stevens, or other brands.

I’m just a nobody, trying to tell everybody, about Somebody, who can save anybody.
Old January 4, 2010, 06:49 PM   #18
milkman_89

hmmm....well do any Stoeger owners know if this trick works the Stoeger coach guns
Old January 4, 2010, 07:39 PM   #19
Balog

I must admit I find the worry about storing a SxS cocked a bit odd. How is it any worse than keeping a pump cocked? Is there a technical issue I am unaware of?
Old January 4, 2010, 10:15 PM   #20
drjjpdc

Milkman,

There is a CAI at the end of the ad. It stands for Century Arms Inc.

www.centuryarms.com

Also try this more specific link and type in the word "coach" in the search box

http://www.centuryarms.biz/search.asp

Last edited by drjjpdc; January 4, 2010 at 10:21 PM.
Old January 4, 2010, 10:25 PM   #21
Laz

Quote:
I must admit I find the worry about storing a SxS cocked a bit odd. How is it any worse than keeping a pump cocked?
Your point is well taken and many share it. I think the concern among those who have concerns is that the safety, at least usually, does not block the hammers/firing pins but only blocks the triggers. The concern would be there is nothing to prevent the hammers from dropping due to a jar or mechanical failure. Still there are many who feel as you do, even though I am not one. I also keep my pump chamber empty and hammer down. That's my approach. YMMV.

Old January 4, 2010, 10:47 PM   #22
knight0334

Since you're looking for a hammered SxS, I thought I'd offer you some gun pics from my collection. My only multi-shot shotgun(all my others are single shots by choice).

12ga 24" barrel 3" chamber Cylinder/Extra-Full

Old January 5, 2010, 12:14 AM   #23
jfruser

I don't own a SxS or O/U shotgun, but one point in their favor is the ability to store them empty near a quick-access safe that contains both a pistol and a reload (or more) for the shotgun. In the same amount of time it takes one to be armed (from a quick-access safe) with a pistol or revolver, you can be armed with a 12ga.

The utility becomes apparent if you have small children who are not as yet gunproofed (think toddlers). They are into everything, don't have a lick of sense, and are not yet dependably trainable.
Old January 5, 2010, 11:52 AM   #24
Laz

Quote:
12ga 24" barrel 3" chamber Cylinder/Extra-Full
That's an interesting configuration - cylinder/extra-full. That's not very common, is it? (Perhaps showing my ignorance here...)

Old January 5, 2010, 01:33 PM   #25
Balog

Just make sure you store all shells in a locked safe if you go that way...