The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 6, 2013, 07:22 PM   #1
Ozzieman

Kriss Vector CRB carbine.

This weekend I had the chance to put several hundred rounds through a Kriss Vector CRB carbine.
The negative, the sights were hokey at best. Imagine two boxes setting on their corners. Multiple fast shots, the sights were distracting and set to high on the gun. The first thing I would do when I own one is to remove them and mount an Ainpoint. The magazines were Glock which was a good thing but getting them in was difficult since they set up into the mag well, fit was not perfect for a 2000$ gun. They would not fall out of the gun which to me is a major problem. It needs the higher round count mags so you can pull them out.
That’s it for the negative.
I own a MP5 clone, a berretta storm carbine, did own an Uzi, Mac 10.
I would give them all up for the Kriss in a heat beat.
Trigger was very good, Accuracy was much better than I expected. Offhand 25 yards 3 inch groups were easy even with rapid firing. Recoil surprised me. Not objectionable in any way but much more than I thought it would from all that I have heard about the Kriss. But all straight back into the shoulder. The best way to describe the gun, it was like the fake suppressor was being held in a vice. NO lift at all, none. This made multiple shots extremely easy.
The gun looks big and boxy but put your hand directly in front of the mag well and under the suppressor and the alignment and weight are about as perfect as any gun of its type that I have ever held and fired. When held this way it’s in the perfect position to hit the bolt release with the thumb. They come with a vertical grip forward of the well but it felt completely unneeded and in the way.
The safety was easy to use but a little high for me.
The collapsible stock looks odd but was designed very well and feels very natural when it’s up against your shoulder. The cheek rest is small but works well and comfortable when shooting.
Function was flawless and the expended cases were thrown slightly forward and about 20 feet to the right. They ended up in a pile the size of your out stretched arms. The exit port (that’s the best way to describe it) looks big enough to feed a machine gun belt. It makes clearing failures easily and checking that the gun is empty is about as easy as any gun I have ever seen.
If it sounds like I was impressed, you’re right.
I hope everyone here at TFL gets a chance to handle and fire one someday. You will be impressed.
http://www.kriss-usa.com/products/ca...tor-crb-45-acp

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2
Double Naught Spy

I shot one last year. We tested a variety of ammo with it. 3" at 25 yards is not good accuracy from a carbine and you can do much better than that with the gun, but I still found it lacking compared to the Beretta Storm in the same caliber for accuracy.

You liked the trigger. The three of us shooting the one I shot all thought the trigger was horrible, including the owner. None of us thought that the recoil control mechanism that is supposed to make the gun so smooth turn out to not be worth a darn in semi-auto. Maybe it works in full auto, but in semi, it was pretty meaningless. It is the main reason for the huge expense of the gun.

We also found the sights to be terrible. Ours would not stay tight and that was from the factory.

None of us thought the safety was very well situated or easy to use.

We tested a variety of ammo and out gun had numerous cycling issues.

I thought it was a really cool gun, but thought that it left a lot to be desired, especially for the price. To be honest, none of us could figure out a very good reason to have one other than to just have it. It didn't seem to have the makings of a good defensive carbine because of the ergonomics. The trigger made for more difficult precision shooting. So it would not be a good hunting gun either. That leaves just having it and plinking with it and that makes it a very expensive plinker.

Sorry, but we just had a different opinion.

However, we did find that we could get over 1600 fps from some of the 165 gr. defensive ammo. I thought that was really outstanding. Of course, you could do that with the same ammo in another 16" barreled carbine as well.
Old May 7, 2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Ozzieman

I am surprised at your experience with the trigger. This one felt better than any Glock that I have fired and better than my 26.
I agree that the Beretta storm has much better accuracy but this gun was much better than my MP5 clone. Also we didn’t really do any tries for accuracy, these were rapid rounds and multiple shots. I guess we were having so much fun that we really didn’t try for accuracy.
We only thing I fired were factory ball and lead reloads and some of the lead were light target loads. The owner fired only hard ball and between the two of us fired +400 rounds with 0 failures.
I will also have to agree about the price, it is over the top and there are a lot of “better” or just as good for less.
Now if I could afford a real HK MP5 semi then I wouldn't give the Kriss a second glance.
none of us could figure out a very good reason to have one other than to just have it
And that is about the only reason I want one.
Different opinions are always welcome, thanks.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old May 7, 2013, 06:45 PM   #4
BubbaBlades

Except for the stock and barrel length, my Kriss pistol has the same trigger, sights and related features as the carbine. I have had flawless performance with this gun for hundreds of rounds and the addition of an optical sight has allowed me to obtain sub 3" groups at 50 yards. As far as what use there is for a Kriss, I keep 3 loaded 13 round mags and one 30 round mag in my briefcase and consider the package a great traveling companion.

Mark
Old May 7, 2013, 07:07 PM   #5
ShipWreck

I was interested in one for a while - but after seeing MSAR and what happened to them, I was a bit hesitant to invest in something a small company makes - it is their only commercial gun (I think I may have read something about it being a large company, but guns were something new for them - but maybe I am mistaken)

Anyway - some reviews showing some large groups at 50 yards also dissuaded me. If a 45 cal 1911 can shoot pretty decent groups at 50 yards... The 4-5" groups I saw reported by many made me lose interest. Hell, I can shoot 1/2" groups at 50 yards with my PS90.
Old May 7, 2013, 10:58 PM   #6
DATL

Kriss Vector CRB carbine.

I think a lot of it comes down to whether you see value in a pistol caliber carbine and are willing to accept those ballistics. I know this sounds like a no brainer but I talk to a lot of people that seem to have inflated expectations of it or wanna compare it to a rifle cartridge.

I have been getting rather nice groups at 50 yards. I like the trigger, weight, and the gun is just cool as hell.

Last edited by DATL; May 7, 2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old May 8, 2013, 06:32 AM   #7
ShipWreck

True. But, when a 1911 cam get 2.5" at 50 yards - its a shame when a 45 cal rifle can't.... And yes, I realize we are talking about a high end 1911 to do this, but still.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:22 AM   #8
Justice06RR

I have held the pistol version and like that much more than the carbine. Also seeing it dual-wielded in the latest Resident Evil movie in full auto was cool.

Way overpriced though. You can get 2 nice 1911's or a high-end AR15 for one Kriss. But I'd buy one if money was no object.
Old May 10, 2013, 08:08 AM   #9
Skans

I'll be honest here. I like the KRISS based on looks alone. If I bought one, it wouldn't be for performance, since pistol ammo in a gun that size in semi-auto really does not present any recoil problem anyway. I am tempted to get one some day, but I'll wait and see if prices drop a little on used ones.