The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

View Poll Results: How to keep my HD SG?
Unchambered and saftey Off. 56 60.22%
Chmabered and saftey On. 37 39.78%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 17, 2010, 11:27 AM   #51
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Have a barrel to chamber chord steel lock in it. Loaded, unchambered, safety on. Keep key on you at all times, even when sleeping. These are the responsibilities of owning a fire-arm.
I will disagree with the above!
It is not my responsibility to render my gun useless to me... It is everyone's responsibility to keep their "grub hooks" off my gun that may be anywhere in my home.

My kids were taught with a slap to their cookie snatchers to leave certain items alone and guns were right up there with knives, tape measures and other dangerous items. they in turn made sure their guests did the same. I did make sure the guns were in my room when they friends over.

My responsibility to my family requires a firearm be at the ready and a padlock on a cable renders it's use delayed.

I never seen a trigger lock or or any other gun lock until I was an adult!

I never personally knew a child killed by irresponsible use of a gun until I was an adult.
I see a direct connection to those...

The NANNY STATE mentality and the suggestion that whoopin' a kid's bottom for misbehavior took the responsibility from the gun owning parent and placed it on the maker of the weapons.

I always kept my gun hot and it did fall over a few times. I am glad I did not see an AD but once I learned these are not a drop safe safety device, I went to empty chamber storage.
Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 11:58 AM   #52
hasbro_fan

Third option

Unchambered and safety on.
Old January 17, 2010, 06:50 PM   #53
DasFriek

Quote:
Unchambered and safety on.
No way thats gonna happen,about as much as Hogdogs putting a cable lock on his guns.
I feel a gun that cant be holstered should have one safety device to defeat,2 is one too many.
So unchambered and safety off is the furthest id go.
But as of yet since i started this thread my 500 sits next to me chambered and safety on.

If someone can convince me that the internal parts will weaken over time being left in the cocked position,id reconsider keeping it unchambered,uncocked and safety off.
I know that keeps wear and stress off the springs and sear correct?
Im almost 40 now and plan to at least make it to 80 lol so i figure id like any gun i have in my possession to last 40 years without a major rebuild.
I replace recoil and firing pin springs on my auto pistols at 500-1000 rounds with factory springs,and then every 1000 rounds with quality Wolff springs.
Old January 17, 2010, 07:32 PM   #54
grubbylabs

The only thing I would worry about would be the spring for the firing pin.
Old January 17, 2010, 08:50 PM   #55
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

A spring in compressed condition will only weaken under severe heat... severe being house fire hot! Otherwise it is cyclic action that could weaken the spring. The only risk from keeping a gun loaded "hot" is the possible discharge following a drop, kick or other severe hit.

I am so used to going for my action release, I do not fret dropping the hammer on an empty chamber... I just re grooved my routine to go for the action release tab then loading the chamber.

Brent
Old January 17, 2010, 10:37 PM   #56
grubbylabs

Ya I was just reading some on the hand gun side and they all were basically saying the same thing, the spring is fine compressed on a mag, its the duty cycle that wears them out.
Old January 18, 2010, 12:54 AM   #57
DasFriek

Well,after reading what you 2 have said it makes sense from the aspect of most other info online about springs in a static position not wearing,and ones being cycled are the ones that wear.