The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 14, 2010, 01:45 PM   #1
Uncle Ben

How much more recoil from 3" shells?

I'm wondering how much more kick you can expect from a 3", compared to a 2 3/4". I know the maker and the type of load will vary this, so I'm just wondering what the difference is on average, in your opinions.

Also, I'd like to know how many of you shoot 3" shells, rather than 2 3/4", and why? (Please apply your answer to both shot, and slugs)

Thanks for you input,
-Ben
Old January 14, 2010, 01:50 PM   #2
oneounceload

Ben there are some recoil calculators on the net that can give you some exact numbers on what the actual recoil will be. Felt, or perceived, will be different to each individual, depending on physical build, the way the gun fits, etc......

Suffice to say, 3" shells will have more p;ayload and generally more powder, two of the three things measured in calculating recoil
Old January 14, 2010, 02:06 PM   #3
NightSleeper

Quote:
Also, I'd like to know how many of you shoot 3" shells, rather than 2 3/4", and why? (Please apply your answer to both shot, and slugs)
Depends what I'm hunting.

Pheasant, 2.75". Don't see a need for anything larger.

Turkey, 3", usually a 3.5" in the chamber for my first shot. Turkeys is like mini-tanks unless you head/neck shoot 'em.

Deer, 2.75" slugs. Don't see a need for anything larger.
Old January 14, 2010, 02:39 PM   #4
Big Bill

Uncle - I seriously don't even feel any difference. But then, recoil is not an unpleasent experience for me. It's part of the fun of shooting.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old January 14, 2010, 02:43 PM   #5
Uncle Ben

The fact that you go by "Big Bill" might have something to do with that
Old January 14, 2010, 03:09 PM   #6
BigJimP

Oh, oh .....now we're picking on the big guys ......sniff, sniff ....

OneOunce gave you the technical answer - and it depends of course. But a couple of guidelines:

For any given gun weight, and a given velocity on the shell: If you increase the weight of the charge by 1/8oz of shot it will increase the recoil about 21% / if you increase the load 1/4oz it will increase the recoil about 43% ...

So if you are shooting fast, heavy payload 3" shells - it can be a lot more recoil.

Do I shoot 3" shells / yes for waterfowl and pheasant occasionally. 99% of the time, I'm a clay target shooter so nothing bigger than 2 3/4" shells - and my primary load for 12ga is 1oz of shot, at around 1225 fps - so in the mid-range for recoil.

Remember recoil is cumulative / if you shoot 6 boxes in the morning / then go out in the afternoon - and shoot 6 more ... it builds and will weigh on you a little bit mentally ( even though I'm 6'5" and 290 lbs ) ....a little arthritis in my hands and wrists, bad shoulders (one rebuilt this yr) ....but I feel it in the top of my shoulders, etc ....if I'm pounding out full power loads all day. If its a 4 day tournament / a 4 day hunt ....it wears me down a little.
Old January 14, 2010, 03:30 PM   #7
CajunBass

Depends on the situation. I dont shoot anything but 3" No. 1, buckshot for deer hunting. If I take the gun out back and shoot down the hill, it kicks like a mule. If however, I'm shooting the same gun/load at a deer, I can honestly say I have never felt it.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 14, 2010, 03:38 PM   #8
oneounceload

Quote:
I can honestly say I have never felt it.
You can honestly say your CONSCIOUS mind doesn't remember feeling it; however your shoulder did ACTUALLY feel it - it had to. The issue comes with prolonged shooting of heavy loads. Go out top a trap field - you'll see the guys who swore by 1-1/8 full-power loads for decades.....they're the ones with the release triggers because they have flinches, who, even with all of the latest and greatest recoil devices still only shoot one or two rounds because of the pain.

Recoil, and its evil sister - hearing loss - are the two main banes of shooting a lot and shooting heavy loads, no matter the discipline.

If you feel you absolutely have to shoot a very powerful load due to a particular application, then do so, but do it sparingly and realize that damage IS being done - whether it bothers you at the moment or not.
Old January 14, 2010, 08:08 PM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The only 3" loads I've used in the last 20 years or so have been waterfowl and turkey loads.

2 3/4" slugs have kept the freezer filled, no need for longer loads.

Same for defense. A good 00 load or 8 or 9 pellets will reduce threat levels nicely while allowing for fast followups on other targets.

Trust me, no need for doubletaps with a shotgun.
Old January 14, 2010, 10:55 PM   #10
grubbylabs

I shoot a gun with a mercury recoil reducer so I do not feel a big increase on my 3" shells. I can also bang away on 3.5" shells and not fell it enough to bother me.
Old January 14, 2010, 11:41 PM   #11
reloader28

I use 2 3/4" for rabbits and most birds.
I use 3" on geese and turkeys just for more shot. As was already stated, there is more powder in a 3 because of the bigger shot load.
My turkey loads are only going 1250 fps, but with 1 7/8 ounce of buffered lead shot, they kick alot harder then the 1 1/8 ounce steel going 1400fps.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:00 AM   #12
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloader28
My turkey loads are only going 1250 fps, but with 1 7/8 ounce of buffered lead shot, they kick alot harder then the 1 1/8 ounce steel going 1400fps.
In a simple comparison (F=MV^2):
1250^2 x 1.875 = 2929687.5
1400^2 x 1.125 = 2205000
2205000/2929687.5 = 0.75264
Looks like about a 25% difference.
Old January 15, 2010, 11:55 PM   #13
LollerCopter

really the difference isnt worth noting. u wont feel it anymore unless you shoot 100 shells then u might be a very slight bit amount more soar but thats it. not really any diff. for all practical reasons anyway. im sure there are a few shells out there that punch way more, i just dont know ofem
Old January 15, 2010, 11:59 PM   #14
LollerCopter

ah yes above post they talk about those damned turkey loads. Ive shot some of those, the 3 1/2 inch not just 3 inch, that shoot a whole crap ton of #6 shot. but still, i gotta say, even from a full choke, if ur out hunting or whatever the kick isnt gonna have a factor at all. now if ur skeet or trap shooting, i dont even think ur allowed to use anything below 7 1/2 shot and i know nothing in that shot range that kicks more than the other. ... those turkey loads do pack a punch though when u think about it.. not enough to flinch too much over though. hell i wouldnt care a damn bit if u wanna know personally, guns that recoil enough to me are things like 30-06 or 300 win mag at least. but deffinetley not a 12 guage of anything. maybe a ten guage though
Old January 16, 2010, 02:25 AM   #15
TsocketslugK

generally with a 3" your getting more shot(more recoil) most 2 3/4" load don't exceed 1 1/4 or 1 1/2 oz now there are some crazy loads out there like a 2 oz 2 3/4" ....But anything under 1 7/8 oz shouldn't give you a problem personally i find anything under 2 1/4 oz pleasant really. don't worry about the trivial things just go and have fun

another argument is what a bigger factor with recoil velocity or shot weight well all shot-shells are about the same velocity lead wise 1200=1300 fps and not shot wise so a 1 1/8 oz @ 1200 doesn't feel like 1 5/8 oz @ 1200