The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2010, 12:57 AM   #1
colospgsAVID

Two beads on an 835

Hi all,
I am in a very good position to buy a Mossberg 835 Ultimag shotgun. The gun in question has a 28" barrel and is in woodland camo. Included is another 24" barrel in a newer applied style realtree camo and some chokes. The pattern of the gun and stock is pretty simple so I'm thinking its pretty old(it's well used and kinda dirty too). I can get it for a pittance and will do so regardless of any replies. In the brief glance I gave the gun, I noticed it had two sight beads. I want to know where on the barrel does the "midpoint" sight bead rest.
The 28" barrel has a bent choke that is "stuck in". My thought is to cut down the 28" barrel. I'd be most happy if the mid bead is somewhere close to the end of the barrel if I cut it to 20". Anyone own one with a 28" barrel? If so, wheres the mid bead?

Last edited by colospgsAVID; January 9, 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old January 9, 2010, 02:08 AM   #2
zippy13

If your barrel is typical, the mid rib bead is centered between the rib supports directly above the magazine cap. It's a little too far back to be used as the front sight of a 20-inch barrel.

Have you considered cutting the barrel just behind the choke threads? Or, take an optimistic view, and hope the choke can be removed and the barrel repaired.
Old January 10, 2010, 07:51 PM   #3
colospgsAVID

Thanks for the reply I've got the gun and will see about having it cut just past the damage. I was able to get the choke out but the end of the barrel and choke are all buggered up
Old January 10, 2010, 08:03 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Verify that the barrel/s are over bored or not! If over bored... NO SLUGS ALLOWED!!! It will be roll stamped on the barrel.

I would cut it back to the first rib support behind the buggered section. Then drill a dimple in the rib and epoxy a small ball bearing (smaller than a BB).
Brent
Old January 11, 2010, 09:42 PM   #5
colospgsAVID

Thanks hogdogs, I've decided to cut the barrel to 18.5". Or wherever the closest rib support that's at or over it is. I was considering using a rib-mounted sight but now you have given me some more ideas. The barrel clearly states no slugs. I like the idea of a simple bead sight.

I'm not to worried about the 28" barrel as I have a 24" barrel too.

Last edited by colospgsAVID; January 11, 2010 at 09:45 PM. Reason: included 24" barrel and chokes